U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-03-2010, 08:01 PM

4,018 posts, read 4,525,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector28 View Post
TR - we lived in Glen Oaks, in the older section when that fighter crashed but moved to the newer part closer to Wurzbach while I was in HS. I was at John Marshall HS from 1962-1966. In the seventies and eighties I was back in the area again, rented a duplex near Poss & Evers for awhile, then bought a home in Twin Creek off of Grissom before Ingram Mall was built.

Was your hardware store THE hardware store in LV? I can't remember the name but IT had everything - if you looked long enough. Loved just browsing through that place, bought a lot, too, I might add, for the house in Twin Creek.
Yeah, that was ours - "Mandry General Hardware & Supply". Right across Bandera from Poss Road, next to "Paula's Cafe". Never forget - 6 burgers for a buck. We lived on Sawyer Road - folks bought a place in Bandera and I went in the Navy. Got back, lived behind Texas Star Inn for a while, then bought a place over on the west side. Sold it a few years later, and spent the next 20 years in Timberhill, Silver Creek and Braun Station homes. Then over to the NE side of San Antonio, and finally to New Braunfels back in '04.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 08:24 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,329,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Got back, lived behind Texas Star Inn for a while
I remember Texas Star Inn waaay back ... way before it became "Grady's BBQ"......... getting old.... but it's a good thing.

The old store in Hunt, TX is still the old store in Hunt, though. Gotta travel to get to the good stuff.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:58 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
855 posts, read 1,306,748 times
I lived back behind the Texas Star Inn in the late eighties. Just before it became Grady's. I liked it better as Grady's because I would always get a six pack on my way home from work and an order of ribs was great with the beer. Paper routes---When I was going to San Pedro High (SAC) I got a job throwing the Northside Recorder. I had a VW bug and I took all the seats out. I would get the papers and take them home. 2700 of them! I got a penny a paper to throw them--27 dollars a week. We got a little more money for putting them in the plastic bags. I remember watching the Sonny and Cher Show and rolling up newspapers. Family members helped. The bug would be full by about two or three in the morning--full to the very tip top. We did the Jefferson Village area. My younger brother would toss out one side and I would do the other. I paid him ten bucks. I knew guy's who would do the "Southside Recorder" as well as the "Northside Recorder" and could make over a hundred dollars a week--not bad for 1973!

Old 03-03-2010, 09:46 PM

Ah, the old Northside Recorder...I was a stringer for 'em in the late 70's, covered Leon Valley. Managed to tick the mayor off a time or two....<SEG>

Old 03-04-2010, 09:33 AM

126 posts, read 162,137 times
[quote=BudB;13136492][quote=Boss Rider;13131948]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Man if I had a nickle for every tamale I ate at the Neighborhood ..."

I'm wondering if Reuben's are still the same.

As for your paper routes, can we assume that you were not doing seven of them on bikes?
Several people mentioned when I was there last month that Ruben's were somehow different now. Living a couple of thousand miles from the nearest tamale factory, I experimented with on-line places and have found the Texas Tamale Warehouse in Ft. Worth to be pretty good.

The Texas Tamale Warehouse - Homemade Tamales ~ Mexican Tamales ~ Texas Tamales!

The paper routes (The Light) were thrown out the back of a huge '54 Pontiac station wagon which his mother owned. The routes amounted to almost 400 papers and we pretty well filled it up. She'd get the papers and roll them during the day when Ron and I were in school, and we'd throw them after school. I didn't get paid, just helping out a friend, but it was kinda fun, we met a lot of nice people, and we had some interesting 'adventures' on the side as well.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:33 AM

173 posts, read 248,944 times
What a fun place. What became of it?
Quote:
Yeah, that was ours - "Mandry General Hardware & Supply".

Timberhill was the central street in Twin Creek subdivision off of Grissom and where I bought my first home. Did/do we have a Timberhill subdivision too?
Quote:
......, and spent the next 20 years in Timberhill, Silver Creek and Braun Station homes. Then over to the NE side of San Antonio, and finally to New Braunfels back in '04.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:05 AM

7 posts, read 6,146 times
I had a dream I was living back in SA. I was grinning from ear to ear, then I thought I need to find job and awoke remembering why I got out of there.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:23 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,397,222 times
[quote=BudB;13136492][quote=Boss Rider;13131948]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Man if I had a nickle for every tamale I ate at the Neighborhood ..."

Thanks Boss and those were damn good tamales at less than a buck a dozen if memory serves. Can;t recall the brand but for mass produced tamales they were ok. Not Reuben's tamales for sure but I'm wondering if Reuben's are still the same. Last couple times back around Christmas, they seemed different somehow but maybe it's just me.
As for your paper routes, can we assume that you were not doing seven of them on bikes?
Lone Star Ice and Food Stores sold Patio tamales for 25 cents for 1/2 dozen when I was a kid in the late 50s and early 60s. That was a good lunch for me! They kept them hot in roaster ovens.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector28 View Post
What a fun place. What became of it?

Timberhill was the central street in Twin Creek subdivision off of Grissom and where I bought my first home. Did/do we have a Timberhill subdivision too?

Dad sold it when I went in the Navy. The Allen's bought it, but not the property, and relocated several times afterwards. A place like that, you don't want to move around too much, and they finally shut down. It was a shame - lots of memories in that store, and lots of learning for a young kid like I was!!

I said Timberhill - I MEANT to say "Timber Ridge" - sorry!!!!

Old 03-05-2010, 11:52 AM

262 posts, read 505,005 times
Would anyone by any chance have a scan of an old St. Michael Catholic school patch? Back in the 1960's when St. Michael's Church & School was still on South street, the boys wore khaki uniforms with a black tie. The school patch was worn on the shoulder. It was a round embroidered yellow & gold patch, in the middle was the Alamo.

I am also searching for pictures of the school, church or any activities. I attended St. Michael's 1960 thru 1965. In 1965, the facilities were closed & torn down in preparation for Hemisfair 68'. Where St. Michael's was once was now stands the Tower of the Americas. Thanks so much.

Last edited by Nix54; 03-05-2010 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: Corrections In Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio