U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2016, 05:37 PM

108 posts, read 85,501 times

Advertisements

What about the air shows at Randolph and Kelly. The confederate air force and the recreation of Pearl Harbor and WWII in general. A real Messerschmidt and a real Spitfire. A Wildcat a Hellcat a P47 a P51. There was a Corsair that was carrier based and could fold up the wings automatically. After the show I was really impressed and checked it out on the runway. The pilot was there and I wanted to talk to him. I asked him if he could fold up those wings when the plane was flying . He told me ONLY ONCE!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 06:44 PM

5,621 posts, read 13,045,878 times
Quote:
who's so old that he roomed w/Lincoln
Yer just jealous cause I know important people and you just know.....me. Can't recall how many loads of lumber I took across the Medina Dam. I had an architect up at Medina that we did several houses for back in the 60's and early 70's. Once I had an old International that I had just carried about 18,000 lbs of concrete 8x 8x 16 blocks across and had already dumped them off when I got stopped by the MICO folks. Seems the truck empty was more than the load limit which was 5000lbs according to the MICO guy. Had he been there an hour earlier he would have seen about 25,000 lbs go across the dam. I had to take the LONG route from then on as they were watching a lot closer. They even hassled me about my Ford pickup and it wasn't even loaded. For a 2 ton truck that turned the round trip from 3 hours to all day.

Had lots of fun at Medina Lake. We had a place, a mobile home at Bluebill Cove. We had a guy across the cove that had a ski jump and a fabulous old Chris Craft ski boat made from Mahogany. His name was Maxy. My dad actually bought a Chris Craft kit boat and we built it in the garage. He used Mahogany on the top sides and interior. It was a 14footer. He first put a 22HP Buccaneer engine it and later put a Gale 35. Then it was a slick bottom Javelin boat with a then huge Gale 60 that I worked over. That little V4 was making about 130hp when I got thru with it. On that 14ft Javelin it would fly. Then it was a Brunswick Cutter with twin Gale 60s that I reworked. Close to 200 horses on the back. Wasn't much that would stay with the 18ft Cutter. Acceleration was so intense if you were sitting in the back facing seat, at full throttle you were looking for anything to hold onto as a number had the boat run out from under them- out the back they went!. When they had the B Boat races at Reds Cove, we ran the 22 Buccaneer on a 12 ft Yellow Jacket boat. They were the hot rod back then. For a 22hp boat and motor to run in the mid 40's, well, back then it flying. Probably the best was a bud of my dad brought his full 3 point hydroplane up there. It had a 389 Pontiac engine with 6 dueces on it. They proceeded to have one too many at Rudes and I was tossed the keys to take back to our dock. I was also told not to go full throttle on it....yeah, like that was a waste of words. No sooner got around the point and had the boat lined up with the main part of the lake and I went hammer down on it! Was exciting for a few seconds and then I learned why not to go full throttle- the throttle cable would jam. So here I am going across Medina Lake, a screaming 389 Pontiac engine with 3 dueces sounding like a vacuum cleaner, and I'm reaching behind me trying to make the thing turn loose. I went passed Fauries so fast I didn't see it. I was approaching the river about the time I got it shut down. You couldn't have gotten the smile off of my face with a Peterbilt. Yeah, Medina Lake was a fun time for me. LOTS of stories about the times up there.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:39 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,431,784 times
Default Unbelievable,

I can scarcely believe that Abe Lincoln attended SAC along with Trapper. I am just not seeing it.
Post a picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Yeah, sorry - didn't think of timeline when I initially posted, then your comment got me to thinking on it. Unlike Trapper (who's so old that he roomed w/Lincoln in college), most of my history is within the last 50 years.......

Old 08-17-2016, 10:53 PM

6,276 posts, read 9,043,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
I can scarcely believe that Abe Lincoln attended SAC along with Trapper. I am just not seeing it.
Post a picture.
I would be happy to - but Trapper broke the blasted camera!!!

Old 08-18-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
I would be happy to - but Trapper broke the blasted camera!!
Be careful or I'll tell everybody about you and the chicken!

Old 08-18-2016, 05:36 AM

6,276 posts, read 9,043,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Be careful or I'll tell everybody about you and the chicken!
Hey - it SAID it was of age!

Old 08-18-2016, 03:24 PM

114,171 posts, read 54,213,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USBrelands View Post
Remember the Flying Corner store at Hwy 90 and Loop 13. And Haby's store further west on Hwy 90. This is in the early 1950's timeframe.
Assuming this is pre loop 410 days. Haby's Bakery may still be open in Castroville.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:16 PM

Haby's in Castroville is alive and well. I go by there at least twice a month, stop in for some of their molasses cookies. The wife loves them. Before diabetes, their cinnamon rolls were some of the best in Texas. We usually buy their rye bread too. But you have to get there early or they may be sold out of what you're looking for. It's a busy place.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:47 AM

114,171 posts, read 54,213,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Haby's in Castroville is alive and well. I go by there at least twice a month, stop in for some of their molasses cookies. The wife loves them. Before diabetes, their cinnamon rolls were some of the best in Texas. We usually buy their rye bread too. But you have to get there early or they may be sold out of what you're looking for. It's a busy place.
Good to hear! Been a while since we've been out that way. Rye bread is getting a little hard to find lately too.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:41 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,431,784 times
Default Bakeries in Castroville,

Anybody here remember patronizing the drive-thru beer store in Castroville?
Long time friend and I used to ride out to D'Hanis to collect seasoned Mesquite wood for Bar-b-ques once a year, every fall in a pickup truck. So, after the exhausting job of cutting the wood into 2 ft. lengths with chain saws and then tossing the wood in the truck bed we would always stop by on the way back to town.
I think this store is still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or