Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 09:51 PM

457 posts, read 661,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
any relation to Dickie Renfro??
Mud,

I don't know if they are/were related. With a rather unusual last name, it's possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 07:24 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jib288 View Post
Mud,

I came across your thread by trying to find out some history on "Beanville School" which is now Hillcrest Elementary on Malone & S. Flores. I was wondering if you have any information about it. All I could find was that it was built in 1907. I do believe it started as a two room school house. It was renamed "Hillcrest Elementary" in 1919. I really enjoyed your information about the area and the pictures! Awesome!
And, I too am familiar with the Iron Works buildings on Glenn. I always loved those buildings. I can just imagine what kind of stories those walls could tell.

jib
jib, my family here in Texas cut their teeth in BeanVille.

Malone & S. Flores is one block north of my great grandfathers blacksmith shop in the 1910s.

can't help right now on the school,
butt, I will post more info on BeanVille soon..............

Old 01-21-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post

My classmate's name was Bobby Renfro.

Quote:
any relation to Dickie Renfro??
Quote:
Mud,

I don't know if they are/were related.

With a rather unusual last name, it's possible.
Renfro is not that all unusual name here in San Antonio.

anyway, what's the story on Bobby??

we all know Dickie Renfro was slaughtered by Ralph Carl Powers on July 19 1963.

Powers was sentenced to death in the electric chair in 1964..........
FindACaseâ„¢ | RALPH CARL POWERS v. STATE TEXAS (11/03/65)

Old 01-22-2014, 01:33 AM

Quote:

Renfro is not that all unusual name here in San Antonio.

anyway, what's the story on Bobby??

we all know Dickie Renfro was slaughtered by Ralph Carl Powers on July 19 1963.

Powers was sentenced to death in the electric chair in 1964..........
FindACaseâ„¢ | RALPH CARL POWERS v. STATE TEXAS (11/03/65)
As it was related at the time, Bobby Renfro was among a group of teenagers who were gathered
for an unknown reason at a undisclosed location. The details of the gathering, purpose and the exact
sequence of events varied as the story was revealed. The few details that remained constant in the
accounts of the incident were:

One group of youngsters in one vehicle were "playing around" with another group in another vehicle.
A passenger in one vehicle apparently had a shotgun in the seat next to him. Somehow the two
groups, bantering back and forth, arrived at the point where the individual with the shotgun, now laying across his lap, was cajoled to "show us something", whereas Bobby Renfro standing along side the vehicle occupied by the youth with the shotgun, raised a automobile hub cap above his head, admonishing the youth with the shotgun to shoot out of his hand(s). Without aiming the shotgun,
the individual fired the shotgun from the position across his lap, striking Renfro in the head, killing
him instantly. The event received coverage in the local media, yet the details remained unclear.
It was reported as a tragic accident involving a teen-age high school student. As I recall, no other names were cited in the initial reports. The event occurred in 1960, if memory serves.

The general consensus was that it was the equivalent of a group of blustering kids playing a game
of grab a** gone terribly awry. There was little mention of the entire event shortly thereafter. I'm certain those involved never forgot the senseless loss of a youngster in what was obviously a thoughtless, irresponsible act. To the best of my knowledge, no charges were brought against the youngster responsible.

Mud, you have a remarkable ability to access information, perhaps you might find more data
through your resources. I'd be interested in knowing the final outcome.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:12 PM

thanks for the info on Bobby Renfro. RIP.

never heard of that incident. and I cannot find any more about it.

Quote:
As it was related at the time, Bobby Renfro was among a group of teenagers who were gathered
for an unknown reason at a undisclosed location. The details of the gathering, purpose and the exact
sequence of events varied as the story was revealed. The few details that remained constant in the
accounts of the incident were:

One group of youngsters in one vehicle were "playing around" with another group in another vehicle.
A passenger in one vehicle apparently had a shotgun in the seat next to him. Somehow the two
groups, bantering back and forth, arrived at the point where the individual with the shotgun, now laying across his lap, was cajoled to "show us something", whereas Bobby Renfro standing along side the vehicle occupied by the youth with the shotgun, raised a automobile hub cap above his head, admonishing the youth with the shotgun to shoot out of his hand(s). Without aiming the shotgun,
the individual fired the shotgun from the position across his lap, striking Renfro in the head, killing
him instantly. The event received coverage in the local media, yet the details remained unclear.
It was reported as a tragic accident involving a teen-age high school student. As I recall, no other names were cited in the initial reports. The event occurred in 1960, if memory serves.

The general consensus was that it was the equivalent of a group of blustering kids playing a game
of grab a** gone terribly awry. There was little mention of the entire event shortly thereafter. I'm certain those involved never forgot the senseless loss of a youngster in what was obviously a thoughtless, irresponsible act. To the best of my knowledge, no charges were brought against the youngster responsible.

Mud, you have a remarkable ability to access information, perhaps you might find more data
through your resources. I'd be interested in knowing the final outcome.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:51 PM

Mud,

Perhaps the easiest (for someone who has access, sadly, I do not) would be to obtain a school yearbook.
They usually have a dedication of some sort to classmates who died during the class year. Northeast
JR High did when the two classmates were killed in the automobile/plane crash accident. If I remember
correctly (another example of ageing grey matter) the Light had a report of the Bobby Renfro incident.
I don't recall the exact time, but 1960 seems to stand out from the fog ( senior grey matter).

Old 01-24-2014, 08:29 PM

136 posts, read 331,900 times
Basse Bud,
For what it's worth, I did a multi-site search for "Bobbie Renfro", San Antonio, 1960" and got one hit that looks like what you want. It's on the San Antonio Express News archives at UTSA, and the description lists ...charged in Renfro killing....as a snippet of content. Date shows as 6/08/1963.

lib.utexas.edu/taro/utsa/00306/utsa-00306.html

Yer welcome.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:06 PM

437 posts, read 638,834 times
found this on reddit
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...o-downtown.jpg

also a bunch of pics of aztec theater in the 1920s
Aztec Theater 1920's - Imgur

Last edited by elnina; 10-23-2014 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: copyrighted

Old 01-25-2014, 05:54 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
Wow Houston street had people, too bad it will never be like that again.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
Basse Bud,
For what it's worth, I did a multi-site search for "Bobbie Renfro", San Antonio, 1960" and got one hit that looks like what you want. It's on the San Antonio Express News archives at UTSA, and the description lists ...charged in Renfro killing....as a snippet of content. Date shows as 6/08/1963.

lib.utexas.edu/taro/utsa/00306/utsa-00306.html

Yer welcome.
Boss,

Appreciate the link. However it appears this entry is related to the Dickie Renfro murder, as mentioned
in earlier postings. The Bobby Renfro death occurred in late 1959, early 1960. It's doubtful that three
years would elapse if charges were brought in the Bobbie Renfro killing.

Thanks to your research, I'll peruse the UTSA database you noted.

Thanks, Again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio