U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 03:19 PM

8,578 posts, read 6,114,793 times

Advertisements

I've been away from this thread for quite a while. I've tried to catch up before posting. This is such a great thread - it has brought back so many, many memories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Back when I was a kid in the late 1950s through 60s, I made many a trip to the Lone Star ice house on West Ave. near where West Ave. Elementary is now to buy candy, sodas, etc. That store is now called Sunnys. The proprietor there was a man named Joe Black. He was a no nonsense kind of guy. If one brought in empty soda bottles for a refund from a bottler that he didn't sell, he would sternly tell him to take a hike. I asked him if he would take in any bottle, and I would reimburse him for the odd ones that came in. He did, and i got quite a collection of bottles from different parts of the country, and some that were downright old. I sold one of them on Ebay recently for $25. Not bad for a two cent investment!

That store also sold Patio tamales for 25 cents a half dozen! They were kept hot in an electric broiler. Many is the time my lunch consisted of six tamales bought at Lone Star. Inflation has definitely hit the tamale market since then!
I used to walk to Lone Star Ice House all the time. It wasn't that far from where we lived off of West Avenue close to Basse Rd. Gosh, I remember those tamales. Made my mouth water just thinking about them. If, and that's a BIG 'if', any tamales can be found up here, they're awful! Nothing like what we had in San Antonio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I am sad to report another entry into the annals of GBNF in SA.

Luby's North Star Mall will close tomorrow. One of the original tenants of NSM. Lets us bow our heads and remember all the meals we ate there with our families. Luby's was always solid, before the orignal food court and even now after the remodeled second food court.

Luby's at North Star Mall to close its doors forever - San Antonio Express-News
I was sad to read this. Like so many of you, I have good memories of this Luby's. My family would go with my grandfather every Sunday after church. That was so long ago that I don't remember if the food was anything special or not. But we kept on going back....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post

.. here's some really good photos...............
... Downtown differences - San Antonio Express-News
Those were great photos. That's a terrific find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Saw a picadilly's in Virginia a few years ago, it was as good as it was here many years ago. I remember a Pancho's at Northwest Center.
We have a Piccadilly's right down the road from us in Norfolk, VA which is right across the city line from where we live. Wonder if that's the same chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
How about Bruce's Fried Pies? They were delicious. They did not have the icing the national brands put on their pies. I especially liked the cherry, lemon, and chocolate flavors. When I moved to El Paso in 1984, they were sold just about everywhere in south Texas, but when I came back ten years later, they were gone.
They were so good! Used to eat those all the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
not me - their lemon pies!!!!!!!!
Lemon was my favorite too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Hey does anyone remember the old Night Hawk restaurant by North Star.... had an animated neon sign of a hawk flying?
My mother used to take us there on special occasions. I liked it back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Heck yeah! When I was a teen I proudly donned my brown corduroy pants, white dress shirt and red tie! Good times.
Handy Andy was my first job too. I was a cashier but back then we were called 'checkers'. We had huge cash registers that had a very large ENTER button over on the right side of the key pad. We'd push (not punch, actually push) buttons that equaled the cost of an item, press that Enter button and the total would be displayed on number tags in a glass row above the top of the register. Every day I got into my yellow uniform dress with the apron. We had to wear that dress no matter what our job was. Looking back, I realize that we all looked like that waitress named 'Flo' on the sitcom Alice. She worked at Mel's Diner. That's what we all looked like!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Albertson's had some good points but were pricey. They did have good sale prices though. Kroger's I forget just too far back. Super Target's I haven't gotten into ..I feel like Target in general has gone down somewhat. However recent visits have me thinking a bit better of them. Still not buying food there though.
Kroger's - too far back? Are they not there any longer?

Fortunately, we still have Kroger's here. Between Kroger's and two other grocery chains called Food Lion and Farm Fresh (Supervalu is the parent company), we have some alternatives to shopping at Walmart all the time. I know that people complain about the HEB stores, but oh, what I wouldn't give to have one up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJTexas View Post
There was another grocery chain they tried to make in the 80s I think it was called Hidden Harvest, or something like that. I remember one being on nacodoches just outside of 410. They had a couple of other locations which I remember but don't remember.
I read where someone already suggested that this might have actually been Sun Harvest. Wasn't Sun Harvest the store that sold a lot of products in bulk quantities?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 04:35 PM

114,274 posts, read 55,372,895 times
Quote:
I read where someone already suggested that this might have actually been Sun Harvest. Wasn't Sun Harvest the store that sold a lot of products in bulk quantities?
Kroger's and Albertson's are both long gone from SA. Sun Harvest was more of a health food if I recall. Not bulk . I wasn't that familiar as there weren't any on my side of town. I think Penn Foods were sorta health stuff.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:27 PM

2,359 posts, read 5,524,238 times
Sun harvest does sell some stuff in bulk, but its mainly coffee, grains, candy, etc. I remember a grocery store called Warehouse Grocery, they were mainly on the south side.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:40 PM

