U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 PM

834 posts, read 1,801,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post

I've been to Sparrow Bros back in the 70's with company vehicle as I recall.

Art's we called Art's Atlas back in the 70's.
Sparrow Bros - good people.

arts atlas - I wouldn't P on their foot if they gave me a hundred dollar bill and KMA.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 PM

114,172 posts, read 54,234,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
Sparrow Bros - good people.

arts atlas - I wouldn't P on their foot if they gave me a hundred dollar bill and KMA.......
Yeah, I remember Sparrow's as good people. Art's seemed to be where some were getting their wheels and mufflers back then. So I take it you highly recommend them.... Not!

I saw someone posted and reminded me of the Pep Boy's at Third and Broadway I think. I'd forgotten it. I bought a bunch of junk when they were closing up back in the early 70's. Same with the one at Logwood and SW Military Drive. Now home to U-Haul across Logwood from GBNF General Tire.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Yeah, I remember Sparrow's as good people. Art's seemed to be where some were getting their wheels and mufflers back then. .

So I take it you highly recommend them....

Not!
yeah. right. as you note, they are highly recommend - haha hahaha

and another ha ha

where do you get those grinny faces with the big teeth -

I copy/pasted that one above -

cool shet man........

Old 04-26-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
yeah. right. as you note, they are highly recommend - haha hahaha

and another ha ha

where do you get those grinny faces with the big teeth -

I copy/pasted that one above -

cool shet man........
They're in the box on the right as you make up your post ....over there>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
or just type it like this : D with no space between. I have many memorized. I think I've copy/pasted everything at one time or another.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:14 PM

136 posts, read 266,433 times
Along the lines of auto parts and garages, anybody remember Alton Applewhite's garage ? IIRC, it was at the corner of So. St. Mary's and Florida Street. My Dad always took our cars to him, and I learned most of what I knew about mechanics from watching and later helping his mechanics. Did most of the engine work on my '55 Ford myself, but needed help when it came to suspension stuff. He let me use one of his work bays on a Sunday to swap the 6 cylinder engine in the '55 with a '56 Merc V8 I bought from a wrecking yard on New Braunfels near St. Gerard's.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post

Along the lines of auto parts and garages, anybody remember Alton Applewhite's garage ?

IIRC, it was at the corner of So. St. Mary's and Florida Street.

google says alton applewhite was at 928 s. flores from 1935 to 1970.
.... Applewhite Automotive - Leon Valley, TX
next link is well worth scrolling through...........
.. Leon Valley - Google Books

Old 05-04-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
"was at 928 s. flores from 1935 to 1970."
"next link is well worth scrolling through..........."
Well, I was off a bit I guess. Now I'm gonna go nuts until I remember what was at St. Mary's and Florida that I've forgotten about.

The Leon Valley link is indeed a good one.

Thanks for the address and the links.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
Well, I was off a bit I guess. Now I'm gonna go nuts until I remember what was at St. Mary's and Florida that I've forgotten about.

The Leon Valley link is indeed a good one.

Thanks for the address and the links.
Look around in this view Boss. Maybe it will help you remember. I don't recall what on either corner. I can't even recall what was where the new fire station is nearby.

Google Maps

Old 05-04-2013, 09:49 PM

SATX56, Thanks for the view. I don't know what's happening in my Chemo-addled brain, but that Alanis Towing garage on the corner is what I recall as Applewhites. The blue structure wasn't there, but that area was covered with a green fiberglass roof supported by steel posts, and he parked used cars on the St. Mary's street side. Also, the Flores location also isn't on the corner, and Applewhite's was. Time to give Mom a call again.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:22 PM

5,621 posts, read 13,064,180 times
I don't think yer losing it Boss Rider. My grand father bought an almost new 1954 Mercury from a car lot on St Marys just like you described. Steel Posts and green fiberglas, I remember it well but I'm not sure where on St Marys other than in that area. So if yer really losing it, at least yer not alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or