Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 10:40 PM

237 posts, read 851,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I was at that concert. It was all Jefferson Highschool people and .... Spiral Staircase came out because they were just too Hollywood!
I was not at the KONO concert promoted by the poster Dwangle. An old friend who was the original drummer for Shivas Head Band loaned me that poster to photocopy a while back. I've been waiting for a good point at which to share it with everyone here and Mud's pink ticket made it happen. Never saw Spiral Staircase but can guarantee that Spencer Perskin with Shivas & Bubble Puppy would have been as good as it got back then and in different ways but I have no recall whatsoever of the Water Brothers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 11:04 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,732,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I get confused when I think about Swingtime. I remember the host as being Don Couser, a DJ on KONO. His sponsor was "Big Red" and Centeno's supermarket. I guess at some point when I quit watching it, it changed to Bruce Hathaway and KTSA. Maybe I am mixing up two different shows. There was another one earlier than Swingtime called Teen Time or Teen Scene --does anyone remember that one?
I believe it did start out on Channel 12 KONO with Don Couser and Big Red. The show's producer(owner?) was a lady by the name of Adcock. Later, Bruce Hathaway was the host, but I'm not sure it changed stations. I dont' remember the other shows.

And BudB, for the record, I posted the pink ticket and Mud enlarged it

Old 03-27-2010, 12:06 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
I wonder if he was reading a couple years back when we went thru a similar series of posts? I told the story about wandering around the Turbiville showroom, while my dad's '59 Merc was being serviced, and leaning into the front passenger window of a new pinkish 1960 Lincoln Continental Mark V. When I stepped back after examining the controls, radio, dash, etc. there was a 3 or 4 inch vertical scratch on the door below the window and pink paint on my large western style belt buckle. Nervously walking away and out the door, I probably stopped breathing for a few minutes at least until it seemed nobody saw it happen. 50 years later and I still feel bad about that and always hoped their insurance covered the damage. Here's a foto of the same type car and you can see how the upper door panel flared out making it easy for me to scrape accidentally. Sorry Mr. T .... you can take it out of my allowance for the next 200 years.
I remember you telling this story Bud.. I remember the salesmen gave my brother and i plastic pistols that shot rubber bands i think. I believe we got out with a model of the Turnpike Cruiser my father bought. Push button Automatic and electric rear window. This was 58' or 59' i reckon.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:01 AM

847 posts, read 2,231,206 times
Quote:

I've been waiting for a good point at which to share it with everyone here and Mud's pink ticket made it happen.
not my ticket Bud. I was quoting RGJ. he posted that image.

link below to a backstage at the Vulcan Gas Company snapshot.

http://www.dirtbrothers.org/ofp/pers...vulcan1167.jpg

Old 03-27-2010, 09:07 AM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,544,120 times
Quote:
I was not at the KONO concert promoted by the poster Dwangle. An old friend who was the original drummer for Shivas Head Band loaned me that poster to photocopy a while back. I've been waiting for a good point at which to share it with everyone here and Mud's pink ticket made it happen. Never saw Spiral Staircase but can guarantee that Spencer Perskin with Shivas & Bubble Puppy would have been as good as it got back then and in different ways but I have no recall whatsoever of the Water Brothers.
I keep forgetting that you are four or five years older than me. It doesn't mean much now but back then it was a world apart. I would love to have a recording of Shivas Headband when they were at their best. I saw them numerous times in concert but never heard of a good recording. The one they did for Capitol records wasn't that good if I remember right but maybe I need to find a copy and listen to it again. I have the Bubble Puppy record "A gathering of Promises" and still like to listen to it. I think the Water Brothers just got together for that one show. Everybody was there to see Bubble Puppy anyway---not Spiral Staircase.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I believe it did start out on Channel 12 KONO with Don Couser and Big Red. The show's producer(owner?) was a lady by the name of Adcock. Later, Bruce Hathaway was the host, but I'm not sure it changed stations. I dont' remember the other shows.

And BudB, for the record, I posted the pink ticket and Mud enlarged it
I am sure there were parents with 8mm movie cameras filming their sons and daughters in the studio. Maybe someday some of them will turn up.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
The Animals appeared here in Austin the night following the SA show. My college room mate at the time did movie and music reviews for the UT Daily Texan newspaper so had passes for their show. I tagged along so met then visited with Burdon and Animals backstage before and after the show at Palmer Auditorium. It was a sold out concert that went well so got a good review. Afterwards in order to do a complete interview for the Texan we went with the band to the Toddle House, a small, all night coffee shop near campus. Eric Burdon was a damn nice guy and they all seemed like a good group of gents who treated the two of us in a friendly manner. The interview went well until a drunk redneck came in about midnite. Seeing that much long hair was apparently too much for the jerk so he wanted to fight any or all of us right then and there. The obnoxious prick became more belligerent as we tried to ignore him until it seemed a fight was coming. The Brits tried to avoid confronting the loudmouth but he was too drunk to be put off. Fortunately just as the poop was about to hit the fan, a Deputy Sheriff walked in for some coffee and got the boozer distracted long enough for us to pay and leave. Obviously it made a sorry impression on the group of touring Englishmen but they seemed to accept it as inevitable given the times and mood of the average American/Texan to long hair. That was neither the first nor last time I got hassled for having long hair then.
Mudd's ticket reminded me to post this old concert poster to see if it rings any bells out there.
There was a Newspaper that was printed in Austin called "The Rag". I used to pick up copies at the local head shops here in town. I really don't know if it was really relevant or not but it was certainly part of the whole south texas experience--were you unfortunate enough (just kidding) to have anything to do with it? I loved the part where they would review street drugs and tell you which ones were worth taking..really funny! I only went to the Head Shops to buy Comix . I used to love Robert Crumb and I still do!

Old 03-27-2010, 07:32 PM

237 posts, read 851,036 times
Default Vulcan

[quote=mudpuddle;13474797].not my ticket Bud. I was quoting RGJ. he posted that image.link below to a backstage at the Vulcan Gas Company snapshot.

Sorry about that miscredit to Mud and a big thanks to RGJ. But a definite thanx to Mud for the neat Vulcan foto. That's old friend Houston White on far right side, the co-founder of Vulcan Gas Co., then another old friend Richard Finnell sitting with leg up; he has the Shivas second drummer and also from San Antonio as was the first one, Jerry Barnett who I still see regularly for coffee and tacos. Next to him is bass player Kenny Parker then Spencer Perskin, creator of Shivas Headband, his wife Susan and standing is Shaun Siegel keyboards.
Spencer may hold some kind of record for keeping Shivas Headband alive for the last 40 odd years with varying personnel but the same sound more or less because it was always based on his energetic fiddling. And it was always the type band that sounded best live and rarely as good on record for whatever reason.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:02 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,206 times
Quote:

the same sound more or less because it was always based on his energetic fiddling.

And it was always the type band that sounded best live and rarely as good on record for whatever reason.
I hear Spenser's *energetic fiddling* more as electric violining.

He was a student at Julliard or one of those schools then he dropped...............

I'll type more later, gonna hit the sack........

Old 03-28-2010, 05:59 PM

136 posts, read 331,807 times
Default Kaiser/Frazier dealer ?

All the posts about dealerships have me sorting through memories of my Dad buying his Kaisers in the 40's and 50's. I seem to recall the dealership being on Broadway, but I can't remember the name. He switched to Chrysler's hen Kaiser/Frazier went out of business in the USA in '57, but lamented to loss of the Kaiser's until he died. Kaiser went on for a long time in Brazil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio