U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-02-2010, 04:28 PM

2,630 posts, read 2,418,869 times
The mall also had a "sidewalk" sale every Sunday. Except, it was more like a flea market with outsiders coming in and selling their used stuff. Bought a lot of stamps from an old man out there. I think many if these people actually started the antique flea market-like shop in the old furniture store across the parking lot from the mall.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 05:35 PM

1,605 posts, read 2,221,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Does anyone remember the dime store in Colonies North mall? It was Winn's, I believe. That's when you could actually walk inside the small mall and end up in handy Andy on the other end.
Yes, I remember the Winn's store at Colonies North. It was at the Wurzbach end of the mall. It was there until about 1993. I also remember Whole Foods debuted in San Antonio at the former Colonies North Handy Andy location. They later moved to the Quarry Marketplace.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:41 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,033,164 times
Wow, that's cool that somebody else remembers it. I remember getting Icee's there at the Winn's. I think there was a pet store store that sold lots of tropical fish in there, too... maybe. That Handy Andy gave me my first legit job after I stopped working at Bluebonnet Ranch at Huebner and Fredericksburg Rd. behind the cemetary. Now there's an apartment complex or something back there.

Last edited by HillCountryHotRodMan; 06-02-2010 at 06:05 PM..

Old 06-02-2010, 06:00 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,186,828 times
Default Yep, I remember the Colonies North Mall,

In fact I worked at the self-serve shoe store in the mall part-time when I was a kid, stocking the racks. I believe it was called shoe town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Does anyone remember the dime store in Colonies North mall? It was Winn's, I believe. That's when you could actually walk inside the small mall and end up in handy Andy on the other end.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,204,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
In fact I worked at the self-serve shoe store in the mall part-time when I was a kid, stocking the racks. I believe it was called shoe town.
Back in 1971, I was assistant manager of the Cinematex (later Colonies North) Theatre at Colonies North Mall. The theatre did TERRIBLE business from the day it opened. When the Academy Award nominations came out, Santikos knew "Patton" was going to run away with most of the awards, and booked it into virtually all his theatres. We ended up with "Airport". Fortunately, we were the ONLY theatre running "Airport". We had our first sell out of that 504 seat theatre. We were feeling good, when a small fire broke out in the shoe store next door. We had to evacuate the theatre, and refund the ticket money! The Cinematex lasted only a few months after that. We closed, but Santikos took over the theatre in the summer of 1972, changing the name to the Colonies North.

The theatre NEVER did the business it should have. Santikos' deep pockets kept it alive longer than the patronage could have. It was one of my favorite theatres to see a show. It had a stage, the screen was curtained, and everything but the projection room was outfitted with the best equipment. It was the last single screen theatre built in San Antonio.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:56 AM

10,366 posts, read 8,555,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Back in 1971, I was assistant manager of the Cinematex (later Colonies North) Theatre at Colonies North Mall. The theatre did TERRIBLE business from the day it opened. When the Academy Award nominations came out, Santikos knew "Patton" was going to run away with most of the awards, and booked it into virtually all his theatres. We ended up with "Airport". Fortunately, we were the ONLY theatre running "Airport". We had our first sell out of that 504 seat theatre. We were feeling good, when a small fire broke out in the shoe store next door. We had to evacuate the theatre, and refund the ticket money! The Cinematex lasted only a few months after that. We closed, but Santikos took over the theatre in the summer of 1972, changing the name to the Colonies North.

The theatre NEVER did the business it should have. Santikos' deep pockets kept it alive longer than the patronage could have. It was one of my favorite theatres to see a show. It had a stage, the screen was curtained, and everything but the projection room was outfitted with the best equipment. It was the last single screen theatre built in San Antonio.
where was/is "colonies north" mall?

Old 06-03-2010, 12:15 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,033,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
where was/is "colonies north" mall?
It's off of Wurzbach Rd near I-10. There's a Big Lots in it now and a chinese buffet. It is across the street from what used to be an Albertsons grocery.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:34 PM
RGJ

1,898 posts, read 2,410,572 times
I went to that mall a bunch in the early-mid seventies. I always got a strange feeling when I was inside. Can't explain it.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:00 PM

2,243 posts, read 3,355,985 times
I remember the colonies when u could walk in the mall, it was the late 80's and winns and handy andy were still there.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:37 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,204,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I remember the colonies when u could walk in the mall, it was the late 80's and winns and handy andy were still there.

There was also Sommers Drug Store, a barber shop, a Christian Science reading room,and other businesses that came and went.

Today the mall also sports an Office Depot, and an Auto Zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio