Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 02:58 PM

42 posts, read 215,249 times

Advertisements

BudB -- I had a clarinet-playing friend who just loved Mr. Meads. How totally cool that a student showed up in uniform and played for his funeral. He would have loved that!

I couldn't get your photo to open up completely, but I saw enough to remind me how much I prefer to watch parade bands in full uniform. Lee copped out in the Battle of Flowers parade this year (as did most of the bands), wearing black (!?!?!) pants and red shirts. Hats of to the schools who did it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 03:10 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlibrarian View Post
I bemoan the disappearance of the small "fix-it" and individual service shops. Everything has turned into chain malls & Wal-Mart...

Anyone remember a print ship called Lone Star Printing Co. on Commerce, just east of Joske's? It was also next door to Staffel's...
I forgot all about Staffels. Do you remember their calanders? If I remember right every month had a giant drawing of an insect pest like a roach or a flea and a description of some product they sold to eliminate them. I wonder when Staffels went out of business?

Old 05-06-2010, 03:18 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
I'd forgotten Staffels also. They didn't morph into Greenlight did they??

Old 05-07-2010, 01:22 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I'd forgotten Staffels also. They didn't morph into Greenlight did they??
I think you are right. This link shows that a company called Green Light operating from San Antonio was selling a product called Staffel's Bug and Snail bait from 1972 through 2006.

PAN Product Info for Staffel bug and snail bait

Old 05-07-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I think you are right. This link shows that a company called Green Light operating from San Antonio was selling a product called Staffel's Bug and Snail bait from 1972 through 2006.

PAN Product Info for Staffel bug and snail bait
Thanks GW! Yeah, I put the two together in my mind. Green Light was out Wetmore next to the airport. Haven't been on Wetmore in years. Not sure if they're still there. Yes, the old "Snailbait" is what I recall.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:44 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Thanks GW! Yeah, I put the two together in my mind. Green Light was out Wetmore next to the airport. Haven't been on Wetmore in years. Not sure if they're still there. Yes, the old "Snailbait" is what I recall.
I don't think they are here anymore. I finally found their website and it says they were aquired by Valent U.S.A. Corporation, a subsidiary of Sumitomo Chemical Company, Limited. Can't vi

About Green Light home garden and lawn care products

Old 05-07-2010, 03:21 PM

237 posts, read 851,315 times
Default seeds and such

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Been using Greenlight pill bug bait for years under both labels but never realized that they were SA companies. This reminded me of another longtime SA gardening firm, Lone Star Seed Company. They've been selling seeds to gardeners since at least the mid 1960s and probably longer. No website but they're listed as still being in the funky old, two-story building I visited once many years ago at 119 W Lachapelle out between Nogalitos and S. Flores. Back in the day, some hippies, certainly not me, made tea from their morning glory seeds then drank it for a colorful buzz or so I'm told. Mostly I just used their fine seeds for growing green beans, cantaloupes, spinach, carrots, squash, and so on while leaving their psychedelic varieties to others.
On a separate note, here's a pair of snap shots taken last month on S. Gevers near Highland Blvd. of the old Neighborhood Ice House. It has yet another paint scheme now, appears to be in some sort of zoning issue with the city and was not open at mid morning. I'd like to think the old store is still serving the area but does anyone know for sure? I love those neat cast-concrete Lone Star Ice logos atop the roof with red tile trim and wonder how many of these drive-thru stores survive? The curled iron, side-supports holding up the driveway cover was also part of their classic architectural formula.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-4581650842_bc80d88673_m.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-4581676712_31ddb12f96_m.jpg  

Old 05-07-2010, 03:52 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times
Question for anyone who may know, at mccrelles (sorry for the spelling) there was a store between pennys and woolworth and I think they sold mowers etc. Anyone know the name? Was it a western auto maybe?

Old 05-07-2010, 04:12 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Been using Greenlight pill bug bait for years under both labels but never realized that they were SA companies. This reminded me of another longtime SA gardening firm, Lone Star Seed Company. They've been selling seeds to gardeners since at least the mid 1960s and probably longer. No website but they're listed as still being in the funky old, two-story building I visited once many years ago at 119 W Lachapelle out between Nogalitos and S. Flores. Back in the day, some hippies, certainly not me, made tea from their morning glory seeds then drank it for a colorful buzz or so I'm told. Mostly I just used their fine seeds for growing green beans, cantaloupes, spinach, carrots, squash, and so on while leaving their psychedelic varieties to others.
On a separate note, here's a pair of snap shots taken last month on S. Gevers near Highland Blvd. of the old Neighborhood Ice House. It has yet another paint scheme now, appears to be in some sort of zoning issue with the city and was not open at mid morning. I'd like to think the old store is still serving the area but does anyone know for sure? I love those neat cast-concrete Lone Star Ice logos atop the roof with red tile trim and wonder how many of these drive-thru stores survive? The curled iron, side-supports holding up the driveway cover was also part of their classic architectural formula.
I used to see Lone Star Seeds at the Wolff Nurseries which are now gone but not forgotten. Growing up it was all my mom ever bought and my Grandmother could get boxes of expired seeds most of which were still good. My Grandfather ( my mom's pop) worked at Staffel's Mill when I was very young. I would go with my dad to shoot rats. I can't remember where the grain mill was but I think it was down near the railroad yards ( makes sense when you think about it).

Old 05-07-2010, 05:16 PM

The old Volker (sp) Metal Works Bldg. on W.Glenn off S.Flores was 2 or 3 story. The remains of Lone Star Seeds sign painted on sides is or was still visible. The Iron Works was there from late 60's on up. Now it's some sort of apartments. I'm trying to recall where it was on Lachapelle....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio