U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 01:34 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,013,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Anyone remember Super Slide back by Old San Francisco Steakhouse? Anyone remember the bowling alley that was next door to the Time Warner building?
I bowled there A LOT. It was open 24 hours in the late 70s and early 80s. I worked drive in theatres then, and when we got off, we'd bowl a few games. Friends from the Lackland, Trail, Fred. Rd., and San Pedro drive ins would come bowl. For the life of me I cannot recall the name of the place right now! I remember I found a $20 bill there one night!

There also was San Pedro Bowling Lanes on Rector across from North Star Mall. I also bowled at Bowlerama on Blanco Rd a lot in my high school days, and Woodlawn Bowl in my younger days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 02:18 PM

114,159 posts, read 53,997,969 times
Not talking about Hill Country lanes are you??

Old 03-09-2010, 04:05 PM

3,136 posts, read 5,157,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I bowled there A LOT. It was open 24 hours in the late 70s and early 80s. I worked drive in theatres then, and when we got off, we'd bowl a few games. Friends from the Lackland, Trail, Fred. Rd., and San Pedro drive ins would come bowl. For the life of me I cannot recall the name of the place right now! I remember I found a $20 bill there one night!
San Antonio Sports Palace.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:06 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,168,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
San Antonio Sports Palace.
That's it! There was a lit up sign that showed the ball knocking down the pins. My gf was trying to tell me that the lanes were in the Time Warner building, but I remember they were next to what is now the Time Warner building.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:01 PM

3,136 posts, read 5,157,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
That's it! There was a lit up sign that showed the ball knocking down the pins. My gf was trying to tell me that the lanes were in the Time Warner building, but I remember they were next to what is now the Time Warner building.
San Antonio Sports Palace was located at the site of the former Spartan-Atlantic Discount Store. In fact, they just retrofitted the existing building, IIRC. Kiddie City was next door, just West of the Sports Palace/Spartan-Atlantic building -- they actually shared a common parking lot.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:32 PM

237 posts, read 700,249 times
Default Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
BudB how many books have you written about San Antonio? What inspired you to write books? I think a dollar bookstore with other economical amenities would be a hit in SA.
The 350 image book mentioned earlier is number five for me and #6 is in slow but sure progress. Getting started was by chance as a postcard history of SA, the second, "Wings Over San Antonio" came from the first one and both were image histories all done with postcards and archival fotos. Then I got serious and did a history of the Chinese in Texas titled "Chinese Heart of Texas; San Antonio's Community 1875-1975". That was followed by "TexAsia; San Antonio's Asian Communities 1978-2008" then "San Antonio; Then, Now & Always" the big, colorful postcard/foto book. Number six is a history of the Eastside and historic black community. Check out my titles here if you're interested; MEL'S OTHER BOOKS
SAPL has copies of each as far as I know.
Btw, your Dollar Book Store seems like a good idea to me; you could name it Buck Books. But books online are so cheap now you'll start with tough competition from internet sellers. I've purchased many books from Amazon.com or eBay, sometimes for pennies plus shipping and I'm talking good books even hardbacks occasionally for just a few dollars. The mailman brings them to your door so it's hard to resist and I'm amazed at how you can find nearly any title imaginable there or at other sites if you look enough.
Lastly, I was in SA today and visited the Institute of Texan Cultures Library. They have a foto folder on downtown St. Mary's St. that's loaded with some of the stores and sites you asked about previously and some may be online. That place is a gold mine of San Antonio history and fotos.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:08 PM

262 posts, read 773,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
The 350 image book mentioned earlier is number five for me and #6 is in slow but sure progress. Getting started was by chance as a postcard history of SA, the second, "Wings Over San Antonio" came from the first one and both were image histories all done with postcards and archival fotos. Then I got serious and did a history of the Chinese in Texas titled "Chinese Heart of Texas; San Antonio's Community 1875-1975". That was followed by "TexAsia; San Antonio's Asian Communities 1978-2008" then "San Antonio; Then, Now & Always" the big, colorful postcard/foto book. Number six is a history of the Eastside and historic black community. Check out my titles here if you're interested; MEL'S OTHER BOOKS
SAPL has copies of each as far as I know.
Btw, your Dollar Book Store seems like a good idea to me; you could name it Buck Books. But books online are so cheap now you'll start with tough competition from internet sellers. I've purchased many books from Amazon.com or eBay, sometimes for pennies plus shipping and I'm talking good books even hardbacks occasionally for just a few dollars. The mailman brings them to your door so it's hard to resist and I'm amazed at how you can find nearly any title imaginable there or at other sites if you look enough.
Lastly, I was in SA today and visited the Institute of Texan Cultures Library. They have a foto folder on downtown St. Mary's St. that's loaded with some of the stores and sites you asked about previously and some may be online. That place is a gold mine of San Antonio history and fotos.
Bud, congratulations on your books and all on my favorite subject, San Antonio!

I wish you the best on the Eastside book. I grew up there. My Dad opened up his barbershop at the little strip center at the corner of Nolan & Pine. The anchor store was Prassel's Drug store along with an early Piggly Wiggly, Ebrom's Printing, Nina's Beauty Salon & my Dad's place Tiny's Barber Shop. Across the street was an old Texaco station still standing with gargoyles protecting the canopy. And next to that was the old Dobb's Park Drugs. Next to the strip center was Lawrence Epp's Red & White Grocery Store.

My Dad partitioned off the barber shop in half. We lived in back of the barbershop in one little room. The back of the strip center served as our back yard. And what a back yard it was. It was lined with trees and Dad built us a tree house complete with steps to enter it.

Dad's barber shop was a busy place. He always had customers from all over the city. Dad served in the First Cav and a lot of his Army buddies and officers would come get a hair cut. On Saturdays and the summer I would shine shoes. I would hear many a story about politics and current events shining shoes. Some of the subjects I remember are Billy Sol Estes (who by the way is still alive & residing in Brady, Texas), George Wallace & the American Party, LBJ, JFK, just to name a few. Dad would sell used comics and buy, trade & sell pocletbooks. If Amazon had been around back then my Dad would have made millions with those books. The barber shop was also a drop off for dry cleaning. Dad fixed & repaired small appliances. He even sharpened scissors and clippers. Quite a entrepeneur he was.

All these little business ventures enabled Mom & Dad to send us to Catholic school, first St. Michaels, then my brother went to Central Catholic and in 65 because of Hemisfair 68' I transferred to St. Mary's.

The neighborhood was nice back then. All the neighbors knew each other and helped each other. Genuine people like Mrs Nass, Lawrence Epp, Mrs. Ebrom, Charles Carlisle the scoutmaster across the street, the Mitchells, the Mendozas...

I think my Mom may have some old photos of the old strip center, I can try to find them if you are interested.

Other memories of the Eastside are Chas' Grocery where they had chili dogs 10 for a dollar on Saturdays, Whopper Burger on Houston street, the ice house on Houston street, the little Mom & Pop store on Dawson & Pine.

Every day in the afternoon I remember the Tiner's ice cream truck would come by. The back of blue & white truck was a complete freezer with several little doors with chrome handles. The ice cream man would have to get out of his truck to sell you the ice cream.

Getting back to books, the name Buck's Books did come to mind, but I'd like to feature other goodies as well. I know the internet has made it very cheap to buy books, but there's nothing like looking over the merchandise before you buy.

In the barber shop Dad used to have the pocketbooks grouped; romance, mystery, crime, etc. One day he got tired of grouping them and the customers would always mess them up anyways. So Dad just started stacking the books all together. Guess what? The customers would have to go through all the books and they started buying more! I'd probably have the bookstore like that. Hey, what do you want for only a dollar!

I will definitley go to the Institute of Texan Cultures and see what they have.

One day I will do a Davy Crockett and say " You all can go to h...., I am going to San Antonio!" And I hope its soon! I have been away from my San Antonio much too long.

Last edited by Nix54; 03-09-2010 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: Corrections

Old 03-10-2010, 02:57 PM

237 posts, read 700,249 times
Default Eastside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
Bud, congratulations on your books and all on my favorite subject, San Antonio! I wish you the best on the Eastside book. I grew up there.
We need to discuss your history one to one whenever possible as I'm sure that you'll have much to add to my research of the Eastside. I grew up in Denver Heights then worked at Ella Austin Community Center on Pine in the early '70s so have some roots there myself. Thanks for sharing, Bud

Old 03-10-2010, 05:41 PM

262 posts, read 773,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
We need to discuss your history one to one whenever possible as I'm sure that you'll have much to add to my research of the Eastside. I grew up in Denver Heights then worked at Ella Austin Community Center on Pine in the early '70s so have some roots there myself. Thanks for sharing, Bud
Bud, I look forward to sharing with you memories of the Nolan/Pine neighborhood. I will seach for pictures of the neighborhood. I may also have some old Snap magazines from the 60's.

I look forward to it!

Rick

Old 03-11-2010, 06:48 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,176,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
San Antonio Sports Palace was located at the site of the former Spartan-Atlantic Discount Store. In fact, they just retrofitted the existing building, IIRC. Kiddie City was next door, just West of the Sports Palace/Spartan-Atlantic building -- they actually shared a common parking lot.

Good Memory! Can you elaborate on what that corner looked like (from the Time warner Building to McCullough). I just remember the Kiddie City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or