Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 12:18 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,856 times

Advertisements

I remember eating at the Crystal Baking Company when Hurricane Allen tore through here around '82. I can still remember how violent the storm was and we were worried we wouldn't get back home.....When you went outside, the wind literally tore your breath away, you could not breath. I was suffocating when I got back to the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 01:47 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Anyone still have their high school yearbook? Great memories of some fun places that advertised in the back of school annuals. One was a grand opening photo of HANDY ANDY! (yes....gradually accepting dinosaur status...)```````````````````````

Old 04-30-2010, 05:29 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Anyone still have their high school yearbook? Great memories of some fun places that advertised in the back of school annuals. One was a grand opening photo of HANDY ANDY! (yes....gradually accepting dinosaur status...)```````````````````````
There are some great ads from many businesses that no longer exist in my annuals. One business that advertised in my Robert E Lee annuals was the Three Bears Hamburger Dens. I consumed many "Papa Bear" hamburgers. They had GREAT milkshakes, too.

The phone numbers for the businesses have the old prefixes, too, like DIamond, PErshing, CApitol, etc. The ads are almost as good a memory as the students we went to school with!

Old 04-30-2010, 05:51 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post

There are some great ads from many businesses that no longer exist in my annuals. One business that advertised in my Robert E Lee annuals was the

Three Bears Hamburger Dens. I consumed many "Papa Bear" hamburgers. They had GREAT milkshakes, too.

if I remember correctly there was one on the east side of San Pedro
three or four blocks north of Basse.
(or was that Self's)

another was on the westside of McCullough couple
blocks south of North Star Mall.

I believe the burgers were fifteen cents. same as a pack of cigarettes.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:21 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,543,835 times
The Three Bears I remember--At least I think it was --it was at Sw military and Hw90. The building is still there..It was a CI CI 's Pizza for while.. It is a check place instant money rip off place now..

Old 04-30-2010, 07:43 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,543,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
It's funny that you mention it--but I don't have my Yearbook! My mom has it and she won't give it to me! She likes looking at it I guess! I'm not even in it--my hair was too long! She gave me my Diploma--who cares about that!!

Old 04-30-2010, 08:10 PM

The Three Bears Hamburger Den I frequented the most was on McCullough and Rector. When I doubled shifted as an usher at North Star Cinema, I would usually go there for supper.

I don't remember 15 cent hamburgers there. Maybe the Baby Bear was that cheap, but the Papa Bear was 59 cents in the late 60s.

Griff's featured 19 cent hamburgers for years!

Another place I LOVED to eat was Mr Dunderbak's Bavarian pantry. I have never had better corned beef sandwiches than theirs. It was located in North Star Mall near Frost Brothers.

Another place I liked to go to for lunch was the diner at Woolworth's at North Star Mall. Walgreens had one too, but they weren't as good, and were more expensive.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:28 PM

42 posts, read 214,153 times
I confess that I haven't read this entire thread, so maybe someone has already mentioned the Toddle House? Someone ought to open up a place like that again. A counter serving home-made pie and good coffee. Twenty-four hours a day!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:25 PM

I rememebr the Toddle House restaurants. I think they were here into the early 70s or so. I think they became Steak and Egg Kitchens.

When I was a kid, I couldn't wait for the ice cream man to come down my street. In my north side neighborhood it was always a dark blue and white 1949 or so Chevy truck with the name "Cravey" written on the side. They sold Popsicles, Fudgesicles, and Dreamsicles, and Dixie Doodles (similar to Eskimo Pie) for 6 cents. Ice cream sandwiches, Nutty Buddies, and others cost 11 cents!

When I was at my grandmother's house on the south side, an identical truck, except it was painted green and white sold the same things for the same price, but "Daniels" was painted on the side.

The music box was powered by a manual generator, and the crank for the generator was next to the driver's seat.

The first time I ever saw an artificial arm was on a Cravey ice cream man. IO didn't notice it until he handed me my posicle with his hook. I was speechless!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:52 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
We had Cravy's blue & white early 50's Chevy trucks on the south side also. In the 50's and early 60's. Daniel's came along in early 60's. Glad you recalled that name. I'd been thinking it was Tiner's. We may have had Tiner's in later years. I seem to recall the Cravy Trucks operating out of a Bldg at Colorado and Culebra. Not sure why I think this except may have seen Cravy and other trucks there in later years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio