U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 09:50 PM

457 posts, read 466,406 times

Advertisements

Interesting conversation. Comparing pre-1960 San Antonio to today is like comparing a washing machine to a bulldozer!
Apples and Oranges. Depending on the topic, there are as many pluses as minuses. Wider use of air conditioning is high in everyone's book. The odor of the river downtown in the summertime certainly in the minus column!

Social issues and debates are all over the board, whereas in earlier times there were fewer social issues discussed in
civil, mixed (your choice of mix) society. ( beyond discussion here, merely mentioning the fewer number of openly debated issues... like the city council repealing the city ordnance regarding dogs riding on the running boards of cars! )

As I no longer reside in S.A. I must defer to you current residents regarding this topic. However, I will ad that earlier times, whether good or bad, were certainly simpler times, and as we were all much younger (well, some of us anyway!)
the contemporary topics were more centered on who got to use the family car on Saturday night! Yeah, much simpler in the old days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 12:28 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,185,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
Interesting conversation. Comparing pre-1960 San Antonio to today is like comparing a washing machine to a bulldozer!
Apples and Oranges. Depending on the topic, there are as many pluses as minuses. Wider use of air conditioning is high in everyone's book. The odor of the river downtown in the summertime certainly in the minus column!

Social issues and debates are all over the board, whereas in earlier times there were fewer social issues discussed in
civil, mixed (your choice of mix) society. ( beyond discussion here, merely mentioning the fewer number of openly debated issues... like the city council repealing the city ordnance regarding dogs riding on the running boards of cars! )

As I no longer reside in S.A. I must defer to you current residents regarding this topic. However, I will ad that earlier times, whether good or bad, were certainly simpler times, and as we were all much younger (well, some of us anyway!)
the contemporary topics were more centered on who got to use the family car on Saturday night! Yeah, much simpler in the old days.
Being the oldest of the kids, I got first choice to use the í57 Chevrolet Bel Air
to go to the Kelly Drive-In on Saturday nights.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:19 PM

263 posts, read 368,672 times
Default Drive-Ins

Rancho Drive, how you been? Have you been to Stars & Stripes Drive-in in New Braunfels? I haven't yet been I here its really nice. Fellow employees have been out there and they enjoyed it, and brought
back memories.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:39 PM

Rancho,

Bet you wish you still had that Chevy, huh?

Old 05-10-2017, 10:42 PM

Default The Alamo Compound

I'd like to hear opinions about what you think ,pro or con. I had posted sometime back that the compound
should be brought to as close as the original state. I work in the transportation business and have been asked many times by visitors, "Is this it?". Trying to explain where the originals wall's were in place at the time to visitors was hard for them to imagine, if they had not yet seen the over-view on display.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:07 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,436,260 times
Default Surely Albert, my acquaintance of fifty years,

At worse- the traffic flow will worsen a little I guess.
At best the restoration will be good for the old Spanish Mission and I hope it is done like Mission San Jose
though the serenity one feels while on the grounds of San Jose won't be there. The moving of the Cenotaph is appropriate for a restoration because the modernity would look out of place.
At the very least it will eliminate the circus atmosphere of the tourist traps out front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert soliz View Post
I'd like to hear opinions about what you think ,pro or con. I had posted sometime back that the compound
should be brought to as close as the original state. I work in the transportation business and have been asked many times by visitors, "Is this it?". Trying to explain where the originals wall's were in place at the time to visitors was hard for them to imagine, if they had not yet seen the over-view on display.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Albert,
By compound, is that the area where the fighting took place?

Based on the model display, it looks like the primary battle was across where
the shops are now standing on Alamo street and also the post office building.
Not sure if it’s still a post office, FBI offices or something else today.

Based on the way the Alamo is found today, the walls around and towards
the rear of the chapel gives a misleading interpretation that those walls
were there in 1836.

I met the relatives of David Crockett who visited the place in 1986 Texas
Sesquicentennial ceremony. It was interesting talking with them.

Some folks from out of town think of the Alamo looking like it has been
portrayed in the movies out in the country and are very surprised that
it is surrounded by modern buildings.

Last edited by ranchodrive; 05-11-2017 at 12:37 PM..

Old 05-11-2017, 08:59 PM

I think most will agree, the common concept of the Alamo and the surrounding area is the result of Hollywood, not any
factual historical record(s).

Any restoration should reflect the factual record, and exclude the PC BS that surrounds many historical sites today. Fortunately, San Antonio has avoided those issues so far, however, one must be prepared to defend the truth from the political "revisionist".

Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:22 PM

Default Alamo barricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
Albert,
By compound, is that the area where the fighting took place?

Based on the model display, it looks like the primary battle was across where
the shops are now standing on Alamo street and also the post office building.
Not sure if itís still a post office, FBI offices or something else today.

Based on the way the Alamo is found today, the walls around and towards
the rear of the chapel gives a misleading interpretation that those walls
were there in 1836.

I met the relatives of David Crockett who visited the place in 1986 Texas
Sesquicentennial ceremony. It was interesting talking with them.

Some folks from out of town think of the Alamo looking like it has been
portrayed in the movies out in the country and are very surprised that
it is surrounded by modern buildings.
Yup ,your correct, most of the battle took place all around on and off the barrack walls. I wonder if they'll build them as close as authentic. Would be great if they could get all the plans from the producers
of the 2003/4 Alamo movie. they actually built a scale replica of San Antonio De Bexar.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Yup ,your correct, most of the battle took place all around on and off the barrack walls. I wonder if they'll build them as close as authentic. Would be great if they could get all the plans from the producers
of the 2003/4 Alamo movie. they actually built a scale replica of San Antonio De Bexar.
Alamo 1836
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or