Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 12:59 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,398,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
One thing that impressed my on my drive up was the now so-called Deco District. They've done a really good job revitalizing this area. Most of the houses along Fulton street have been competely restored, they look awesome. If you go Montecello, you see some beatifully restored mansions, too.

I couldn't help be impressed with some of the old architecture that still exists in this area. I've attached three pictures, two of old bus stops, and one of an old building currently restored and in use. Can anybody tell me the origin of this building or what it used to be? It looks pretty interesting.
Back till the med 80's it used to be a texaco gas station, very old building.
If you look where the pizza place is behind it that was the first home of Fujiya, that building was torn years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 01:01 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,398,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Mud: I was going to Jeff , grad. 1961. Here is a pic of Epps inside and out. I think Epps girls were going to Jeff about that time.

Here's a link to the ads in the 1960 annual( we got this annual at the Kit Kat Klub) ads :: 5-18-2008111432PM.jpg picture by jh1882 - Photobucket

This was the most expensive annual produced. It even had a 45 rpm record in the back, "The Sounds of Jeff."
I think thats how fujiya looked in the early 80's.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:06 AM

4,298 posts, read 7,162,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Wow did not know they were around that long, can you tell where the locations were in 94? I remember in 96 one at Dezavala and ih 10 at the bowling alley.
The locations were: 6004 Ingram Rd., 2247 Lockhill-Selma, 7625 Tezel, and 117 SW Military. The 12332 W IH 10 location was listed as the one to call for deliveries.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:34 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,527,877 times
I've been getting caught up on this site. I am happy to see new things "Gone but not Forgotten" are being discovered. I want to thank Mudpuddle for his amazing memory. It was called "Something Different" and I spent many happy hours there. I went to Swizzle Stick too. I might have mentioned this before but I think somebody needs to explore the numerous Windowless Bars and Domino Bars that are still around and also those that are gone but not forgotten. I read somewhere that the BONANZA chain was started by Dan Blocker (remember Hoss on the TV show?). Maybe not but it makes sense. Remember when Wendy's had a salad bar? Remember when KFC had an all you can eat buffet? Remember Home Town Buffet or Ryan's? Remember when NOBODY had salad bars? Well mostly nobody. I think Shakey's had a Pizza and Fried chicken Buffet for lunch but I don't remember a salad bar.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:40 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,799,623 times
How about exploring the old "ice houses". This is a San Antonio tradition.

Texas Icehouses Melt Away

By The Kitchen Sisters
Morning Edition, June 30, 2006 · Texas Icehouses. Part town hall, part tavern, icehouses have been a South Texas tradition since the 1920s. Before refrigeration, icehouses stored and distributed block ice for the neighborhood iceboxes.
Over time, they diversified-- iced beer, a little food, maybe some groceries -- a cool, air-conditioned spot where neighbors and families come to sit, talk, play dominoes, turn up the juke box, maybe eat some chicken wings, dance on the slab outside. No two are alike -- Sanchez', Acapulco, Dos Hermanas, Stanley's, La Tuna, The Beer Depot, The Texan.
Once a vital part of everyday local culture -- a cornerstone of every neighborhood in San Antonio and Houston -- they are rapidly diminishing, an endangered species. The Kitchen Sisters take us on a journey into this Mexican-German-Tejano-Anglo tradition.

http://www.npr.org/s.php?sId=5522825&m=1

Old 06-29-2009, 05:55 PM

I looked up San Antonio ice houses and found sites with maps and reviews but no photos. Someone with a camera should go and photograph these joints before their gone!

Old 07-01-2009, 02:47 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,265,835 times
Quote:
I looked up San Antonio ice houses and found sites with maps and reviews but no photos. Someone with a camera should go and photograph these joints before their gone!
I volunteer!! I'll let you know what I find out. Not this weekend, but the following two weekends my wife will be visiting family in Florida, so I got some time to pursue my urban historical hobby (without having to defend my sanity or priorities, for once!). And this gives me time to do more research on these Ice Houses!!!

Old 07-01-2009, 03:50 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,463,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I've been getting caught up on this site. I am happy to see new things "Gone but not Forgotten" are being discovered. I want to thank Mudpuddle for his amazing memory. It was called "Something Different" and I spent many happy hours there. I went to Swizzle Stick too. I might have mentioned this before but I think somebody needs to explore the numerous Windowless Bars and Domino Bars that are still around and also those that are gone but not forgotten. I read somewhere that the BONANZA chain was started by Dan Blocker (remember Hoss on the TV show?). Maybe not but it makes sense. Remember when Wendy's had a salad bar? Remember when KFC had an all you can eat buffet? Remember Home Town Buffet or Ryan's? Remember when NOBODY had salad bars? Well mostly nobody. I think Shakey's had a Pizza and Fried chicken Buffet for lunch but I don't remember a salad bar.
Well Dwangle I certainly remember the Somethin' Different and even the Swizzle Stick! Was it you I told several months ago about Dan Blocker attending Elementary at Carroll Bell Elementary here in town?? He grew up in Pearsall with some of my wife's aunts knowing him from school!!
Quote:
How about exploring the old "ice houses". This is a San Antonio tradition.

By The Kitchen Sisters
Morning Edition, June 30, 2006 · Texas Icehouses. Part town hall, part tavern, icehouses have been a South Texas tradition since the 1920s. Before refrigeration, icehouses stored and distributed block ice for the neighborhood iceboxes.
Over time, they diversified-- iced beer, a little food, maybe some groceries -- a cool, air-conditioned spot where neighbors and families come to sit, talk, play dominoes, turn up the juke box, maybe eat some chicken wings, dance on the slab outside. No two are alike -- Sanchez', Acapulco, Dos Hermanas, Stanley's, La Tuna, The Beer Depot, The Texan.
Once a vital part of everyday local culture -- a cornerstone of every neighborhood in San Antonio and Houston -- they are rapidly diminishing, an endangered species. The Kitchen Sisters take us on a journey into this Mexican-German-Tejano-Anglo tradition.

LaTuna on Probandt?? That's a newbie! ???? two sister's ?? The "Texan" Restaurant?? Stanley's been around a long time ...learned to ride a bike right behind it!! Looks like it may have just folded !! The OLd ones Mulberry Inn!! RedTop Cafe!! Blue Moon Cafe!! Sam Sawyer's!!! Blackie's Tavern!! Fat Man's!!! C & J's , Running Bear's , The Curve Dr In!!! Powell's Ice house!!

Quote:
Industrial Lubricants turned two of our old Commerce Ice houses into U-Oil-It's in the 70's I guess!! Lone Star Ice Houses!! Pure Ice House or Company!! True refrigerating Ice block company!! Existed into 70's !! Southside Reporter had a nice write up on it!! We went there for years for fish and tackle , deer storage. Owner learned refrigeration in the navy and then bought the place out from under original owner!! The old cold storage on Commerce or Houston near the "Spaghetti Warehouse" !! Lone Stars Ice plants at Florida or Carolina Streets off I-37!

I still remember a couple places with the ice storage rooms lined with cork and tared over!! The smell I'll always remember!!

Last edited by SATX56; 07-01-2009 at 04:00 AM..

Old 07-01-2009, 07:41 AM

Thanks GW and satx56. Go forth and preserve history. I'm stuck over in Seguin (and they don't have any). Otherwise I'd be there with you. Good luck.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:09 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,677,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Funny that some posters here started talking about Bonanza today. As I was driving up Fred road, it brought a lot of old memories of things that used to exist on that road. I tried to remember them as I was driving. Bonanza was definitely one on the list, but so was the original Golden Wok (or at least the one that redates the one on Wurzbach), The Dungeon Comic book store, Jade Fountain. I've attached a picture of a building that I am pretty sure started out in life as an old Arby's like the kind that used to exist behind North Star mall.
I can confirm...this was an Arby's for years...it is the one next to the Woodlawn theater for those familar with the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio