U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-17-2009, 10:20 PM
 
2,356 posts, read 5,420,208 times
Reputation: 631

Advertisements

I think GW was around for me than 4 years if I am correct.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-18-2009, 02:36 AM
 
Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
845 posts, read 1,383,204 times
Reputation: 1370
Smile Joe Alston a.k.a. Captain Gus

This name "Joe Alston" has been mentioned before on this thread: Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II; and on this thread: Were You Here In The 70's?

I remember him as Captain Gus a show that appeared on KENS TV 5 during the 1970's. I happen to find this interesting website dedicated to Captain Gus, written by Dennis Dupriest, the ex-Mortimer from the Captain Gus show. Thought I would share it with any ex-Captain Gus fans out there........."CLASS OF 1970 BLAST FROM THE PAST"

As a kid I wondered why his show was cancelled, now I know the story behind the end of the Captain Gus show.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2009, 10:08 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,885 posts, read 4,348,051 times
Reputation: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I think GW was around for me than 4 years if I am correct.
I stand corrected.

From the Texas online handbook:

"G.W. Jrs. franchising began in 1976.......Sixty-two Texas hamburger shops were in operation by 1982, but the hamburger business was discontinued in 1985."

I was only 6 in '76, so I don't recall ever noticing the place untill about '79 or '80.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2009, 12:51 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,169 posts, read 54,151,441 times
Reputation: 163266
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykat13 View Post
This name "Joe Alston" has been mentioned before on this thread: Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II; and on this thread: Were You Here In The 70's?

I remember him as Captain Gus a show that appeared on KENS TV 5 during the 1970's. I happen to find this interesting website dedicated to Captain Gus, written by Dennis Dupriest, the ex-Mortimer from the Captain Gus show. Thought I would share it with any ex-Captain Gus fans out there........."CLASS OF 1970 BLAST FROM THE PAST"

As a kid I wondered why his show was cancelled, now I know the story behind the end of the Captain Gus show.
I've mentioned before that I saw the old Props for "Cap't Gus" show back in the late 80's or early 90's. We were doing some work at Kens new studios and walked through a studio. There in front of my eyes the boat ..just flat plywood slid between some other props. Wow! Yep ..Cap't Gus and Shock..Project Terror!! Joe Alston was a fine guy I'm sure! Thanks for the great link.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2009, 02:01 PM
 
Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
845 posts, read 1,383,204 times
Reputation: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I've mentioned before that I saw the old Props for "Cap't Gus" show back in the late 80's or early 90's. We were doing some work at Kens new studios and walked through a studio. There in front of my eyes the boat ..just flat plywood slid between some other props. Wow! Yep ..Cap't Gus and Shock..Project Terror!! Joe Alston was a fine guy I'm sure! Thanks for the great link.

You're Welcome!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2009, 03:47 PM
 
Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
845 posts, read 1,383,204 times
Reputation: 1370
The following link tells a brief history of the connection between Church's and GW Jr.'s.........Church's Chicken: Information from Answers.com
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2009, 10:03 PM
 
2,356 posts, read 5,420,208 times
Reputation: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I've mentioned before that I saw the old Props for "Cap't Gus" show back in the late 80's or early 90's. We were doing some work at Kens new studios and walked through a studio. There in front of my eyes the boat ..just flat plywood slid between some other props. Wow! Yep ..Cap't Gus and Shock..Project Terror!! Joe Alston was a fine guy I'm sure! Thanks for the great link.
I heard from Dennis Dupree (Mortimer) that after the show went off the air they donated the boat to a daycare and it rotted. Just wondering if there was more than one then?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2009, 12:02 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,885 posts, read 4,348,051 times
Reputation: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I heard from Dennis Dupree (Mortimer) that after the show went off the air they donated the boat to a daycare and it rotted. Just wondering if there was more than one then?
I heard the same thing, so I am curious, too!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2009, 01:21 AM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,169 posts, read 54,151,441 times
Reputation: 163266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I heard from Dennis Dupree (Mortimer) that after the show went off the air they donated the boat to a daycare and it rotted. Just wondering if there was more than one then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I heard the same thing, so I am curious, too!
Don't know how we could find out. The weather guy that lost his job for plagiarizing was still there. I recognized the boat ...no question it was the same boat or a replica. Not unreasonable to think they'd be more than one prop. I thought it strange too, not being the same studios.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2009, 06:16 PM
 
Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,076,436 times
Reputation: 511
I was hoping someone else would chime in on the Capt. Gus stuff but I guess they are all getting ready for Christmas ( I am too!). He had at least a couple of ships over the years. I remember the early ones with him sitting next to a smoke stake and a "Wishing Well". I remember when he would wear a Navy Pea Coat! The "Wishing Well" was cool because he would give toy's away to kid's who would send in a card from some business that provided them. Most of the companies are long gone. Alwais Toy Box, Kiddie City, Dibble's Hobbies--Stanzel Planes--Wheel-o's --Slinkies!! At first they had a small audience of kids but it grew because so many kids wanted to be on the show. I think they had to get a smaller ship to make room for more kids!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top