Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 01:06 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,012,205 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info. I had forgotten the specifics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 01:49 PM

1,691 posts, read 4,092,199 times
I have always been an ultra conservative, and can't remember a Democrat I have ever even considered voting for. During the Carter administration I was particularly miserable, and to make matters worse, the congressional district lines were redrawn, and Henry B Gonzalez became MY congressman. I wasn't happy.

I was working at a local theatre, and the employees were well aware of my political leanings. I came down from upstairs to use the restroom, and while in there, Henry B, and an entourage of his came in to see the movie. The usher who tore his ticket told him that one of his constituents would be coming out shortly and would LOVE to meet him. Henry B waited for me, came over with an outstretched hand, called me by name, and introduced himself! The usher was laughing hysterically by that time, and I was completely speechless for a moment or two. I exchanged pleasantries with the congressman, and showed him to his movie. I didn't care much for Henry B, nor did I ever vote for him (or his son), but I wouldn't have ever said what I thought of him out loud in a public place. I was impressed that Mr Gonzalez took the time to wait for me to shake my hand.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:47 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,707,043 times
In spite of being a Democrat and somewhat eccentric, he was a pretty good congressman for Bexar County...

Old 07-07-2010, 09:39 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,677,745 times
Default Chrisities on Broadway

I think there has been some unconfirmed discussion on Christies on Broadway in the past. This article confirms it was part of a chain out of Houston, but was later sold (several times)...so some of the food is from the original and some things were brought on later on with the new owners.

Recipe Find: Christie

Old 07-07-2010, 07:32 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,360,098 times
Default It sounds as if you've been around a while ?

San Antone has been a boomtown for a long while. It was slow taking off
hell the pop. was only 400,000 when I was a kid. Amazing , the growth rate since the seventies. It truly was- the proverbial overgrown one-horse town, backwards, if you can remember it. Mostly military bases and little else.
Never, I used to think, would the day would come when S.A. would overtake Dallas. The Dallas skyline used to quite impressive compared to S.A., you could just tell there was power there,now, there is not that much difference, not any more.
This is very odd - what a little time has done. Whod've even thunk it, years ago ? The odds seemed very long, impossible, at that time for it to happen.
Everything works in favor of this place, who knows where it will head ?
Nothing would amaze me today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Thanks for the info. I had forgotten the specifics.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:57 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,012,205 times
I've been here since '79 (minus time overseas in the military). Huebner road was considered rural back then. If you went to Marshall High school, you were considered a "kicker" (I didn't attend Marshall but dated a girl who did). The very first Martha's mexican restaurant was in a shack off of Huebner road and they were always busy because their food was most excellent.

I'm really quite disturbed by what San Antonio has become. People who love it now would have been ecstatic back then.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:07 AM

237 posts, read 847,268 times
Default Henry B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Henry B was leaving Earl Abel's .... Gonzales confronted the man, and asked if he referred to him (Gonzales) as a communist. The man said yes, he did. Gonzales then punched the man.
Glad you detailed that incident because Henry B Gonzales was a true American patriot and great Texan. His only regret in Congress was voting for the Tonkin Gulf Resolution in 1964 that let LBJ wage war on N. Vietnam without a formal declaration of war as demanded by the Constitution. Once Henry B and many others realized that the Tonkin Incident was faked by the Pentagon boys he worked for years to end the American involvement there. That earned him a lot of hard feelings and enemies from the pro war people like the guy who called him a commie at Earl A's. We could sure use a lot of more like him right now but he was one in a million.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:41 AM

Default Denver Heights/Highland Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Campbell View Post
You have really brought back old memories. We used to get our papers on New Braunfels and Drexel in front of Seibert's Drug Store.
Mr. Cambell many thanx for adding your memories of Denver Heights/Highland Park to the group as it's good to know there are other old East-siders still out there. But is it possible that you got your papers by Donnegan's Drug Store at Drexel & New Braunfels? Donnegans was on the south end of the small strip and Mrs. Johnson's on the north end. The Winns store you mentioned was actually in between Seibert's Rx and Piggly Wiggly in the other strip just north of the Katy trax between Westfall and Essex.
Also, can you recall the names of any of your Highland Park Elementary teachers? One teacher in particular was Amy Nims, do you remember her at HP when you went there? I went to HP in Sept. 1952 then left in Jan. 1958 for Poe so we are a few years apart. I'll bet you also might remember the old Highland Theater down on Hackberry at Rigsby and the Boy's Club around the corner down on Drexel. Thanks again for adding your comments to the GBNF forum.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:59 AM

Default Bremer's Sinclair

Quote:
The Sinclair station on that corner was Bremers (sp).
That's right sir and Sonny Bremer ran it for years up into the early 1960s even after the big fire that took out the ice house next door. That site is now the location of Nestor's Garage which really added some color to the old intersection. Double click the foto below then look closely and you can see on the right end the original structure that was for many years Bremer's Sinclair. Nestor put on a metal addition with extra bays but the old gas station is still there under the bright yellow paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-nestors-garage.jpg  

Old 07-08-2010, 12:03 PM

Default Steubing's Grocery on Porter

Quote:
For several years I worked at Steubing's Grocery on Porter.
Where exactly on Porter was Steubing's market?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio