U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 12:31 PM

136 posts, read 264,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
What a change! If I ever get back home for a visit, I better count on getting lost and not being able to find my way around. It'll be worse than being a tourist.

LOL !

After I joined the Navy, I didn't come back for a visit for eight years. I drove in from the left coast, confidently expecting to be able to find my way home, but I hadn't counted on the Interstate changes and just the growth over the years. I blew right by the exit to Goliad Road off of the Loop because it didn't look anything like I remembered. (it wasn't even the Loop anymore it was Military Drive) Realized I'd missed it after a bit, and turned around and blew past it again. When I got to S. Presa again I gave up and pulled into a service station and bought a map. Even then it wasn't easy. (Where's Jim's?, Where's the drive-in? Pecan Valley, what's that? What's McCreeless doing over there?) Embarassing !

Been back several times since then, but always with my GPS updated and running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 03:39 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,067,252 times
Remember when you would go over to someone's house and they would have their Harley in the living room? Gone but not forgotten--or is it?

Old 08-02-2012, 03:44 PM

114,158 posts, read 53,913,592 times
I kept mine in the kitchen.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:16 PM

6,253 posts, read 8,961,136 times
I kept mine in the garage.....and geeze - I lived on the west side - you guys musta REALLY been deep in the hood!

Old 08-02-2012, 06:23 PM

114,158 posts, read 53,913,592 times
I was 14 all my bikes got stolen so ....... We had a carport at that time.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:58 PM

4 posts, read 7,880 times
Default Old Time San Antonio

Does anybody out there remember San Antonio in the 50's and 60's when it was a small city, before it became a big city?
Remember: Stranges BBQ, Youngblood's Chicken, Playland Park, Richters Butter Crust Bakery and the smell on Broadway so heavenly, Joto's, Wonderland Mall, Alamo Sports Cars, Wolf's Inn, Ricci Ware,
The Centurys, Jimmy Lane & The Galaxies, San Antonio Music, Jim's Frontier, Eastwood Country Club? Write if you do. Great places, great food, great music.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:43 PM

97 posts, read 112,284 times
i remember all this you speak of and i can say that was San Antonio's best time for everything---- the times of today do not seem as memorable and impressionable somewhat.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:39 PM

11 posts, read 18,996 times
Question Location of old bar or resturant serving "crispy dogs"

Cripsy dogs were a weiner stuffed with cheese wrapped in a tortilla and deep fried. There was place out highway 90 a few miles past Lackland AFB that served these. I was in the Air Force in 1955 and went to this place on numerous occassions. I can't remember the name of the place or the exact location. Was not a fancy place, kind of a drive in with curb service, there were a few tables inside. Mostlly hamburgers, hot dogs and other fast food as I recall. If any one remembers the name and/or the location, would like to know.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:48 PM

229 posts, read 586,292 times
I don't know the place you speak. But if you're looking for some now, you can find them at the Malt House on Zarzamora.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,513 times
Default Things I remember in San Antonio!

I was born and raised in San Antonio ... It all started back in 1958! Was gone from SA for only a short 10 years, back when I was in the Air Force (1977 - 1987). However, I am happy to say I eventually retired here, and am here to stay. I grew up on the NE side of town, in Universal City. Here are a few things I remember about "My side of town" ....

1. The TeePee Steakhouse on Austin Highway. Used to have a guy in full head-dress sitting on horseback out by the road. I remember this from my early Elementary School day back in the 60s.

2. Playland Park .... Who from SA in the 40s thru the 80s doesn't? Location is still undeveloped, but alas, all vestiges of the once great park have been removed .... Nothing but trees and grass left!

3. Brackenridge Park. The Witte Museum, train ride, zoo and golf course are still there. However, the old horseback riding stables ceased to exist decades ago.

4. The old Mobil Service Station at the corner of Broadway and Austin Highway is still there, though it is now some artsy-fartsy establishment. The old Mobil red neon "Winged Pegasus" sign still sits atop it, glowing brightly every night!

5. I have seen images of the remnants of Ricci Ware's Pan-American Speedway (Near the intersection of IH-35 and Toepperwein Rd.) in websites like Mapquest, but it seems that what was left of the oval track has been removed within the last 10 years.

6. Speaking of Ricci Ware, he's still kicking around SA somewhere. He used to have a daily radio show on 550 KTSA, but the last time I heard him on the radio, he was only doing a weekend gig. His son, Trey Ware, now has a daily morning show on the station. BTW, for those of you not "In the know" KTSA no longer plays Top-40 (If there is even still such a thing) .... It is now talk-radio.

7. For those of you who think that Earl Abel's is gone because it can no longer be seen at the corner of Hildebrand and Broadway .... Well, you'd be wrong! The name and the recipes were bought from the Earl Abel family and the whole shebang has been moved over to the old Terrell Plaza Shopping Center on Austin Highway.

8. The old Shakey's Pizza Parlor on Austin Highway is gone, but the building still exists. A subsequent establishment bought the building and decorated it to look like some sort of castle .... That business has been long gone too!

9. The old Frontier Drive-in Restaurant on Austin Highway is long gone. I believe the property it sat on is now occupied by a Lowes Home Center. I used to love their Char-Chili-Cheese Burger in my younger days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or