U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 05:26 PM

114,158 posts, read 53,920,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Worse than the Tejas Motel capture ( I had forgotten about that arrest completely) was the murder of Judge Wood back in the eighties.
Distinct Irony was there for the part Woody Harrelson played in the movie "No Country for Old Men ", because of the part his dad had in the murder of Judge Wood and also the southwest Texas setting of the film.
The film "There Will be Blood" and "No country for Old Men" were filmed simultaneously near Marfa
and Del Rio and Big Bend. So close by each other were these movies made that the smoke from the oil rig fire of the Daniel Day Lewis film could be seen from the "Old Men" movie set.

"The two Burials of Melquiades Estrada was also a very good film from our vicinity. A Cannes Film Festival award winner. Best Actor and Best Screen play.
I haven't seen those movies but may look into them. Former employer's have a 47,000 acre ranch between Alpine and Marfa. Visited out there when Clinton Manges was running against Ann Richards. Before he stuck his foot in his mouth. Had an open invitation to a big dance at his ranch with Merle haggard singing.

Yeah, always think of John Woods when i see Woody Harrelson. Former employer's dad lived in Chateau Dijon where Woods was killed. I likely walked where it happened years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Was the Corral motel by where Tommy's is it? Been awhile since it was around.

I do remember the Winn's on nogalitos when it was first at what is now an abandon furniture store, then I think in the late 70's it moved next to HEB. You could never go wrong with the popcorn from Winn's.
Yep, close right in there. Don't recall if Tommy's was there back then.

Funny ,...seems almost like I was unaware of other Winn's stores around town until our old S.Flores store closed and moved to Pleasanton and Southcross. Next to the old (former) Piggly Wiggly. Seems like early 70's. Then moved out where the new Biblio-Tech Digital library is. Then they went under.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 05:59 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,400,367 times
Default Good films,

The spectacular scenery alone of South and West Texas, the locations where these movies were filmed, make these films worth watching.
Three Burials film is Tommy Lee Jones directorial debut. Jones is not acting in these films, he seems to be playing himself. I would recommend them both, both good but sometimes grisly.
I too remember the Manges famously stupid political misstep, his quote to women ; " If rape is inevitable, just Lay back and enjoy it". One of the finest Texas political blunders of all time. He blew himself right out of the water with that one comment.

Ann Richards was very shrewd and one of a kind. Contoversial. Unforgettable. I will never forget her reply during a television interview one time when an interviewer asked her opinion on whether or not english should be made our "official" language.

She said- " Well if English was good enough for Jesus Christ then it is good enough for me."
I hated to see her loss to Dubya.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:27 PM

I'll look up those movies as they sound very interesting. Thanks for the recommendation. The scenery alone would make them worth-while viewing.

Manges was lacking many things including respect for women. Ann was a hoot.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:14 PM

1,574 posts, read 3,005,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
The spectacular scenery alone of South and West Texas, the locations where these movies were filmed, make these films worth watching.
Three Burials film is Tommy Lee Jones directorial debut. Jones is not acting in these films, he seems to be playing himself. I would recommend them both, both good but sometimes grisly.
I too remember the Manges famously stupid political misstep, his quote to women ; " If rape is inevitable, just Lay back and enjoy it". One of the finest Texas political blunders of all time. He blew himself right out of the water with that one comment.

Ann Richards was very shrewd and one of a kind. Contoversial. Unforgettable. I will never forget her reply during a television interview one time when an interviewer asked her opinion on whether or not english should be made our "official" language.

She said- " Well if English was good enough for Jesus Christ then it is good enough for me."
I hated to see her loss to Dubya.

It was Clayton Williams who uttered the rape line.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:38 PM

Oh Manges brought the Gunslingers to SA. Now i'm confused. Well it was 30 years or so ago.... I must have had them confused back then.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:44 PM

4,071 posts, read 6,074,207 times
There's a truckload of ginkgo baloba headed your way....

Old 05-18-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
There's a truckload of ginkgo baloba headed your way....
Will it really help? I do remember it was tough getting a room in Alpine (got a manager's room) as he (Manges) invited everyone and their dog apparently. Didn't know, I could have stayed at the employer's ranch or the fact we had invites to the shindig. Bummer!

Old 05-19-2015, 12:29 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,167,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Was the Corral Motel by where Tommy's is it? Beeen
awhile since it was around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Yep, close right in there. Don't recall if Tommy's was there back then.
Funny ,...seems almost like I was unaware of other Winn's stores around town until our old S.Flores store closed and moved to Pleasanton and Southcross. Next to the old (former) Piggly Wiggly. Seems like early 70's. Then moved out where the new Biblio-Tech Digital library is. Then they went under.
Tommy's was there. But it was different owners who served a
different menu than what is offered today.

Winn's stores were very common in the '50s through out San Antonio.
One of the things that stands out is the wood floors & cash registers
that were just for paper money, coins & checks.
Plastic money did not exist.
And only Dick Tracy carried an iphone on his wrist.
In public we had to be satisfied like Superman & use a phone booth

Sommer's Rexall & Walgreen's Pharmacy were everywhere.
These pharmacies made the best ice cream malts in town. No one today can
make them that good anymore.
Not because they don't know how. Mostly because the ingredients are no
longer available.
If anyone knows what "real butter" tasted like back then...you will understand
what I mean.
I have bought different brands of "real butter" today, but they just don't
taste as good.

Last edited by ranchodrive; 05-19-2015 at 12:43 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 06:31 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,400,367 times
Default Really?

I guess your right, yes. I do not remember any more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
It was Clayton Williams who uttered the rape line.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:55 PM

136 posts, read 264,685 times
Rancho Drive is right : "Sommer's Rexall & Walgreen's Pharmacy were everywhere. These pharmacies made the best ice cream malts in town. No one today can make them that good anymore."

Another thing I used to love in the mid 50's was the BBQ sandwiches they made. They'd take a soft roll and cut one side and put to over a steel sleeve that was connected to a hot air blower. It blew hot air into the bun. Then they'd stuff some chopped meat BBQ in the warm pocket along with a squirt of Kraft BBQ sauce and couple of pickle rounds, and serve with a few potato chips or Fritos. The bill, with a cold RC or Coke, was 25 cents. Next best was a Cheese Steak sandwich. A square chopped meat patty cooked in a metal tray by a very early microwave oven, topped with melted Velveta, and served on a square bun, also heated in the microwave. "Cooked by Radar !" the sign said. My Mom was a bowler and there was a Rexall across the street from the Highlands Bowl, and the Cheese Steak was a block from the Texas lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or