Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 06:28 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,547 times

Advertisements

GBNF in SA memorabilia up for auction this weekend.
Brackenridge sky ride's gondolas among items up for auction - San Antonio Express-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 12:38 PM

44 posts, read 124,388 times
I have heard that Terrell Plaza on Austin Highway is to be demolished except for the Earl Abel's building. I do not know for sure what is to go in place of the center, but have heard something about a Super Target being built somewhere on Austin Highway. Has anyone else heard about this?

Old 05-05-2011, 04:00 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMAS655 View Post
I have heard that Terrell Plaza on Austin Highway is to be demolished except for the Earl Abel's building. I do not know for sure what is to go in place of the center, but have heard something about a Super Target being built somewhere on Austin Highway. Has anyone else heard about this?
The rumor about a Target location has been floating around for the last few years.

As far as demolishing the western most portion of Terrell Plaza, that wouldn't surprise me. It looks like most of that side of the complex is vacant. When the current owners of the property bought it a few years ago (after which the Target rumors started), they stated that the layout of the buildings on the property did not make efficient use of the available land (there is a big parking lot on the back side, for one thing).

That area could really benefit from a Target store. I think the only local Target east of 281 is the one at the Forum.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:24 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,543,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
The rumor about a Target location has been floating around for the last few years.

As far as demolishing the western most portion of Terrell Plaza, that wouldn't surprise me. It looks like most of that side of the complex is vacant. When the current owners of the property bought it a few years ago (after which the Target rumors started), they stated that the layout of the buildings on the property did not make efficient use of the available land (there is a big parking lot on the back side, for one thing).

That area could really benefit from a Target store. I think the only local Target east of 281 is the one at the Forum.
Just to understand. Is this where Dick's Hobby shop was?

Old 05-06-2011, 09:07 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Just to understand. Is this where Dick's Hobby shop was?
Yes.

Dick's Hobby Shop was on the back side (NE corner, actually) of the building at the west end of the complex. That building appears to be largely vacant now. The only thing I can think of that currently occupies the center rear building (originally JC Penney & White's), is a church on the back side, and a Bingo hall. Most of the remaining tenants appear to be concentrated in the front center building, and the west building.

HEB was the original anchor tenant in the west building, about where Big Lots is now, and the end of that building where Earl Abel's is now was added in the mid-1980s, and Miller's Outpost was the original tenant in that space.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:12 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I wonder if the DeWinne's sold out directly to the Miller's? Be interesting if Cap'n Jim's was the precursor of Barnacle Bill's.
Barnacle Bill's was established in 1993 by Jeff and Paul Vance and Scott Miller, all grandsons of Bill Miller. Sadly, all Barnacle Bill's locations suddenly closed in 2007 for reasons still unknown. But another seafood restaurant either has or is about to open at the old Barnacle Bills at 410/Rigsby. Not sure if the Millers or Vances are involved.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:57 PM

44 posts, read 124,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
Barnacle Bill's was established in 1993 by Jeff and Paul Vance and Scott Miller, all grandsons of Bill Miller. Sadly, all Barnacle Bill's locations suddenly closed in 2007 for reasons still unknown. But another seafood restaurant either has or is about to open at the old Barnacle Bills at 410/Rigsby. Not sure if the Millers or Vances are involved.
It has been open for quite some time. I do not recall what it is called, but in small letters at the top of the sign before the name of the restaurant says "Bill Miller's" then the name of the restaurant. I do not know if any of the other former Barnacle Bill's have reopened, seems like I saw at least one location that was another business now.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:44 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMAS655 View Post
It has been open for quite some time. I do not recall what it is called, but in small letters at the top of the sign before the name of the restaurant says "Bill Miller's" then the name of the restaurant. I do not know if any of the other former Barnacle Bill's have reopened, seems like I saw at least one location that was another business now.
Laguna Madre comes to mind.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:07 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,735 times
I think, but not for sure, that the three sons(that own Bill Miller's BBQ) of Bill Miller helped bankroll or otherwise had a hand in the original Barnacle Bills which was owned and run by other family members and when things weren't working, they pulled the plug. Conjecture only, but it's the only reason I can see why they closed so suddenly and never re-opened.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:09 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Laguna Madre comes to mind.
Correct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio