Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 06:33 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,543,835 times

Advertisements

This reminded of something an old pastor at St Gregory's once said (It's pretty corny!) " I came here to work in the Denver Heights--I then was moved to the Los Angeles Heights--From there I went to the Balcones Heights..I sincerly hope my next assignment is the celestial heights!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 07:18 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I didn't post that photo, gy2020 did. I think it came from the back of a Jefferson yearbook.
Yes, I did post that and the kids were from Jeff. But who knows, a few kids from Highland might have sneaked over. The pic was taken on Donaldson Ave., right in front of the school. I can identify a few of them, but they were in the class ahead of me. My 61 annual got corroded with a book blight and all of the back pages are stuck together. I recently inherited a 1940 annual from Jeff and I might post some ads from that one in time.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:27 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
This reminded of something an old pastor at St Gregory's once said (It's pretty corny!) " I came here to work in the Denver Heights--I then was moved to the Los Angeles Heights--From there I went to the Balcones Heights..I sincerly hope my next assignment is the celestial heights!!
Was that Monsignor Holden that said that?

Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 PM

no not him..It was his replacement..Monsenor Boil or something like that...Did you know Monsignor Holden?

Old 05-02-2010, 09:27 PM

ok when I was a kid I lived close to the church..Father Holden needed someone to help him say mass and he always called me..I didn't know he was dying of cancer. He would call me and I would just do it..I didn't understand why there was nobody else in the church. I was kinda stupid I guess

Old 05-02-2010, 09:54 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
I knew Father/Monsignor Holden well. He was tough! I went to St Gregory's School, and he would come in every six weeks to give out report cards. I made my first D in fourth grade geography, and he seemed to enjoy spreading the news.

When he was made Monsignor, there was a big celebration, and he told everyone they needed to be there. I didn't go, choosing to go fishing instead. He caught me at school the next Monday, and asked why I wasn't there!

He would get worked up while speaking at mass, and his ears would get beet red. He scared me when I was a four year old.

Somewhere, I have my first Communion group picture with my classmates, and Father Holden sitting in the middle of the bleachers with us.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:20 AM

42 posts, read 214,153 times
An abrupt non sequitir:

Does anyone remember any of the old print shops in San Antonio? Like from the 40's through the 60's? Not newspaper print shops, but the others...

Old 05-03-2010, 01:58 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Like old man Mungia's print shop?

Old 05-03-2010, 07:17 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,735 times
I remember Bellinger's(on St Mary's or S. Flores or S. Presa, I think) print shop and Steubings print shop(in the Denver Ht or Highland Park area)

Old 05-03-2010, 10:15 AM

237 posts, read 850,964 times
Default Munguia, Bellinger, et al

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Like old man Mungia's print shop?
I had the privilege of doing what may have been the last interview with Mr. Ruben Munguia a few months before his somewhat sudden death for my book titled "Chinese Heart of Texas". Ruben was a minor but key player in the SA Chinese history described in the 2005 book because he went to old Lanier High School with the local Chinese kids then growing up on the near westside. His father Romulo began La Imprenta Estrella aka Star Press in 1926 after fleeing to SA from Mexico's turbulent and often lethal political scene. The name was later changed to Mungia Printers and tho the business office is still on W. Commerce at Buena Vista and is still operating, the actual printing is done elsewhere now for economic reasons. The Munguia's are a truly historic SA family and owners of one of the old time print shops you ask about that once were found all over town.
The Bellingers were another very historic SA family but on the black Eastside which coincidentally is the subject of my current book project. But your mentioning print shops reminds me too of the many and varied shops around town doing small engine repair, bicycle repair, flat tire fixers, etc. or whatever that have all but disappeared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio