Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 12:07 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,707,043 times

Advertisements

The Bellinger I was referring to was white. And you're right, all of the small business owners that did fix and sell things are long gone. Thanks to our disposal society and Wal Mart, Lowe's, Target, Home Depot, etc. But that's another thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 02:03 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,799,623 times
Hey gang, here are the 1940 ads in the Jeff annual. The images are too large to post here. Go to the link to see all the ads.

The link to the slide show of 24 pages of ads:

1940 Jeff Ads :: 5-3-201011715PM.jpg picture by jh1882 - Photobucket

Question: how do you create thumbnails for cd? dm me please.

Last edited by gy2020; 05-03-2010 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: image too large

Old 05-03-2010, 02:41 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,265,835 times
Wow, GY2020, that was really cool.
Some comments:
-I noticed the Tip Top Cafe was called the Tip Top Sandwich shop in their add
-They listed Night Hawk restaurant on 2030 Main. This must be the same one that was later located on San Pedro. I did a detailed write-up on the Night Hawk in the original GBNFSA thread, but I don't recall them mentioning multiple locations in SA. I'll have to find my old post.
-In the JC Penny add, it says "A good place to trade" Were they still bartering back then? Or do they simply mean trade your cash for goods?

Old 05-03-2010, 02:56 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,124,086 times
Thanks for sharing, gy2020...I forget that Jefferson HS was pretty much THE high school in SA for years...at least in the SAISD.

And GWhopper...I saw that JC Penney ad and thought maybe it was an old phrase for trading your cash for goods. I also thought of the term "Retail Trade".....

Old 05-03-2010, 04:18 PM

Notice the ad on the Pigstand with all of its locations. The S. Presa location was just a few blocks from Brackenridge High School. It was built around 1926 and for years billed itself as the first drive-in restaurant in the US. I actually think the billing goes to the Pigstand in Dallas, which was owned by same people and predates the Pigstand in San Antonio. I read that many years ago and can't remember the source anymore.
I think I read it on the internet back in the late 90's.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:28 PM

237 posts, read 847,268 times
Default food for thot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
The Bellinger I was referring to was white.
My mistake as I thot you meant the Bellinger who published the long running San Antonio Register black newspaper. The SA daily papers printed news about the black Eastside community only when it was about murder and mayhem while all the good news or positive happenings, weddings, club news, neighborhood or political progress, etc. were totally ignored. So Charles Bellinger began the Inquirer in 1932 to give his community its own newspaper. UTSA keeps it on microfilm also available at the SAPL downtown and it is full of great history plus the murder and mayhem.
Anyhow, your confirmation of the passing of the small independently operated repair, or fix-it shops is correctly attributed to the megacorp/globalization engine that now drives our economy for better or worse. Bakeries were also sited across the cityscape and also seem to have disappeared tho at least replaced with good panaderias here and there thank goodness. But I would give my right arm for a dozen of Mrs. Johnson's Bakery orange glazed cupcakes. She began on S. New Braunfels at Drexel St. then moved to Steves and New Braunfels and lasted into the mid 1990s.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:40 PM

BudB: Do you remember Benfer's Grocery Store on the corner of Chicago and Hackberry? It was a tiny little store that was lost when Hackberry was widened in the 1950's. I use to go in there and get penny candy. Who ever heard of such a thing? And you talk about PC. Over on Schley Ave. the landlady use to get me to run down to a corner store on S. Presa and buy cigarettes for her. And I never opened a pack! I didn't take up the nasty habit until about 7 or 8 years later.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:27 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,527,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I knew Father/Monsignor Holden well. He was tough! I went to St Gregory's School, and he would come in every six weeks to give out report cards. I made my first D in fourth grade geography, and he seemed to enjoy spreading the news.

When he was made Monsignor, there was a big celebration, and he told everyone they needed to be there. I didn't go, choosing to go fishing instead. He caught me at school the next Monday, and asked why I wasn't there!

He would get worked up while speaking at mass, and his ears would get beet red. He scared me when I was a four year old.

Somewhere, I have my first Communion group picture with my classmates, and Father Holden sitting in the middle of the bleachers with us.
Oh I got an "F"in math Father Holden told me that and let me tell you my dad really leaned into me.. It took me years to understand numbers..I get it now (learned it on my own!) Do you remember Father Breslen??

Old 05-03-2010, 07:34 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,707,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
M. But I would give my right arm for a dozen of Mrs. Johnson's Bakery orange glazed cupcakes. She began on S. New Braunfels at Drexel St. then moved to Steves and New Braunfels and lasted into the mid 1990s.
Her son took it over after she retired. He ran it for several years before closing and selling the property. In addition to those tasty orange glazed cupcakes were the donuts, pies and especially the rolls. I'd buy a bag of her rolls, cross Steves Ave to Carl's Meat Market for a pound of ham salad, and devour them.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:52 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,527,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Like old man Mungia's print shop?
I am probably not the best source for this but I will tell what I know. Around 1975 I got a job working for the Monarch Paper Company. There were some other companies around..National and the guy that made envelopes..God it is on the tip of my tongue..This stuff was around town. I would deliver paper to all of these print shops. There was mungia..there was Artis Graficis..American Printers ..KWIK KOPY ..Copy Shop...A bunch more.. I can't remember..We would also stop and get Taco's at all the Taco places..there were a bunch of them..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio