U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 09:24 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,349,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
GW you are awesome like the pic, I am not sure when it became Penn Foods. I think Cedrics was where Capparelli's was, and i think after Cedrics it was Ninfa's.
Wasn't Ninfas across the street? It was in a structure that started as a Karem's restaurant, then became a Ninfas, then was torn down to build the Victoria, now KCI, tower?

Where was the Capparelli's? I remember a Fratelli's taking over the space vacated by the Pioneer House.

Here's a picture I posted back in the original GBNFSA:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...-northside.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 09:48 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,184,382 times
Here's one for you. Let's see how far back your memory can be stretched. Does anyone remember the fast food restaurant GW Jr's? Seems like they were always right next door to Church's chicken. There was one on Wurzbach by I-10 back in the 80's.

What's the story on that?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:07 AM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,025,919 times
GW Jr's was owned by Church's

Remember 3 Bears Hamburgers? Believe they were owned by the McCreless family

First Mate? Owned by Ray Ellison, I believe...or maybe a partner/investor

There was also 2-3 burger places started by the family that owns Little Red Barn...Can't think of the name of it, but their claim to fame(albeit short lived) was that they served steakburgers..

Old 12-16-2009, 10:14 AM

237 posts, read 702,563 times
Default Hill Top & others

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
There was another mountain top on the way to Medina Lake on Hiway 16, .....
I realize that the discussion has moved on but hope y'all won't mind if I chime in regarding hill top joints. Another really well known place was the old Silver Spur atop the bluff, above the Medina River overlooking Bandera way back when. Like others mentioned earlier it was a roadhouse/nightclub with cottages for those honky-tonkers wanting to crash on site. The Silver Spur burned down in the mid 1960s but some ruins remain. Hill Top mentioned before out near Camp Bullis was still being used as cheap housing into the early 1970s if memory serves. I was there only once when a cousin lived in one old rock cottage about 1972 or so.
The Silver Spur was also famous for the many top name bands that played there over the years and was especially busy during WW II. It became the unofficial home to hundreds of Air Cadets cycling through Kelly and Brooks Fields back then. There's a high dollar B&B there now using the same name and capitalizing on the history of the original but with nothing in common other than location. Here's a small view of what remains of the first Silver Spur beer joint/dance hall above Bandera. I have faint recall of it back when my grandparents had a place near Bandera. My mom & dad loved to have a few beers and dance back when dragging kids along to beer joint/dance halls was still ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-silverspur.jpg  

Old 12-16-2009, 10:17 AM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,025,919 times
My parents used to go to Floore's country Store on the way back from a weekend at Medina Lake. They would leave all the kids in the car in the parking lot. Can't imagine that happening today....

Old 12-16-2009, 10:25 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,187,960 times
I used to love GW Jr's

Old 12-16-2009, 11:57 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,184,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
I realize that the discussion has moved on but hope y'all won't mind if I chime in regarding hill top joints. Another really well known place was the old Silver Spur atop the bluff, above the Medina River overlooking Bandera way back when.
Hey BudB I was just driving up there a few weeks ago. I think there is now a yoga studio or something like that up there. Looks like they redid some of those tiny cabins. The bridge over the river is relatively new, also. Old one used to wash over when it rained heavily.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:16 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,349,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Here's one for you. Let's see how far back your memory can be stretched. Does anyone remember the fast food restaurant GW Jr's? Seems like they were always right next door to Church's chicken. There was one on Wurzbach by I-10 back in the 80's.

What's the story on that?
If you do a search on the original Gone But Not Forgoten in San Antonio thread, you will see several posts detailing the entire history of GW Jr's. It was an attempt by Church's to break into the burger chain market. They sold burgers and hot dogs. It lasted about 4 years but never really made much of a profit.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:38 PM

114,169 posts, read 54,166,826 times
My father played guitar. He and a buddy that played music together built a two story house boat on Medina before it dried up. Somewhere around 60'. They could have played music in any of these places. I went to Medina Lake this year ...hadn't been since 72'.
Church's builds or prefabs their buildings and Kitchens at their factory off I-10 near Cross Roads Mall. I've been there to work on a laser cutter for stainless steel. GW Jr's I liked too. Bacon avocado burgers!! I remember little Silver Dollar burgers for 50 cents towards the end. Gimmick.. last ditch effort to boost sales I suppose. Three Bears we discussed in GBNF 1 . We had one near McCreless Mall off Southcross Blvd. May have still been Dauchy Road at that time. Actually, I think name changes were complete and it was already Southcross. Mid 70's I think. I liked them and someone had a flier I think from Three Bears in GBNF! Many GW Jr Buildings are still being used for other businesses.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:51 PM

3,930 posts, read 4,701,054 times
We used to love GW Jr's! I never could understand why they disappeared. And Church's, which I never liked that much, is still going now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or