U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 09:37 AM

237 posts, read 700,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickZ View Post
Here is a post card of The Original Mexican Restaurant, available on eBay. The listing says the post card is from 1942.
The Original must have had a long run. Though I cannot say when it opened or closed, my memory of eating there once in the early 1950s is clear. And while reading a recent biography of General/President "Ike" Eisenhower just last night, i learned that he and his newlywed wife Mamie ate there regularly in 1916/'17 while he was posted to Fort Sam as a young army Lieutenant.
Meanwhile, in the old advertisement department, here's an ad page from the May 1930 edition of the Poe Jr-Hi Raven newspaper. A couple places will mean a lot to a couple current readers who recall two of the pharmacies listed. Prassel's Drug Store on Nolan at N. pine and Liberty Drug Store at 1501 S. Gevers at Denver both operated for many years within the Eastside. Liberty eventually became Seibert's Drugs years before Mr. S moved a couple blocks west to N. New Braunfels at Denver. The Prassel family operated their pharmacy into the early 1970s since it was still open when I went to work at the Ella Austin Community Center in 1972. Those places filled prescriptions, offered film processing services and fed their neighbors good hamburgers & fries with milk-shakes, coffee or "suicide cokes" from lunch counters many of us still remember fondly. Btw, it seems that Brunneman's Drugs operated from 850 Drexel Ave., the same site that later became Yee's Market across from Baptist Temple.
Also of interest is the wide area from which the Raven ads were solicited. From Fitzpatrick York Furniture on McCullough to The Fair on Alamo Plaza. Then out to Highland Park for Mrs. Moody aka Beauty Expert, 900 Kayton at Gevers.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-poe-raven-ads-may-1930.jpg  

Last edited by BudB; 07-22-2010 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: fix goofs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:38 AM

18 posts, read 47,497 times
A lot of young folks think that all of those current Coke combos are something new. We could get chocolate Cokes, cherry Cokes, vanilla Cokes or any combination we wanted from the soda fountains of the drug stores mentioned. Those drug store soda fountains were a good place to eat. In my neighborhood in Highland Park during the 1940s, they were about the only place to eat.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:47 PM

39 posts, read 184,384 times
Hey...I've been feeling nostalgic and would love to go back to Little Hipps (R.I.P.). How close to Hipps is Timbo's, in terms of menu? I heard that it has the same grill and booths of the original. I hope it i still open...I just literally heard about Timbo's last week.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:58 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,335,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Campbell View Post
Growing up in Highland Park, I don't really remember very many places to eat out. With my school days being in the 1940s, eating out was a rarity. Most folks I knew ate at home. There were restaurants out Broadway, and in other parts of town (like Cristie's, Earl Abel's and Night Hawk), but when we wanted to really celebrate something special, we went to the Wolf's Inn way out Fredericksburg Road. Does anyone know about the Wolf's Inn?
Search the original thread. I put the whole history there...on Wolff's Inn I mean.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:37 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,499,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
This thread is for those who have lived in SA for some time now or maybe just have memories of places that no longer exist. It might be interesting to some of the newer folks who have no idea what used to be here, whether it was a beloved place or just something different that you can't find anymore.

Anyone else have any old memores? I'll add some more later!
Ha.....I used to work at South Park Theatre back in da day. 'Tis no longer there now.....

I used to skateboard at WestLakes Mall with a bunch of other skaterats back in da day.....'Tis no longer there now either.....

For a while I used to drive concrete trucks out of Alamo Concrete Plant 6 at Zarzamora and 35-South.....'Tis no longer there now.....

I used to work at Toys-R-Us at Ingram in the Nineties. 'Tis no longer there now.....

There used to be a Jim's Burgers at Club and Fredericksburg that my parents, siblings, and I used to eat burgers at when we were kids {I no longer eat beef anymore anyway}. 'Tis no longer there now.....

Same thing with a Murf's Better Burger at the Five Points Intersection. 'Tis no longer there now.....

Over the years I have been dancing at so many nightclubs here in town that are simply too numerous to list down.....but they are no longer there anymore; structurally or otherwise.....

I also do recall the Ingram Mall Movie Theatres.....gone now.......

Old 07-24-2010, 08:05 AM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,070,386 times
What about all the Mom and Pop Video Rental Stores? All gone!

Old 07-24-2010, 08:33 AM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,014,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
What about all the Mom and Pop Video Rental Stores? All gone!
And soon, if not already, all the Blockbusters, Hollywood Video, etc.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:27 PM

2,355 posts, read 5,404,814 times
Also a lost art is mom and pop grocery stores, my grandparents owned one on the west side for almost 50 years now they are far and few.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:35 PM

136 posts, read 265,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Campbell View Post
Growing up in Highland Park, I don't really remember very many places to eat out. With my school days being in the 1940s, eating out was a rarity. Most folks I knew ate at home. There were restaurants out Broadway, and in other parts of town (like Cristie's, Earl Abel's and Night Hawk),
I'd agree with that, and add Tai Shan, Chicken Shack and Youngblood's to the list. We'd also stop off at the Toddle House to get pie for dessert.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:10 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,014,413 times
There was the Highlander Cafeteria, later in life known as Teen Town, in the "Little" McCreless Village (pre-McCreless Mall) that we used to go eat at after church on Sundays
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or