U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 10:07 AM

47 posts, read 67,306 times

Advertisements

Remember those cars that were also boats? They even had a propeller on the back. How about the car that looked like a rolling refrigerator? It had one door in the front and I think only three wheels. I had an Allstate Crusaire. I had to dump a cup of oil in the fuel tank when I FILLED UP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 01:06 PM

114,159 posts, read 54,004,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylpearson View Post
i don't want to scroll thru all 337 pages of this thread, so here is the situation. back in the late 1970's(prob. '79-81) there was a boarding and riding stables located off of the old prue and babcock road. it was a little south of babcock on one of these streets; horn blvd, pembroke, abe lincoln and stonykirk. this area was wilderness then. the place was called DOC'S ARENA. the main entrance off the road had a hiwooden sign that read just THE ARENA. as you entered, you drove down a short, straight dirt driveway that ended by the horse stables on the right side. there were maybe 4-5 stalls. to the left of the road was a small shack, with a concrete slab. they used to hold parties and drink here. further to the left was a big stone house. i am sure, but cannot confirm, that this 'stone house' was prob. the main residence of the people long ago removed. the house was occupied at the time by a guy named BOB. he was supposed to be the son, or nephew, of the man who owned the luby restaurants. i never could confirm that. but he was an alcoholic. he drank every day, and lived at the arena. drove a beat up old truck. he was about 6'3", wore glasses, and always dressed "cowboy". he was a nice guy. i never had any run-ins with him. one of his boarders was a girl named Karen. don't know last name. she was very young at that time. prob. a teenager. she rode a paint horse. another girl that boarded there was sandra james. she also rode a paint horse, and was a barrel racer. she entered small competitions around the san antonio area.her paint horse was named "sunny". she also had a quarter horse named "whiskey". there was one other man i recall who either kept his horse there, or he 'broke' horses for other people. he was a black man named leon. very nice. always wore a black cowboy hat. i am sure there were other people who came and went, but those are the ones i remember. time kinda slipped away, and i never got back out there. i was in the area back when they were first starting to bull doze the area for subdivisions. i have some pics from the place. i will post those. i wanted to give as much info as i could, in the hopes that someone may remember this place.

Doc's Arena-1980(sandra James In The Middle. "karen" On The Right Photo by Darryl_Glen_Pearson | Photobucket

Docs Arena-1981(sandra On The Horse. Leon In The White Hat. Other Guy In Black Hat Is Unknown. The Main Entrance To Docs Is In The Background) Photo by Darryl_Glen_Pearson | Photobucket

Docs-arena-1981(sandra And "Sunny". The Guy In The Photo Worked At Beldon Roofing On West Ave. His Name Is Unknown) Photo by Darryl_Glen_Pearson | Photobucket

Docs Arena-1981(sandra And Sunny Headed To The Barn.) Photo by Darryl_Glen_Pearson | Photobucket

Yep! Doc's Arena as I said a couple pages back. Actually 6 pages back.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:47 PM

834 posts, read 1,791,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post

Yep! Doc's Arena as I said a couple pages back. Actually 6 pages back.
so what?? ya think someone is *listening*??

Old 04-05-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
so what?? ya think someone is *listening*??
Doesn't seem like it. Sort of like I gotta get it all out there now!

Old 04-05-2013, 07:08 PM

834 posts, read 1,791,971 times
Quote:

Doesn't seem like it. Sort of like I gotta get it all out there now!
.b.i.d. - buried in darryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellviewforever View Post

Remember those cars that were also boats? They even had a propeller on the back. How about the car that looked like a rolling refrigerator? It had one door in the front and I think only three wheels. I had an Allstate Crusaire. I had to dump a cup of oil in the fuel tank when I FILLED UP.
AmphiCars. Two props as I remember. Triumph engine.
some folks removed the engine and built a GOkart around it.

the rolling refrigerators - Isettas. some had three some had four wheels.

there is one setting at the corner of Hermosa and Blanco.

my old friend here *next* to one......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellviewforever View Post
KYPED?? I forgot that I used to use that word! What else? We used to knock on wood when we farted. If we missed the ball we "gobbled it." To find out who batted first we would catch the bat and move up to the top with our hands. Top hand batted first. We used to play a marble game called Poison. We had a bunch of crazy rules on how to play. This time of year (April) we would all be flying Kites. Remember the Superman kite? It was clear plastic with a picture of Superman on it. It looked like Superman was really flying. Sort of.
yeah. kyped.

building and flyin kites was great fun. yep. bout this time of the year.

etc etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
I started bowling at the Woodlawn Bowling Lanes with a friend. He went on to bowl several 300 games. It helped that he managed bowling alleys for several years.
the Woodlawn. bowling alleys on the second floor. loved it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post

I think I've bowled competitively in almost ever house in town with the exception of Bowlerama.

I don't remember any tournaments ever being held there.

Tons of tournaments at Country Lanes and even Billy Mitchell Lanes but I don't remember one at Bowlerama.
tournaments I remember at Bowlerama were in the Billiard Room.

lotsa cash and kinda hush hush.
Quote:

Oh sad man! Another one bites the dust. But, for a good cause!

wasn't so bad for me. 14 years with a 57 Chevy.

parents went and bought a 65 Impala Super Sport.

My Dad and I went to Somerset Road and bought a front clip for about hundred bux.

fenders hood grille etc.

hundred bux today won't buy the V trim on the hood.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post

AmphiCars.
wasn't so bad for me. 14 years with a 57 Chevy.

parents went and bought a 65 Impala Super Sport.

My Dad and I went to Somerset Road and bought a front clip for about hundred bux.

fenders hood grille etc.

hundred bux today won't buy the V trim on the hood.
I remember the Amphicars.... seemed like quite a few around back in the day. Crazy idea...

Well Mud, getting the 57' in the deal worked out great. Somerset Rd is still the place to go if you want a decent price on parts. Buy a whole car for what Pick-n-Pulls charge for a couple screws and a decorative part. An old friend went from his bored Cushman Eagle (many rides on it had my ribs killing me) to a baby blue 57' back in early 60's. He lost a leg in Viet-Nam and has a welding shop east of town. Cool dude!

I've bowled at St Gerard's, Herman Sons, Oak Hills, Ponderosa, Southside, Bowlerland (All-Star), Hill Country, maybe where Randy's Rodeo is and possibly a couple others. Woodlawn never that I know of.. not sure where it was. I'm pretty sure I've bowled in Billy Mitchell ( I know I've been there). I've bowled in the alley's in Brooks Field long before it's demise. I remember the pool room at Bowlerama. Shot some pool in there. Looked like it was set up to be sort of secluded or limited access. You'd expect it to be more open to the bowling area. 30 years ago I could recall differently than accurate.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:28 PM

235 posts, read 316,526 times
DELLVIEWFOREVER...
i do remember seeing the"finck" sign on the barbed wire fence, close to the original gate to the driveway, which was at the northeast corner of west avenue & Jackson keller. i do not have any conformation that Finck lived on, or owned, the property. it, of course, is where HEB is now built. back in the early 60's, you could not see the house from west ave. too many trees. and the creek at jackson keller was just that; a small rock creek that ran thru the property. over the years, because of huge flooding problems in that area(see my photos), the city 'fixed' the problem with what you see today. a huge concrete drainage ditch. but, to get back to my story. i want to emphasize here that the house was empty when we used to go there and gig for frogs, look for "wild animals"; you know....boys just being boys. i was hoping someone may recall who actually lived in the house before it was abandoned. i took some photos today from the access road of loop 410, just east of west ave. the place has a chain link fence around it. the city stored some of their equipment and materials when they were working to widen loop 410, and other stuff in the area. there are no buildings standing on the property; at least, none i can see there is an asphalt driveway that runs from the loop 410 access road that leads to 2-3 huge oak trees. there is an area near these trees that looks like a slab...may have been from the garage, or something else. looks too small to have been the foundation for the original house. there are some more oaks trees to the west of those other oak trees. ther is a small road that is parallel to the access road of 410, and runs back towards the drainage ditch. i am just curious who really lived on this land back in the late 50's, early 60's. any help anyone can give is greatly appreciated. sorry for the posting of the duplicate pics. sometimes my brain stops working. when it starts again, i say, "did i post that pic already??"

Old 04-05-2013, 11:43 PM

Default finck place??

Quote:
DELLVIEWFOREVER...
i do remember seeing the"finck" sign on the barbed wire fence, close to the original gate to the driveway, which was at the northeast corner of west avenue & Jackson keller. i do not have any conformation that Finck lived on, or owned, the property. it, of course, is where HEB is now built. back in the early 60's, you could not see the house from west ave. too many trees. and the creek at jackson keller was just that; a small rock creek that ran thru the property. over the years, because of huge flooding problems in that area(see my photos), the city 'fixed' the problem with what you see today. a huge concrete drainage ditch. but, to get back to my story. i want to emphasize here that the house was empty when we used to go there and gig for frogs, look for "wild animals"; you know....boys just being boys. i was hoping someone may recall who actually lived in the house before it was abandoned. i took some photos today from the access road of loop 410, just east of west ave. the place has a chain link fence around it. the city stored some of their equipment and materials when they were working to widen loop 410, and other stuff in the area. there are no buildings standing on the property; at least, none i can see there is an asphalt driveway that runs from the loop 410 access road that leads to 2-3 huge oak trees. there is an area near these trees that looks like a slab...may have been from the garage, or something else. looks too small to have been the foundation for the original house. there are some more oaks trees to the west of those other oak trees. ther is a small road that is parallel to the access road of 410, and runs back towards the drainage ditch. i am just curious who really lived on this land back in the late 50's, early 60's. any help anyone can give is greatly appreciated. sorry for the posting of the duplicate pics. sometimes my brain stops working. when it starts again, i say, "did i post that pic already??"

here are the 2 photos of the possible Finck place.....

Ed Finck Property-2013 Photo by Darryl_Glen_Pearson | Photobucket

Ed Finck Property-2013 Photo by Darryl_Glen_Pearson | Photobucket

Old 04-05-2013, 11:47 PM

sorry satx56....did not see your response.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
sorry satx56....did not see your response.
No problem Daryl... enjoying your pics. But, you are passing up some questions and comments I think. Here's one I'm interested in also.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/28981741-post3353.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or