U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 AM

1,588 posts, read 3,032,382 times

Advertisements

I missed working at the Parkair, as it closed before I started in the theatre business, but I saw at least one movie there as a kid. I also never worked at the San Pedro Outdoor located at San Pedro and Rampart that was featured on the blog, but worked many years, at it's successor that was located at 281 and Bitters. It was 29 years ago last week that we closed the "new" San Pedro Outdoor. I loved every minute I worked out there. Closing night was very sad for me. We had a BIG crowd. One of the features on closing night was "Ghostbusters" that had the longest run any feature had at a San Antonio drive in.

I worked the Alamo Drive In's last summer of operation in 1972. There were 22 drive ins in the San Antonio area, and I was fortunate enough to work at most of them.

Willsatx, the Bandera Road Drive In was one of my favorites, too. It had an aluminum silver colored screen that made the picture brighter and sharper than the white screens at the other DIs. Unfortunately, in the early 1970s, lumber stored in the screen tower caught fire, and the aluminum screen actually melted from the heat. They replaced it with a plain white screen for the final years of it's existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 11:56 AM

114,171 posts, read 54,213,408 times
I was fortunate enough to have seen movies at most of SA's Drive Ins. Mud,.. Church's really was a hole in the wall. Must have been about where the red Mexican statue thingy is on the little island. 2nd location and first with their trademark signage was at Somerset and S.W. Military Drive. Directly across from the old Lackland Drive In. Behind the old Comet station. Hemisfair certainly changed things and made it difficult to remember what was...

Old 08-21-2013, 12:06 PM

834 posts, read 1,800,364 times
this is a great photo from there

zoom it up to full scale.

Harlendale Theatre 1937............
http://utsalibrariestopshelf.files.w...z-1216-d-1.jpg
and a page with a lot more.........
San Antonio Movie Theaters in the Zintgraff Studio Photograph Collection | The Top Shelf

Old 08-21-2013, 12:17 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,424,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I missed working at the Parkair, as it closed before I started in the theatre business, but I saw at least one movie there as a kid. I also never worked at the San Pedro Outdoor located at San Pedro and Rampart that was featured on the blog, but worked many years, at it's successor that was located at 281 and Bitters. It was 29 years ago last week that we closed the "new" San Pedro Outdoor. I loved every minute I worked out there. Closing night was very sad for me. We had a BIG crowd. One of the features on closing night was "Ghostbusters" that had the longest run any feature had at a San Antonio drive in.

I worked the Alamo Drive In's last summer of operation in 1972. There were 22 drive ins in the San Antonio area, and I was fortunate enough to work at most of them.

Willsatx, the Bandera Road Drive In was one of my favorites, too. It had an aluminum silver colored screen that made the picture brighter and sharper than the white screens at the other DIs. Unfortunately, in the early 1970s, lumber stored in the screen tower caught fire, and the aluminum screen actually melted from the heat. They replaced it with a plain white screen for the final years of it's existence.
I vaguely remember the drive in on military but do remember the one on bandera, do you remember when it closed?

Old 08-21-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
this is a great photo from there

zoom it up to full scale.

Harlendale Theatre 1937............
http://utsalibrariestopshelf.files.w...z-1216-d-1.jpg
and a page with a lot more.........
San Antonio Movie Theaters in the Zintgraff Studio Photograph Collection | The Top Shelf
Thanks mud! I haven't checked out the ITC/ UTSA stuff in quite a while. Great shot of the Harlandale Theater. I've seen one similar it could be the same. I still have the CD with the Grand Opening Pamphlet on it from 1928. Got get it in computer file and post some day. Thanks again for the pic and link.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:05 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,765,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I vaguely remember the drive in on military but do remember the one on bandera, do you remember when it closed?
I read the one on Bandera closed in 1978. On this site below they show an old newspaper article/ photo of them having the aluminum screen.

I find it sad to read about them or seeing pics of them closed and falling apart. That's why I'd like to see the drive-ins that are left all stay alive. But those that can't find the money for digital may well die. I'm one that was perfectly happy with analog TV stations, so I find it sad the change will put people out of work and close relatively inexpensive family attractions.

Drive-ins.com - Drive-In Theater Search

Mud, Great pics of the old theaters. Thanks.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:56 PM

Check this out Mud...

Old 08-21-2013, 09:54 PM

...as promised this is a brochure announcing the 1928 grand opening of the Harlandale Theater.

more to follow.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:57 PM

I've lost the dated page somewhere...

Old 08-22-2013, 08:50 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,424,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I read the one on Bandera closed in 1978. On this site below they show an old newspaper article/ photo of them having the aluminum screen.

I find it sad to read about them or seeing pics of them closed and falling apart. That's why I'd like to see the drive-ins that are left all stay alive. But those that can't find the money for digital may well die. I'm one that was perfectly happy with analog TV stations, so I find it sad the change will put people out of work and close relatively inexpensive family attractions.

Drive-ins.com - Drive-In Theater Search

Mud, Great pics of the old theaters. Thanks.
Yeah the Bandera drive-in was one of my favorites, I remember the San Pedro location which if I recall was next to a handy Dan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or