U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-21-2012, 07:19 PM
 
Location: the 50s and the 60s
834 posts, read 1,788,538 times
Reputation: 1542

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
.

Seems like I heard he got elected as something in a small town here in Texas. I used to laugh when driving past the spot on 281 near ( Foremost dairy or Pearl ) where he supposedly ran across in fear.





I called it Bernardo Eureste Trail.
.
.
.
The trail leads to Houston where he started defrauding Workmans Comp

I read about 8-10 years ago in the Excuse and Nuisance.

as I remember, the great bernardo reaped in 3-4 million,

and,

as sentenced,

was fined 1/2 a million

funny math there..........
.
.
Former San Antonio Councilman Disbarred for Fraud
July 23, 2003—The Texas State Bar has permanently disbarred Bernardo Eureste, a Houston attorney and former San Antonio city councilman.
Eureste has not practiced law since June 2002, when he was sentenced to three years’ probation for workers’ compensation fraud-related charges.

Eureste’s legal problems began when Texas Mutual Insurance Company (then called the Texas Workers’ Compensation Insurance Fund) uncovered billing irregularities by Eureste’s law firm.
The investigators shared their findings with the Texas Workers’ Compensation Commission (TWCC) and the FBI.

The investigation revealed that Eureste had devised a scheme to defraud his clients by submitting false claims and often billing identical hours on different clients without any variation.

“Eureste used a computer software program to fly under the radar, so to speak, and bill for


an average of 90 hours per day, seven days per week, including weekends and holidays,”


explained Elliott Flood, vice president of Special Investigations for Texas Mutual Insurance Company.

The scheme allowed Eureste to receive up to 25 percent of his clients’ temporary income benefits (TIBs) after TWCC approved his bills for file reviews.

At last week’s hearing, Assistant Disciplinary Counsel Michael E. McClendon said Eureste had stolen from his clients,
many of whom were poorly educated, lower income injured workers.
McClendon used Flood’s testimony to support his call for disbarment.
Responding to McClendon’s questions, Flood estimated that Eureste had over-billed his clients by as much as $1.4 million in a one-year period.

“This case was unique in my experience,” said Flood, after the hearing.
“As a carrier, we were not damaged by Eureste’s actions, but some of our policyholders’ injured workers were.
We pay the same amount of TIBs regardless of whether the injured worker retains an attorney.
The attorney’s fee is deducted from the injured employee’s TIBs check.
So really, Eureste wasn’t bilking Texas Mutual; he was cheating his own clients,

injured workers who could least afford it.”
.
.
Texas Mutual Insurance Company - Press release
.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2012, 09:22 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,158 posts, read 53,913,592 times
Reputation: 163163
Yeah, he was a real piece of work. Figures generally prove crime does pay... The government simply needs better accountants. With their hands in their own pockets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2012, 06:29 PM
 
Location: the 50s and the 60s
834 posts, read 1,788,538 times
Reputation: 1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
,

Super photos Mud! Yep, an Indian on the right for sure. I used to know a guy with an AJS Matchless in the 60's. 500cc one lunger if I recall. Lots of BSA's and Triumph's around back in the 60's. There was an old dirt track scrambles out at Old Pleasanton and 281 south back in the 60's. Thanks for sharing all the great photos guys!
.
.
.
thank you sir.

I remember a track down in the Riverbed next to Mission Stadium in the 50s.

I have some pix from the scrambles track you mention.
.
.
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
.

I hang on to my 1972 Sportster. Those pictures are something else mudpuddle.
The Harleys look like flathead models.
No Triumphs in there, the speed twin hadn't been manufactured yet.
No Hondas in there either, I don't think I see any.
.
.
.
yeah - no 1937 Hondas.

that 72 Sporty sounds good. got a picture??

I can only wish I had some of my old Sportsters. grew up on the Sportys.
.
.
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
.

Obviously some of those bikes are not Harleys. Maybe the Harley dealer also sold Indians. My cousin had an old Indian like the one in your 3rd pic with an inline 4 banger. Dude would run! It was an early 30's YM but zI don't remember the exact year. The bottom pic looks like the old dance hall at Bergheim.
.
.
.
could be, but I doubt the HD dealership sold Indians.

Back then there was an Indian dealership on Broadway.

got any pix of the old dance hall at Bergheim??

couple more 1930s pix............
.
.

.
.

.
.

.
.
and a couple from the Scrambles track...late 60s..........
.
.

.
.

.
.
mud
.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2012, 08:55 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,158 posts, read 53,913,592 times
Reputation: 163163
Thank you Mud! What a treasure trove of great photos. Feel like I should recognize someone at the track.

I'm sure I brought up the old Crane & Palmer or was it Crain & Palmer Pharmacy on McCullough before in GBNF. I can't recall anyone else remembering the old delivery trikes. Three wheeler Harley's I assume with the box on the back. It seems to me they were still seen running around late 60's at least. There were always a wrecked one or two on the side of the pharmacy.

P.S. The track in the river bed ...was that behind Riverview Park (or was it Riverside) .?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2012, 09:07 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,399,667 times
Reputation: 1536
Pics of Sportster- 1972 model,
In fact mudpuddle I just dug some pics of the thing out, to post anyway. I will do that tomorrow
The thing is still all original except for exhaust pipes and paint. Cable operated drum brakes .
Blinkers were optional. It was the first year with an electric starter as an option. Watch out though, the thing will start up while in gear, really. No neutral safety switch was included with the starter option. I remember it was the first motorcycle I had that came with a sealed beam headllamp,too. I was proud of that.
The others had only light bulbs for headlights like a Model T Ford- previous to that 72 model. Very dim at night but would brighten up nicely when the motor was revved up. Somewhat.
Unfortunately, No pics of rice burners to post.
I have a picture of one of the British Triumph 650's I owned too, unfortunately I sold it, to my regret in 1983.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 06:16 AM
 
Location: the 50s and the 60s
834 posts, read 1,788,538 times
Reputation: 1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
.

Pics of Sportster- 1972 model,
In fact mudpuddle I just dug some pics of the thing out, to post anyway. I will do that tomorrow
The thing is still all original except for exhaust pipes and paint. Cable operated drum brakes .
Blinkers were optional. It was the first year with an electric starter as an option. Watch out though, the thing will start up while in gear, really. No neutral safety switch was included with the starter option. I remember it was the first motorcycle I had that came with a sealed beam headllamp,too. I was proud of that.
The others had only light bulbs for headlights like a Model T Ford- previous to that 72 model. Very dim at night but would brighten up nicely when the motor was revved up. Somewhat.
Unfortunately, No pics of rice burners to post.
I have a picture of one of the British Triumph 650's I owned too, unfortunately I sold it, to my regret in 1983.
.
.
.
looking forward to the pictures..........
.
.
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
.

Thank you Mud! What a treasure trove of great photos. Feel like I should recognize someone at the track.

I'm sure I brought up the old Crane & Palmer or was it Crain & Palmer Pharmacy on McCullough before in GBNF. I can't recall anyone else remembering the old delivery trikes. Three wheeler Harley's I assume with the box on the back. It seems to me they were still seen running around late 60's at least. There were always a wrecked one or two on the side of the pharmacy.

P.S. The track in the river bed ...was that behind Riverview Park (or was it Riverside) .?
.
.
.
I typed riverbed butt meant riverbanks.

I remember this only vaguely - early 50s

another picture below from the Neuendorff collection........
.
.

.
.

.
mud
.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 11:57 AM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,158 posts, read 53,913,592 times
Reputation: 163163
More great photos Mud! Those boxes are much larger than the Crain & Palmer bikes had. Straus Frank there's a familiar name. They were in the tack & hardware business late 1800's. Appliance wholesale suppliers in the 70's moved on to own many Car Quest Auto parts stores. Finally sold out to a N Carolina Company. Most of their property at Alamo and Flores has now been leveled. GBNF for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 12:44 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,399,667 times
Reputation: 1536
Default H.D. and Brit Bike 1983,

These pictures, mudpuddle, were taken in the early eighties. Both are 1972 models
but the Triumph would take the Harley, speedwise. The only thing is it did vibrate, the front
tire on the 650 would dance at an idle. At freeway speeds, it would smooth up.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-harley.png   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-harley-phill.png   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-triumph-2.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2012, 01:06 PM
 
2,354 posts, read 5,396,340 times
Reputation: 631
Question for SATX56, where on Goliad was the old shakeys was in that area today (Had not been in that area in years) and what is there now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2012, 01:41 PM
 
Location: the 50s and the 60s
834 posts, read 1,788,538 times
Reputation: 1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Question for SATX56, where on Goliad was the old shakeys was in that area today (Had not been in that area in years) and what is there now?
.
.
.
I know you didn't ask me.

it was across the street from Floyd's burgers malts
.
.
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
These pictures, mudpuddle, were taken in the early eighties. Both are 1972 models
but the Triumph would take the Harley, speedwise. The only thing is it did vibrate, the front
tire on the 650 would dance at an idle. At freeway speeds, it would smooth up.
.
.
.
thanks for the pix huck.

so, you still have the white Sporty. nice looking machine.

I have had a couple of each the Sportsters and the Trumpet Twins.

64 XLCH - 95 XLS - 67 Triumph 650 Twin - 78 Triumph 750 Twin

If that Trumpet was faster than the HD - well that musta been one badass 650

here's a snapshot from this morning in front of what once was The Intimate GoGo - Gone But Not Forgotten
.
usta be GoGo, now they're NoNo. HaHa.
.
my current machine........................
.
.

.
.

.
mud
.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top