Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 05:47 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times

Advertisements

I love this thread!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 07:19 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,023 times
Hey I just added a thread to Houston: Gone But Not Forgotten

If any of you San Antonioians ever lived in Houston for a spell you might be able to add to the new thread. Thanks

Old 06-19-2009, 07:32 PM

65 posts, read 158,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
hmmm....was there another location that I didn't know about? The Bun N Barrel on Austin Highway is still there and still going fairly strong. Still looks exactly the same with a few minor changes.

Just a few blocks from there was a place called "The Bean Pot"....I don't remember much about it....but my parents frequented that place.
The Bean Pot was owned by the Tassos family - the same family that originally owned The Barn Door...

Old 06-19-2009, 09:05 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,045 times
Quote:

OMG...when did you take those pictures?

That huge vine is incredible. Spooky is an understatement....and very sad.

Cat, I said before that the pix were taken about 3 years ago.

I just looked at the date on the pix, and I see they were snapped on March 25 2004.

Here are a couple more from the same day.........

................first is Lynn's Studio/Shop, from the River side
lots of glass/light
in march 04, it was packed with a sheetload of toss away scraps and dropOffs.
little gravel path to the right leads to the gate that satx posted a picture
to the left, is to the main house.

............second is the main house, from the River side
Lynn's Studio is to the right (not in the picture)

...............third is one of many Lynn Ford beaten lead planters that were scattered about here and there

Quote:

I just now read the bio on Lynn Ford on the Texas Online Handbook.
I'm ashamed to say that I had not heard of Lynn Ford before your post!

What an amazing man....

and sort of sad that he was overshadowed by his older brother.

I can see why you are so interested in him.
It sounds like he had more to do with Willow Way than O'Neill.
Did he live there as well?
I can't remember anything in the book on O'Neill Ford even mentioning his brother or sister of any significance.

*I* wouldn't say he was overshadowed by O'Neil.
depends where you are standing and looking from as to which way the shadow falls.

and, I don't know that I would agree that he had more to do with WW.
O'Neil and Lynn were each forces there. As were others.

Quote:
I'm posting an update. Showing my senility or ignorance ....take your pick.
I don't know if this was mentioned in detail in the book on ONeil Ford.
I got this from an article in the Express.
The Willow Way estate belonged to Wanda Graham's parents.
Her mother was Elizabeth Oryrinski Graham.
One of her grandmothers was Elizabeth Murphy, who married John Bowen at San Fernando Cathedral in 1850.
The book on O'Neil Ford obviously focused on his life and career.
He was basically a newcomer to SA in 1940.
It's interesting to find out that he married into a long line of very OLD San Antonio families.

A mention of his wedding in an article in the paper was a very elaborate ceremony held in the granary of the old San Jose mission. (pre restoration)....
their reception was held at Willow Way.
It must have been glorious at that time. They had dancing on the roof!
Gotta link to that article??
that's an interesting bit of info from a different perspective than the article I linked to in my previous posting.

mud...........

Old 06-19-2009, 09:10 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
There's a previous mention of it here...

Quote:
Triangle Ice House (1954-…) Corner Babcock and Balcones Heights Road. Had curb service. Owner Mr. Endicott, nice guy. Died of brain cancer.
Ralph Carl Powers, the guy convicted of killing Dickie Renfro and still in Huntsville, burgled the Triangle the same night he committed the murder.
The property on which the building is built is a triangle, so I guess that is why it was named Triangle.
It was a raunchy noisy beer joint for a short time in the 80’s and now an upholstery shop.
Otherwise, I share your confusion as to the point of this thread...

Old 06-20-2009, 07:44 PM

I've been ovefr on the Houston forum and I created a GBNF over there. I was rewarded with a great link to Texas Hiways that has all the cities in Texas and old photos of the freeways/

TexasFreeway.com > San Antonio

Click on San antonio on the left and go to historical part and look at old photos.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:19 PM

Notice the airport at the bottom left. This is Loop 410 and Broadway is crossing about middle of picture. I think that is Shrievners at the corner of Broadway and Loop 410. The top part shows freeway under construction.

I copied most of the photos from San Antonio and you can see them on my photobucket page.

freeways san antonio :: i10_northwest_san_antonio_nov_looki.jpg picture by jh1882 - Photobucket

Old 06-22-2009, 05:51 AM

14 posts, read 55,485 times
speakin of Austin Hwy. spots, and please forgive me if memory is a little rusty:

1) the old Shakey's building was later a nightclub in the mid to late 80's, called " The Knave" I think. Not sure if it survives today

2) Used to go to the Elbow Room in the 80's and early 90's for some pretty cool local acts. Is it still there?

3) What was the name of the "biker bar" across, and just up the street from Ramada, same block as Terrel Plaza (I think). I remember stone wall street side. Played a few gigs there with one of my old bands in the late 80's.

4) I thought that at one time, the old "Pegasus" horse was being restored, and re-set at that station @ Broadway and Austin Hwy.?

Last edited by borninSAstuckinGA; 06-22-2009 at 06:27 AM..

Old 06-22-2009, 06:01 AM

OK, looking at aerial map from Mapquest, I guess my memory has taken a SERIOUS vacation. I don't recognize a lot of landmarks from that area anymore. Is 7 Oaks the old Ramada? and wasn't there a small golf course next to it?

Old 06-22-2009, 06:07 AM

scanned further down Broadway. Was very interested that the old Playland Park property still has some structures still there after almost 30 years. Looks like the old entrance pavilion and something round in the center, resembling a fountain, or some such. Am very disappointed that Earl Abel's is dead and gone now. I remember eating there w/ my grandparents after sunday church back in the 70's and early 80's.

Last edited by borninSAstuckinGA; 06-22-2009 at 06:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio