Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 08:23 PM

91 posts, read 323,638 times

Advertisements

Question for the masses: When the Central Park Sears opened in 1968, there was a fountain on the lower level of the store between the escalators. The fountain was called the Rose Window Fountain because the pool was in the shape of the Rose Window at Mission San Jose. Does anyone know when this fountain was removed? I think it was in the mid-90s when it disappeared and became floor space. It was a unique aspect of that Sears.

Thanks,

Macgrad89
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 10:33 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
For those wondering about the Wonder Theater and where it was at Wonderland (couldn't resist the wonders), it was on the 410 side along the access road and just west of where Dave and Buster's is now. The Wonder came down 25 years ago in 1987. Amazing that it's been that long.

Macgrad89 (back after a long absence...)
I remember back before they tore it down the had a hunted house there every year.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:16 AM

216 posts, read 398,733 times
Default Western village nest to Golden Stallion

There was a post a few days ago about this place, the Western Village. It was built in '68, I remember because several of my friends and I helped to build it my senior year of high school. The lumber came from homes and businesses that had been torn down to build Hemisfair downtown. That wood was so hard a lot of times you had to drill a hole to get a nail into it. It was the type of lumber I don't think you could buy today for any amount of money, 20ft 2x12's with out a knot, and rough cut it was full dimensional stuff.
The people that owned and built it were the Pearl Gunslingers as mentioned earlier Bob Dale was one of the principal men involved the other I remember was Peter Kutzer ( hope i spelled it correctly) he played the sheriff or Marshall, wore knee-high boots, flat brimmed black hat and had a long handlebar mustache. When the Folklife Festival started up at the Institute of Texan Cultures the Pearl Gunslingers used to preform there. They were a great bunch of guys who loved hamming it up for the crowd and bringing a little taste of the "Old West" to modern San Antonio.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:37 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,293,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
For those wondering about the Wonder Theater and where it was at Wonderland (couldn't resist the wonders), it was on the 410 side along the access road and just west of where Dave and Buster's is now. The Wonder came down 25 years ago in 1987. Amazing that it's been that long.

Macgrad89 (back after a long absence...)
They also had Chinese plum trees growing along the sides of the theater. My friends and I, little vandals that we were, would crush and throw them at each other while waiting for a movie to start. I even ate one once, not a very good idea.....

Old 09-25-2012, 06:48 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
They also had Chinese plum trees growing along the sides of the theater. My friends and I, little vandals that we were, would crush and throw them at each other while waiting for a movie to start. I even ate one once, not a very good idea.....
.....loquats. taste great.

the one you ate musta notta been ripe.........

Old 09-25-2012, 07:05 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,293,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post

It definitely was not ripe. Growing up in SA, I was clearly unaware of Chinese agriculture.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:54 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,389,324 times
Default Loquats?,

So that is what those Chinese Plums were. I used to eat them also when a kid.
Seeds were too large.
Persimmons, not so good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post

Old 09-26-2012, 02:20 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post

It definitely was not ripe.

Growing up in SA, I was clearly unaware of Chinese agriculture.
I grew up here also.

earlyist I remember eating that fruit is about 1957.

that woulda been near San Pedro and Oblate.

then I was light enough to climb up into the tree to gorge.

some years are good for the fruit. others not.

in the good years, ya gotta get to em before the birds do.

I likem best with the skin peeled off.

last loquat snack was about a month ago over near Trinity University.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post

So that is what those Chinese Plums were. I used to eat them also when a kid.

Seeds were too large.

Persimmons, not so good.
the slimy seeds can be pinched out between thumb and forefinger like bullets.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:09 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,389,324 times
Default Loquat Seeds fire Like Bullets,

Now- I can remember doing that ! I had forgotten about that trick, pinching out of
the 2 seeds of Chinese Plums. Had to be reminded of it.
Grandparents had a fig tree in their yard that grew some very good figs. Backyard peaches are very good
here too.
I have raised some pretty good sized watermelons from seed on the Southside of town....when I was a kid.
Nothing enormous or prize winning, 2 to 2/12 feet. Nothing to do as far as diversions back then ,
we actually did constructive things back then to kill time.
But WTH the seeds and melons were free and when I was a kid that was remarkable enough!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:54 AM

15 posts, read 52,134 times
hey Mud,

Do you have any information on the history of the Hall of Horns at the Buckhorn Saloon. I believe the Keilman family was connected to it somehow...at least thats the story I remember from growing up. They are old friends of the family although they are getting old now. This time period was somewhere around the 1920's that I believe it all started....any comments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio