U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-04-2010, 08:34 AM

237 posts, read 431,315 times
Default Hertzberg & old library elephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickZ View Post
The Hertzberg collection is now at the Witte Museum, and the elephant that was out front on Market Street has been moved as well:

http://0.tqn.com/d/sanantonio/1/0/E/...eumgallery.jpg
Thanx for news of the Hertzberg & old library elephant now at the Witte. Tho I don't care for the gaudy paint job on the pachyderm, it's good to know it survives and I hope modern kids are not disinclined to mount the old beast because of the coloration. Meanwhile, the Witte's website leaves a lot to be desired since it took several tries to confirm the Hertzberg's presence there and i never did see images of it. Switching to Witte art, we find thumbnails the size of small postage stamps, again kinda frustrating. So much for today's rant and thanx to all for the recent input here following a slump toward the middle of last month
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 12:49 PM

64 posts, read 183,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Thanx for news of the Hertzberg & old library elephant now at the Witte. Tho I don't care for the gaudy paint job on the pachyderm, it's good to know it survives and I hope modern kids are not disinclined to mount the old beast because of the coloration. . . .
I agree that the elephant is painted up in rather gaudy colors. But speaking of the elephant, wasn't there a lion in front of the old library on Market Street when it was still a library? It sure seems to me there was, but the only picture I can find is an old post card that has a car right in front of where the lion would have been sitting, and where the elephant eventually sat when the Hertzberg collection moved in.

Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-library-market-street.jpg

Last edited by DickZ; 09-04-2010 at 01:04 PM..

Old 09-04-2010, 05:48 PM
RGJ

1,898 posts, read 2,415,303 times
I think I remember two lions or maybe elephants, one on each side of the entrance walk. might be wrong on that

Old 09-04-2010, 06:24 PM

15,916 posts, read 4,426,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
It wasn't the electrical repair shop, that was Mr. Estes. He had a cute dog named Snoopy that used to go to work with him. My mom had the shop next to his. I think the lady on the other side of my mom was named Mary and the lady on the corner was Norma Jean. Then there were two or three other small shops, maybe Lister was in one of them.

The fire devastated the businesses there. I think they ended up condemning the building and most of the stuff in the stores were a total loss, not so much from the fire, but from the water and smoke damage. The fire supposedly started upstairs between my mom's shop and I think Mary's. I have some photos somewhere my dad took of the mess. It was really sad.
Hey Catriona; I remember those shops. I used to go by there looking for collectables at least once @ month in late 70's - 80's, until it burned down. I remember the shop on the corner, it always had a bunch of kids playing around. Which shop was your Mom's, did she sell antique/collectables? If so, I'm sure I got some nifty things. from her back then. I was so sad to hear about it burning down.
Does anyone remember when they had had a few antique/collectable shops next to Golden Stallion on Ackerman Rd? (I believe???) I remember getting some of those old short Pearl Beer glasses & other Pearl Beer items. My dam kids either broke or stole them since then.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:32 PM

3,115 posts, read 5,846,331 times
Hey you guys and gals, I need your help. Yesterday I was driving south on West Ave and crossed Jackson Keller where the big HEB is located. Back in the 70's, the area behind the HEB on Jackson Keller was the location of a night club. At the time, it was the most popular club in town. If I remember right, there was a black guitarist who came over from the East side club. The guy could play the guitar behind his black. Do you rmember the name of this club and what was the name of the guitarist?"

Old 09-06-2010, 03:37 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,227,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Hey you guys and gals, I need your help. Yesterday I was driving south on West Ave and crossed Jackson Keller where the big HEB is located. Back in the 70's, the area behind the HEB on Jackson Keller was the location of a night club. At the time, it was the most popular club in town. If I remember right, there was a black guitarist who came over from the East side club. The guy could play the guitar behind his black. Do you rmember the name of this club and what was the name of the guitarist?"
Don't know who the guitarist would have been, but there was a place there called the Castle Hills Inn during the 50s, 60s and early 70s, and there was Frenchie's Barbeque Steak House in the 80s. I don't know if there was anything else between the time it was the Castle Hills club and Frenchie's.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:23 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,209,000 times
[quote=gy2020;15778635]Hey you guys and gals, I need your help. Yesterday I was driving south on West Ave and crossed Jackson Keller where the big HEB is located. Back in the 70's, the area behind the HEB on Jackson Keller was the location of a night club. At the time, it was the most popular club in town. If I remember right, there was a black guitarist who came over from the East side club. The guy could play the guitar behind his black. Do you rmember the name of this club and what was the name of the guitarist?"[/quote

I just remember the Castle Hills Club there.

The HEB property was once the home of Ed Finck). Across Jackson Keller was a Star Gas station (later torn down, and a Sunglo Fina was built). Across West Ave from Star Gas was Allen's Garage. Across Jackson Keller from Allen's was a Sinclair station.

I had my first traffic accident at Jackson Keller and West Ave.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:50 PM

2,246 posts, read 3,361,805 times
I remember where the dunkin doughnuts used to be in that shopping strip was a place called "San Antonio Collectibles", i think that was the first baseball card shop in SA.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:00 AM

3,115 posts, read 5,846,331 times
I received this post by email: Gary, I saw your post on GBNF.
There was a black guitarist that played at the Eastwood Country Club named Gatemouth Brown in the early 60's at the same time "Miss Wiggles" did her striptease with the chair. He played the guitar behind his back and had the place rocking.
If memory serves me, I think he also sang and could give James Brown a run for his money. Maybe one patterned his act after the other.
White people flocked to the club to see the acts. My mom and dad, very conservative, made the scene. My mom is 98 and still remembers Miss Wiggles and Gatemouth Brown.

Hope this helps.
JP

I responded to JP with the fact that I remembered the name of the Eastwood after I made the post. I had been to Eastwood at least twice. I am sure that Gateway Brown was the guitarist in the club on Jackson Keller. The Jackson Keller club was always full. I still don't know the name of this club and I'm not sure that it was the Castle Hills club. It doesn't sound right. This might have been around 1965. I was living in SA at this time.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:41 AM

696 posts, read 898,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post

I'm not sure that it was the Castle Hills club.
It doesn't sound right.
This might have been around 1965.
........Castle Town Lounge

mud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio