U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-02-2010, 01:36 AM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,170 posts, read 54,198,892 times
Reputation: 163296

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Could this be the website?
Google Image Result for http://img.geocaching.com/cache/2478eda6-ded4-41fa-a47a-756cfc1319e7.jpg

It's mostly old gas stations and some real beauties too.
I'm not sure if I've seen that site Bud. Some real beauties in there though. I did go to some that were just stations, probably. But, I was speaking of some that were strictly bus company memorabilia. Full of lists with click on's to great photos of buses and locations dating way back. Lots of good train stuff out there too!! If I find them anytime soon I'll post a link. Thanks for the link. Happy New Year to fellow GBNF posters!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2010, 07:47 AM
 
35 posts, read 97,288 times
Reputation: 20
I remember Handy Andy being involved in "Let's go to the Races". They would pre-watch the shows then make the tickets with just a few winners. Circa late 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Austin, Tx.
237 posts, read 702,808 times
Reputation: 155
Default Greyhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
But, I was speaking of some that were strictly bus company memorabilia. Full of lists with click on's to great photos of buses and locations dating way back.
I hope you find the site again as it seems interesting. While on the subject here are a couple of early to mid 1960s postcard views of San Antonio's longtime Greyhound station at 500 N. St. Mary's. I'll not wax overly sentimental here about the old place but am pleased to see that the same building serves its many passengers at the same location now for over 50 years. By today's standards that's cool in my book altho if I never need to ride another passenger bus it'll be ok with me. At 6 feet/200 pounds the seats are probably no more comfortable now than before. Airliners are no better but the trip is usually quicker. Anyhow, Greyhound's presence downtown seems secure amongst the more modern highrisers and except for a repaint and a lack of neat, old neon signage, its terminal labors on.
Happy trails to them and you, Bud
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-greyhound-station-1964.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-greyhound-night.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 02:09 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,170 posts, read 54,198,892 times
Reputation: 163296
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
I hope you find the site again as it seems interesting. While on the subject here are a couple of early to mid 1960s postcard views of San Antonio's longtime Greyhound station at 500 N. St. Mary's. I'll not wax overly sentimental here about the old place but am pleased to see that the same building serves its many passengers at the same location now for over 50 years. By today's standards that's cool in my book altho if I never need to ride another passenger bus it'll be ok with me. At 6 feet/200 pounds the seats are probably no more comfortable now than before. Airliners are no better but the trip is usually quicker. Anyhow, Greyhound's presence downtown seems secure amongst the more modern highrisers and except for a repaint and a lack of neat, old neon signage, its terminal labors on.
Happy trails to them and you, Bud
Nice postcards Bud! Looks like the one in Amarillo may be identical. I remember the smell of the exhaust in the boarding area. The thrill of getting to ride in a double decker when I was a child. I think we took the bus to Miami and/or a train when I was a kid. Then a plane over to the Bahamas to visit family. Here's a link with lots of good photos. Could be one I found back couple years ago. Haven't looked it over to see if it shows stops, stations, terminals and such. If i find another I'll post it as well.
................................ Bus memorabilia

Btw, I knew the guy who ran the Trailways here in it's last several years anyway. Lived next street over from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 03:23 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,170 posts, read 54,198,892 times
Reputation: 163296
Here's a Greyhound link!!


More Bus memorabilia!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 04:22 PM
 
4,796 posts, read 13,741,857 times
Reputation: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
altho if I never need to ride another passenger bus it'll be ok with me.
Hey Budb! Nice to see you. I think I was traumatized as a teenager riding a Greyhound to Del Rio to see my best friend! Her dad was transferred to the AFB there. That was the longest ride of my life.....and even longer coming back. There was some weird and creepy stuff on that bus ride from a 15 year old POV in the 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Austin, Tx.
237 posts, read 702,808 times
Reputation: 155
Default bus weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
That was the longest ride of my life.....and even longer coming back. There was some weird and creepy stuff on that bus ride from a 15 year old POV in the 70's.
Amen to that Catgal as riding more than about 50 miles was torture for me and weirdness hardly describes some of those trips. Most memorable surely was the time I sat next to a tipsy Jesuit priest going home to Chicago for Christmas vacation after serving several years as the chaplain at a Devils Island type penal colony somewhere way south of the border. As soon as I sat down and had exchanged hellos, he offered me a pull off a hip flask of brandy and a cigar, both declined as I was a very pure 18 year college kid. He then proceeded to tell me about his various chores around the prison, most colorful of which were the occasional hangings. That sincerely drunken gentleman's descriptions of what the human body does when having its neck stretched has staid with me for over 40 years. Fortunately for me the ride was only from SA to Austin so a brief one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Austin, Tx.
237 posts, read 702,808 times
Reputation: 155
Thumbs up gooodstuff

[quote=satx56;12280159]Here's a Greyhound link!!


Goodstuff buddy, thanks a bunch and then some! Did you notice the old Checker Cab in the daytime postcard and the dude sneakin' a smoke of who knows what around the corner of the terminal? And that's the Robert E. Lee Hotel in front years before its demolition. Dang it I love old postcards!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 05:59 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,170 posts, read 54,198,892 times
Reputation: 163296
Quote:
Goodstuff buddy, thanks a bunch and then some! Did you notice the old Checker Cab in the daytime postcard and the dude sneakin' a smoke of who knows what around the corner of the terminal? And that's the Robert E. Lee Hotel in front years before its demolition. Dang it I love old postcards!!
Ha! Yep looks like a 59' or 60' Chevy Cab. The other photo looks like a early 50's Chevy then a Studebaker and a 49' or 50' Ford art the end. I'd forgotten where the old Robert E. Lee was. Think it's a park now with the Gunter(?) just south of it. Funny you mention the Robert E. Lee as this was my friends name that was running Trailways in it's last years here. I remember as a kid directly across the street on the west of the terminal was "The Green Door". If I recall correctly it was a strip or burlesque club. Kids talked about it ... I never went there just knew of it.
Back in the early 60's a friends dad was the librarian at Trinity University. He had a 49' ford Charcoal black ...ugly car. He took us to Trinity and we went up in the Bell Tower. If you slammed the door the slightest bit he gave you the evil eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 06:10 PM
 
Location: the 50s and the 60s
834 posts, read 1,799,868 times
Reputation: 1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
.

.

And that's the Robert E. Lee Hotel in front years before its demolition.

Dang it I love old postcards!!
.
.
Bud I believe that would be the BlueBonnet Hotel.

The Robert E. Lee stands, to this day, two blocks West and one block South.

mud
.
.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top