I think Consumer's Commissary was Handy Andy's effort in that type store. There was one in the old Spartan-Atlantic or Woolco ..?? building at Military Drive and Roosevelt. I can't even remember all that has been in my own neighborhood anymore. Very short lived..late 70's or early 80's most likely the 80's. I think Magna-Mart and Warehouse grocery were a block south of Military DR. on S. Flores.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:45 PM

2,359 posts, read 5,524,238 times
I know of 2 warehouse grocery stores, one on Flores and military it was behind solo serve. The other was on Pleasanton there was a winn's and eckerd in that strip, now I think its a bingo parlour.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:13 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,547,843 times
Default Spartan-Atlantic Stores,

We had one too, Spartan Dept. Store near us. But it was before the Atlantic was added to the Spartan Atlantic name. Very close by at the intersection of Goliad and Loop 13 -as Military dr. was called back then.
That was the first, I can recall anyway, of a dept. store being overrun with a bunch of cheap Japanese products all in one place. This was at a little earlier time than the Spartan at Roosevelt and Military you mentioned, however satx.
In fact I don't even remember that one, if I saw a picture of it I would I'd bet.
I remember Woolco, was that an offshoot of Woolworth's ? I remember hearing something about this. I can even remember Albertson's being a Skagg- Albertson's in Dallas or Houston.
The Goliad rd. Spartan location was open for business at least in 1964 probably 1963 ot even 62 might be a more accurate date for the opening of
that Spartan Dept. Store. It too was open only for a short time.
Don't think I remember Magna -Mart or Warehouse Grocery. I do remember a Fed-Mart Store on Military Dr. near Pleasanton Rd. Also during the sixties.
That Goliad location written of reminds me of a surprise incident that happened to me and friend Dan. If one drove straight out Goliad straight onto the other side of Military, I think it was called the Old Corpus Christi Highway, a very narrow, abandoned, very dark, unlit and very broken up narrow asphalt two laner. We did not know , that it was an abandoned road one evening around ten p.m..
We also did not know that Brooks Field had erected a chain link fence across
this abandoned old road and could not notice it in the dark that night.
Having just gotten his new drivers license and driving too fast this kid crashed entirely through this Chain link fence which Brooks had constructed around their boundaries about -one mile past Military dr. across this old road. To make things even worse it was his dad's new car a new Rambler Ambassador, a luxury car made by American Motors.
We never even saw the fence til' it was way too late. Needless to say he went directly home to face his dad.
Four years later Dan enlisted in the air force and went to OCS. That old road and its' accompanying very ancient wooden planked bridge aren't there any more. Maybe it was across Salado Creek. The bridge appeared as if would collapse with the weight of a modern car on it. When my dad drove across it and I was a very small kid,looking out the back side window of a 1960 Ford Galaxy I remember waiting for the sound of a crash, always expecting to end up in the creek below. The worse case of bad infrastructure I have ever seen.
It must have been engineered during the era of wooden wagons and Ford Model T's.

