Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 06:01 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,873,632 times

Advertisements

Awesome article regarding the location of Parkair Drive In off of Goliad.

Parkair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 06:20 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,793,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Awesome article regarding the location of Parkair Drive In off of Goliad.

Parkair
Yep, good stuff. The Park-air, however it was spelled, was much like the old Roxy. It was built in a triangle shaped property which is a nice fit for drive-ins. I have been to most of the Drive-ins in the city growing up. The Roxy is one I hardly remember except in it's closed abandoned state. Mom said we did go there also. It was located at Pleasanton and Moursund. Screen was in the northern tip. It was still up into, if I recall correctly, the very early 70's. same as the Park-air. Those were the days..

Old 07-01-2012, 07:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,906,789 times
As I've posted here before, we lived behind the Parkair theater. My dad sold part of the chicken farm we had to the guy that built it. At one time, all of Highland Hills was nothing but a mesquite patch with cattle. WE were even offered to have our own speaker installed at dads expense if we wanted. The owner assumed since we couldn't help but see it, might as well hear it too. But dad said no. So us kids would shinny under the fence during the day and turn all of the speakers at max and we could hear it in the back yard. A lot of the neighbors would come over after dark to watch. If I remember correctly, the theater opened as the Hi Park and later became the Parkair. And as the drive ins went in those days, just before we moved out Bandera Rd, it turned into showing X rated movies. Not bad for a teenage boy with raging hormones anyway. But those were the days of insinuated sex as they really didn't show anything, just left it to yer imagination. Remember Brigitte Bardot? Got to see a lot of her....and I mean a lot. How innocent the times were back then. No color TV, no cellphones, no computers, no internet, and God help ya if ya got caught messin' up cause anybody's mom would land in yer backside.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:11 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,061 times
Default I am sure you are right,

Mudpuddle I don't remember the specs. any more, man, that was a long time ago. I barely remember
any of it at all but I do remember the number of teeth differed from 1972' to 1973' when the bore was
enlarged from 650cc to 750cc the gear ratio was changed and the tooth count was changed to a lesser number of teeth.
I just don't remember all of that stuff as my enthusiasm has waned over the years. Wished I still had the thing though. Maybe it was the front sprocket I had read about anyway? I don't think so though.
THe information I posted to you was what I read in some magazines back in the seventies, that is a loong time ago. I can readily see what you mean though. Easily. Way more teeth than 22 on there.
That is one hell of a clean back wheel there you have. Beautiful.
You comprende real well, didn't know you were going to start counting teeth there, it was as
best I could rember from nearly a near forty years old article. While you were counting sprocket teeth --Did you notice the year of the license plate on the Triumph? My- 1973 memory is good but not that good. it was stamped by some of my friends in the state penirentiary., my memory is good but it isn't that good. How can you expect me to rembner
The sportster still has the aluminum self-cleaning rims that came stock on the bike, I am getting to replace them with chrome ones and hang on to the original rims and spokes. The seat on it is off a 1979 "Touring Sportster" if there ever was such a thing as a touring Sportster complete with windshieldbags and all-but I still have the original seat too for the "1972, a little pancake seat Factory says For1972i does 13.37 elapsed time for a quarter. as they called it about two inches thick, not comfortable at all, it is still all there though compete..
I can pull up with it and people will stare at the old beast. Even if it is parked next to a brand new beast.
It is a dinosaur in the midle of a stable of thoroubreds.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:12 AM

847 posts, read 2,230,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post

Mudpuddle I don't remember the specs. any more, man, that was a long time ago.

I figured out why I couldn't make sense of it all

I do believe the 19 teeth would be at the transmission end of the rear chain

then it makes sense, 22 to 19 there.

yeah I saw the year on the plate. and I assume it says Michigan.

that picture of the wheel was right after I converted from belt drive to chain.

here's a better shot......................

Old 07-05-2012, 06:25 PM

.... Beanville

anyone have trivia etc??
Judge Roy Bean

During the Civil War, the Confederate Army invaded New Mexico.
After the Battle of Glorieta Pass in March 1862, the Texans began retreating to San Antonio.
After first taking money from his brother's safe, Bean joined the retreating army.
For the remainder of the war, he ran the blockade by hauling cotton from San Antonio
to British ships off the coast at Matamoros,
then returning with supplies.

For the next twenty years, Bean lived in San Antonio, working nominally as a teamster.
He attempted to run a firewood business, cutting down a neighbor's timber.
He then tried to run a dairy business,
but was soon caught watering down the milk,
and later worked as a butcher,
rustling unbranded cattle from other area ranchers

On October 28, 1866, he married eighteen-year-old Virginia Chavez.
Within a year after they were married he was arrested
for aggravated assault and threatening his wife's life.
Despite the tumultuous marriage,
the two had four children together, Roy Jr., Laura, Zulema, and Sam.
The family lived in "a poverty-stricken Mexican slum area called Beanville"
(centered around the corner of South Flores Street and Glenn Avenue
hundred years ago my family was based in Beanville.

mud

Old 07-05-2012, 06:35 PM

Ahha Mud. I knew the Dairy run by Roy Bean was there near Glenn and Probandt near the river. Beanville huh?

Old 07-05-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post

Ahha Mud. I knew the Dairy run by Roy Bean was there near Glenn and Probandt near the river.

Beanville huh?
yessir.

what brought this up for me was, couple daze ago I found an old map.

San Antonio 190something.

here are a couple pieces of that map............

this piece shows BeanVille...............

now, onto another info source,
the DataBase I use only goes back to 1877 for San Antonio
shows Bean in 1877 as a rancher.

and, note, Charles Baumberger is a Clerk for Seligmann.
he went on to own Alamo Cement - that location is now The Quarry

I believe I had previously posted a photo of the Baumberger crypt at Mission Burial Park.

Probably in another thread

mud

Old 07-05-2012, 07:37 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,906,789 times
My great, great grand father rode with General Sibley during the Glorietta Pass campaign. He was a surgeon with the Confederacy after being burned out in the Washington DC area by the Yankee troops, he decided he was on the wrong side and came to Texas. I have a letter written by his wife about the trip and I can't imagine the hardship those folks went thru. On the return trip it was winter and one of the worst on record. She writes of men stationed on duty at night to be found frozen to death still at the ready the next morning. Farmers and ranchers would not share any food goods or sell them food goods either as the war was coming to a close and their Confederate money worthless. She drove the ambulance and had 3 children to care for at the same time.
I had never heard of Beanville in San Antonio until now. There was a Beanville in Colorado that I've worked some of the historic sites but never in Texas have I heard the name. Sounds like something I'll have to research.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
yessir.

what brought this up for me was, couple daze ago I found an old map.

San Antonio 190something.

here are a couple pieces of that map............

this piece shows BeanVille...............

now, onto another info source,
the DataBase I use only goes back to 1877 for San Antonio
shows Bean in 1877 as a rancher.

and, note, Charles Baumberger is a Clerk for Seligmann.
he went on to own Alamo Cement - that location is now The Quarry

I believe I had previously posted a photo of the Baumberger crypt at Mission Burial Park.

Probably in another thread

mud
I had some old street guides I wish I still had. Not that old but pretty old. Not surprised to see Mitchell St. already way back then. Probably named after Asa Mitchell as was the notorious Lake south of town. He was involved in city gov at one time If I recall correctly. Is Baumberger's mausoleum in Mission South? I've seen plenty there but mostly when younger. I think you posted it in "where's this location" thread.

Shows Judge Roy Beans residence I assume north of Alamo St. which may have been Aransas st. at that time. I guess he didn't live on the dairy property. I wonder how long the Voss family were in Beantown area.. Wasn't it you that I had some conversation with about their old building on Glenn? Voss Iron Works or Voss Metal Works.. I remember it for years with the open windows and such upstairs. Work going on downstairs. I've been in the family home there nearby. Pretty neat house old home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio