Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 09:00 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post

after searching for 15 years, finally found a picture of the twins home...........

Reminds me a little of the "Boy Scouts Home" on Broadway close to the park.

Love it...Thanks for sharing...*mud*...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 07:10 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,131,213 times
The Gillespie Mansion is behind the Wal-Mart on Vance Jackson. The mansion is now some sort of a civic center., The property that the Wal-Mart and Dellview marketplace is on was land that the Gillespie's horses were stabled, and grazed on.

The Gillespie's owned a Ford dealership here for many years.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 8,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
The Gillespie Mansion is behind the Wal-Mart on Vance Jackson. The mansion is now some sort of a civic center., The property that the Wal-Mart and Dellview marketplace is on was land that the Gillespie's horses were stabled, and grazed on.

The Gillespie's owned a Ford dealership here for many years.

That's the 1. Thanks!

Old 03-15-2014, 11:23 AM

216 posts, read 398,733 times
We used to rabbit hunt on that property with our pellet guns. We would ride our bikes up Fredricksburg rd. from around Cool Crest and park them under the freeway in those big tunnels that go under IH 10 access road,then walk out the other side and onto the property. I guess we went under IH 10 but I don't remember an access road on the other side when we came out. We only saw that big house from a distance, we didn't want to get caught hunting there.
Years later in the late 70's early 80's I did some work for a man in Sutherland Springs out East of San Antonio. He had a very nice ranch out there and among other things he and his wife raised apes and all kinds of dogs. He had the fanciest dog houses you ever saw. They were all built like tiny houses,not just boxes. The apes actually had a house built in an enclosure where they could roam freely. He told me he had owned that property with the stables and bought the ranch in Sutherland Springs when he had sold it. If I remember correctly, which these days it's getting harder to do, his name was Jergens. He was really a nice fellow and I always enjoyed working at his place when he called.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:42 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,404 times
Quote:
anyone remember and have stories of Jimmy Lytle??

in the interest of having at least one posting every 3 weeks here in GBNF.

back to Jimmy Lytle.

I have several dozen of his personal photos. (some are obviously very poor quality)
first here below, in front of the Klaus (Eisenhower) Rd address mentioned in the ad above

Big Al 1, the 32, the first Allison powered Crosley, etc...

next below, he built speedboats and he raced them at McQueeny.
and the 2nd Allison powered Crosley he built.

the notations are from Jim's hand

next, again, the 2nd Allison powered Crosley he built.

towing his Allison powered tricycle....

also have a few pix of the Allison powered Isetta.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:23 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,389,324 times
Default So? Mud,

How quick is the three-wheeler?

Old 04-10-2014, 06:17 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,404 times
Quote:
Monkey Island was really outtasite

goats and monkeys

the monkeys rode around on the goats backs
(what else ya gonna do when you're a monkey in a zoo??)
(actually I have a lotta more monkey stories)

13th Floor Elevators wrote a song about the island (and yes it was right in the middle of the zoo).

this song came about around this same time period
and, I assume, acid *dabbling*.

no, actually Powell St John wrote it the Elevators took it far far away. into the realm of psychedelia...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwN0PJjkexk
........snapshot from Monkey Island...picking fleas..............
http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/26/66/71.../3/960x540.jpg

Old 04-11-2014, 07:01 AM

501 posts, read 776,322 times
This has probably been mentioned here at some point, but recall that when we moved here in early 80's there was a property on Huebner (between Fdsbg and Babcock) that had zebras, ostriches, and maybe other animals grazing freely and easily visible from the road. What was that all about?

Old 04-11-2014, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,696 times
I remember as a youngster going to my dad's restaurant after school to eat at Paul Marie's which was located at 422 S Zarzamora. There is now a Sonic Drive Inn located there. I lived in the Deco District growing up. Knowlton"s Dairy had an ice cream shop and then Cool Crest, glad it reopened.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:15 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,131,213 times
Paul Marie was opened and operated for many years by some kin of mine named Paul and Marie Seideman. They retired to a ranch in Mico, TX, and passed away in the 1980s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio