U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-21-2010, 07:53 PM

91 posts, read 178,643 times
Default North Star's 50th

I sent an e-mail off to the PR folks at North Star requesting they place some of their collection of old photos of the mall at their Facebook page. I mentioned that there likely were folks like me who grew up at the mall but had since moved away from SA and couldn't make it down there for the 50th b-day party.

I received a really nice reply from someone at the mall and they thought adding the photos to the Facebook page was an excellent idea. The photos should be up by the end of the week. Not sure what to expect but hopefully it will be pure gold.

I did find a blog from someone who went to see HR Pufnstuf and Captain Gus at North Star around 1971. There are some black and white photos but you can clearly see Guarantee Shoes in the background. This would have been in the court at the east end of the original part of the mall near Rhodes at that time.

Link:

Boomer Bust: Pufnstuf at North Star Mall

Macgrad89
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 10:46 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,331,267 times
The world premiere of "Pufnstuf" was held at North Star Cinema. Martha Raye, Mama Cass Elliott, and Billie Hayes made an appearance there. I was head usher at the time, and sat them in Cinema I after the lights went down, and the Universal logo hit the screen. Martha Raye was VERY nice. Mama Cass was not!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:43 PM

91 posts, read 178,643 times
The Express-News has created a slideshow of North Star Mall photos thru the years. Well worth a look if you have a minute or two to reminisce...

Slideshows (http://www.mysanantonio.com/slideshows/North_Star_Mall_at_50.html?c=n#1 - broken link)

Old 09-22-2010, 12:40 AM

98,676 posts, read 25,287,250 times
Haven't heard mention of Malibu Grand Prix reopening! Thought they were completely shut down. Attending a B'day this week there.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:28 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,227,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Haven't heard mention of Malibu Grand Prix reopening! Thought they were completely shut down. Attending a B'day this week there.
Really? I wasn't aware. Is it in the same location?

Old 09-22-2010, 04:33 PM

98,676 posts, read 25,287,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Really? I wasn't aware. Is it in the same location?
Appears to be!

Malibu Grand Prix!

Old 09-22-2010, 04:35 PM
RGJ

1,898 posts, read 2,559,959 times
I thought they were closed also, but here it is
Malibu Grand Prix San Antonio - Home

Old 09-22-2010, 04:49 PM

I try to stay away from that cluster on I-10 at 410.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:33 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
855 posts, read 1,262,449 times
I have been cleaning house and I ran into some things that made me think "Gone but not Forgotten". Remember Library Books? The ones with the thick covers with some kind of cloth and coated with Varnish or something. Industructable. Remember the wonderful smell of those books and the off-white pages (maybe from being read over and over?) and the little pocket inside the cover with the card the Librarian would stamp? Remember when you got your Library card and could put it in your "Hopalong Cassidy" wallet with your fake confederate money. Does anybody remember fake Confederate Money? Does anybody go to the library and check out books anymore? I remember I always wanted make sure I did everything right so I wouldn't lose the privlege.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:59 PM

I remember the summer reading program at the library. You checked out books and after you read them your parent signed off on the list. There were little rewards like stickers and stuff for reading the books. It was really cool. We went once a week and got our fill of books.

I still prefer regular books over electronic format. There's something about holding them in your hand and turning actual pages.

I have a library card still, but have not been since last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio