U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2009, 07:06 PM

15,926 posts, read 7,179,673 times

Advertisements

Ha........I remember Capt. Gus fondly. I loved watching the show after school. I also remember the show where the little boy was laughing so hard. It cracked my Mom & I up when the kid told the Capt. it was because his cousin was farting. LoL!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 07:40 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,077,390 times
All my brothers and sister were on that show..I was too old by then but I remember watching them all!

Old 12-19-2009, 08:13 PM

59 posts, read 165,725 times
Here is a picture of me on the Captain Gus set during a show. It just happens to be in front of the ship...
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-capt-gus.jpg  

Last edited by 1313; 12-19-2009 at 08:23 PM..

Old 12-19-2009, 09:47 PM

114,170 posts, read 54,184,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I was hoping someone else would chime in on the Capt. Gus stuff but I guess they are all getting ready for Christmas ( I am too!). He had at least a couple of ships over the years. I remember the early ones with him sitting next to a smoke stake and a "Wishing Well". I remember when he would wear a Navy Pea Coat! The "Wishing Well" was cool because he would give toy's away to kid's who would send in a card from some business that provided them. Most of the companies are long gone. Alwais Toy Box, Kiddie City, Dibble's Hobbies--Stanzel Planes--Wheel-o's --Slinkies!! At first they had a small audience of kids but it grew because so many kids wanted to be on the show. I think they had to get a smaller ship to make room for more kids!
I probably saw as much Capt' Gus on tv as anyone. Never in person as far as i know. You guys all have such vivid memories...mine aren't so good. I didn't remember Mortimer showing up on occasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
Here is a picture of me on the Captain Gus set during a show. It just happens to be in front of the ship...
Yep, don't recognize it in color. One i saw was all or mostly white as I recall. I couldn't have saved a photo like that 5 years much less as long as you all do.
Great memorabilia.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:57 PM

59 posts, read 165,725 times
Here is one more Captain Gus pic.. this was at the Whataburger that used to be on Mccoullough near Rector in March of 1971.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-capt-gus-2.jpg  

Old 12-20-2009, 10:45 PM

1,588 posts, read 3,030,049 times
Does anyone remember old gas stations that were around town, but are now gone? We always had major oil companies like Humble/Enco/Exxon, Texaco, Phillips 66, etc, but there were quite a few independents too. I remember Indian Oil Company, Hancoock, and Key gas stations at quite a few locations, Deep Rock on SW Military, and Hudson Of Delaware, and Martin on San Pedro. Remember when Sears sold gas? I bought gas at Sears Central Park for 18.9 on numerous occasions! I sure miss gas wars!

Old 12-20-2009, 11:17 PM

114,170 posts, read 54,184,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Does anyone remember old gas stations that were around town, but are now gone? We always had major oil companies like Humble/Enco/Exxon, Texaco, Phillips 66, etc, but there were quite a few independents too. I remember Indian Oil Company, Hancoock, and Key gas stations at quite a few locations, Deep Rock on SW Military, and Hudson Of Delaware, and Martin on San Pedro. Remember when Sears sold gas? I bought gas at Sears Central Park for 18.9 on numerous occasions! I sure miss gas wars!
Sure do!! All in bold of course. Also Conoco and Fina. "Deep Rock" on SW Military?? Don't know of that one. Sigmor Shamrock far back as i remember. We had one at each end of our street in 50's and early 60's. Prices 13 -14- or 16 -17 cents a gallon. Something like that. American was another. Fed-Mart had their 100 Octane cheap. That's what it took to power my screamin' demon Camaro in early 70's. Sears gas stations were pretty nice back then. Let's hope gas wars return some day.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:31 PM

1,588 posts, read 3,030,049 times
There were a few Koch stations, and a few Premier stations for a few years. I liked the Premier stations because they had outside car lifts they rented for 50 cents an hour. Billups was another station I haven't seen for a while.

There were Gulf stations everywhere, but they got taken over by Chevron. There are still Gulf stations in the eastern part of the US.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:14 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,185,598 times
I remember some of those, and I also remember when we used to have 7-11 stores.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:36 PM

237 posts, read 702,699 times
Default Sinclair & Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Does anyone remember old gas stations that were around town, but are now gone? I sure miss gas wars!
Our old Denver Heights neighborhood had a Sinclair Station at Porter and S. New Braunfels for many years. It was next door to an original Lone Star Ice House that caught fire about 1958 or so. Wow what a wicked blaze that was once the refrigeration plant began burning. It put billows of dark, toxic yellowish clouds of ammoniated smoke into the air for hours that afternoon. The Sinclair Station was busy until the late 1960s when Self Serve came along and gas stations as we Baby Boomers recall them began to disappear all over town. My grandfather drove trucks for Humble Oil for nearly 35 years finally retiring in 1952. I was raised from age five by my grandparents so was his "co-driver" for his last year before I started first grade. Humble gave him a red & white 1949 Chevy pickup to drive around to visit many of the Humble stations delivering parts, new tires, and other items and picking up extra cash on hand for bank deposits, etc. I had a great time riding with him that year, getting candy and soda-pops from the various garagemen at each service station. Starting school seemed unfair to me since I already had a good job. Here's a foto of the Humble station my dad ran for a couple years after high school and before WW II. It was located at the corners of S. New Braunfels & Hedges streets across from the old "Colored Cemetery" but disappeared long ago.
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-browns-humble.jpg

ps; Sometimes the old Sinclair stations offered an inflatable green dinosaur pool toy based on their logo which was a green brontosaurus.

Last edited by BudB; 12-21-2009 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: fix typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or