Quote:
I think Consumer's Commissary was Handy Andy's effort in that type store. There was one in the old Spartan-Atlantic or Woolco ..?? building at Military Drive and Roosevelt. I can't even remember all that has been in my own neighborhood anymore. Very short lived..late 70's or early 80's most likely the 80's. I think Magna-Mart and Warehouse grocery were a block south of Military DR. on S. Flores.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I know of 2 warehouse grocery stores, one on Flores and military it was behind solo serve. The other was on Pleasanton there was a winn's and eckerd in that strip, now I think its a bingo parlour.
Yes right behind Solo Serve on Flores & Military was one. That's the one I recall. The other location you mention where the Bingo place is must be at Sayers and Pleasanton. I don't think that was the location of one. I could be wrong but.. Corner of Pleasanton and Southcross had a Piggly Wiggly way back and seems like a Food-Saver or some such name grocer in there last. The property at Sayers and Pleasanton with a Domino's Pizza and did have a record shop a few years back does have a bingo Hall. An uncle of mine and his family once lived in a 100+ year old two story house on that property. Just north of that property was a lot and an outfit called Chris Miller Drayage. They lived there I think at least 20 years until the strip center was built. They moved to Elmendorf where my uncle became the volunteer Fire Chief for the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
We had one too, Spartan Dept. Store near us. But it was before the Atlantic was added to the Spartan Atlantic name. Very close by at the intersection of Goliad and Loop 13 -as Military dr. was called back then.
That was the first, I can recall anyway, of a dept. store being overrun with a bunch of cheap Japanese products all in one place. This was at a little earlier time than the Spartan at Roosevelt and Military you mentioned, however satx.
I remember Woolco, was that an offshoot of Woolworth's ? I remember hearing something about this. I can even remember Albertson's being a Skagg- Albertson's in Dallas or Houston.
The Goliad rd. Spartan location was open for business at least in 1964 probably 1963 ot even 62 might be a more accurate date for the opening of
that Spartan Dept. Store. It too was open only for a short time.
Don't think I remember Magna -Mart or Warehouse Grocery. I do remember a Fed-Mart Store on Military Dr. near Pleasanton Rd. Also during the sixties.
That Goliad location written of reminds me of a surprise incident that happened to me and friend Dan. If one drove straight out Goliad straight onto the other side of Military, I think it was called the Old Corpus Christi Highway, a very narrow, abandoned, very dark, unlit and very broken up narrow asphalt two laner. We did not know , that it was an abandoned road one evening around ten p.m..
We also did not know that Brooks Field had erected a chain link fence across
this abandoned old road and could not notice it in the dark that night.
Having just gotten his new drivers license and driving too fast this kid crashed entirely through this Chain link fence which Brooks had constructed around their boundaries about -one mile past Military dr. across this old road. To make things even worse it was his dad's new car a new Rambler Ambassador, a luxury car made by American Motors.
We never even saw the fence til' it was way too late. Needless to say he went directly home to face his dad.
Four years later Dan enlisted in the air force and went to OCS. That old road and its' accompanying very ancient wooden planked bridge aren't there any more. Maybe it was across Salado Creek. The bridge appeared as if would collapse with the weight of a modern car on it. When my dad drove across it and I was a very small kid,looking out the back side window of a 1960 Ford Galaxy I remember waiting for the sound of a crash, always expecting to end up in the creek below. The worse case of bad infrastructure I have ever seen.
It must have been engineered during the era of wooden wagons and Ford Model T's.
Fed -Mart was at Military and Zarzamora. That 100 Octane kept my Camaro roaring in the early 70's. Spartan Atlantic/or Woolco on Goliad was either at Military or down at Goliad and Clark in the triangle where the Drive in used to be. Bel-Aire or Parkaire I think. Later that location became a Tandy's and a McDuff's I think it was. There was a Handy Dan's at Military and Goliad though it wasn't right up to Goliad as I recall. Slightly west of it. I'm thinking where K-Mart was across Goliad may have been the Spartan Atlantic. Woolco at Clark...Wish I'd had a video Camera the last 40-50 years or so.

Sorry to hear about the car! Funny as long as I've lived over here and been all over I've seldom gone down Corpus Christi HWY south of Military.
I do remember an old bridge and some houses right along side the road really close. Those were the days...if I just had a better memory.

PS in the mid 60's we went hill climbing on motorcycles along Salado Creek...think it was called 700 acres.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:48 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,547,843 times
Default Good memory SATX ,

Now.... can you remember ever seeing a disabled guy , a
paraplegic , poor fellow, with no legs driving around San Antonio freeways
on a motorcycle ? Don't believe it ?
Of course there was noone riding in the seat of the bike. He operated
the thing from the sidecar. I saw him a couple of times, once on 281 Northbound , about 4 miles inside 410 around the year 1985. But, there was noone in the seat of the bike, only in the sidecar. It was like something out of a movie.
I was quite amazed at this unforgettable sight as you could well imagine and could almost believe I was seeing things for a minute. It was almost unbelievable to witness. What on earth is going on here ?
So I took a picture, one handed, from the front seat of the car. I used to carry a 35mm everywhere. I have lost the blurry pic and its' negative since. Later on however, one of the local news stations interviewed this very guy one evening which is how I found out about this amazing sight and his story. He drove as if nothing out of the ordinary was happening too, and just stared straight ahead while driving, never even giving one glance sideways.
I think I remember from the t.v. interview that he had lost his legs in a motorcycle accident and that the motorcycle was set up to be operated from the sidecar but that his passion for motorcycling compelled him to do this.
I am not making this up, this is a completely legit story.
Anyone ?
Quote:

Old 04-15-2012, 05:15 PM

Thanks . Nah don't recall that..and I'd probably remember that. I assume you mean on south side? That's quite a story and sure I believe you. I've seen some strange things. There was a guy that rode around over here on a golf cart. He had a handicap of some sort....I forget what. For several years he drove that thing all over the Harlandale area. Then he just disappeared .
Btw, do any of you familiar with the south side remember a book store just south of Military on S. Flores? I believe it was on the same property that MagnaMart later built on behind the future La Feria (S.Flores and Military Dr.) The bookstore was in an old house and the guy that owned it was Bob Stubbs. Late 50's Early 60's.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:19 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,117,597 times
The only Atlantic store I remember in San Antonio was the Atlantic Mills on Fredericksburg Road. When Spartan merged with Atlantic, it became a Spartans store. I got a temporary job as a teenager there at Christmastime. All I did was assemble bicycles all day! I was glad when the job ended!

Before Sam's Club, and Costco, back in the mid 70s there was Harry Tappan's Warehouse. They sold bulk items like Sam's and Costco. They sold disposable diapers (Pampers, Kimbies, and Johnson & Johnson) at great prices over grocery stores. (I was a new father then) It was on I 35 near the Coliseum exit, but on the other side of I 35.

The Harry Tappan logo was very similar to Handy Andy's. I always figured it was an offshoot of Handy Andy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or