Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 11:18 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times

Advertisements

Here! Yeah, made all of those. The owner of Jacala, Rudy Quinones, was a good friend of the family. But you forgot 5 Points cafe. Had lunch there almost every weekday for years. Tink a Taco started at Ashby and St Marys. There was also the Nighthawk at Main, I think. And then there was Lubys where Main and San Pedro come together. And of course, there was the redeye stew at Luthers. If you didn't get a Little Hips hamburger, well, you just missed out. Now that I'm hungry, think Tip Top might be a good place this afternoon. Or maybe a burger from Floyds. Always these decisions and so little time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFREAK View Post
The best I could find out, is that the sky ride was installed in 1963 and taken down, ( I think) around 2002.
Shows how skewed our memories can be.. I recall it being built would never have believed that early. Saw that on Ch 4's website. Thought it died much sooner too. In fact seemed to be it didn't last 10 years. This is what Incarnate Word's site says: 1964 -1999. I just can't get my head around that.

Rules For Living in Early San Antonio - University of the Incarnate Word

Quote:
Do you have any idea who the distributor was for Hippo soda water, ?? I remember those big bottles with the big bubble near the top. Man, they were reallly hard to slide out of those refridgerated boxes with the steel rails....member,??.......you member !
Nah, that would have been back in the 60's at least. Hippos were good. Remember Mr. Cola? Tasted as good as Coca-Cola to me and were much larger for the $$. I'm sure Coke killed them legally or financially. My uncle had a lift door home style vendor for RC with the rails.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:04 PM

265 posts, read 534,503 times
Quote:
The best I could find out, is that the sky ride was installed in 1963 and taken down, ( I think) around 2002.
Someone had earlier asked about the gondolas.... there are several restored Skyride gondolas at the Castle, Rackspace's HQ at what used to be Windsor Park Mall.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:17 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,593 times
Default So Remember Jim Blanchard eh ?

Jim Blanchard was quite the wrestling bruiser from that time here in S.A.He just died a few months ago.
Maybe longer, August, there was a short discussion about it at the time here. The ones I remember are Bruiser Brody, Kamala, The Sheik, Von Erick, the Freebirds, The Sheepherders
and Mil Mascaras(one thousand masks).
Funny stuff , looking back nowadays, the crazy costumes worn by the sheepherders and some others.
It has been a long time since I was a kid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert soliz View Post
Yes,Ican still remember throwing a cup of ice and Coke from the balconey thinking I could reach the the wrestler who beat Mil Mascars,but instead hit a cop.I didn't get caught but man was I scared being 8yrs.old.I belive I still have some old programs of that time, being 1960-62.I saw Danny McShane,Duke Kamuka,Joe Blancherd,Prince Myeva.The Destroyer(figure-4 fame)all the big stars of that time.Wished I had a photo of the place.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:59 PM

159 posts, read 785,006 times
Quote:
The ones I remember are Bruiser Brody, Kamala, The Sheik, Von Erick, the Freebirds, The Sheepherders
Huckster

I use to love the these guys in the 80's. The Iron Sheik from Iran, Kamala the Ugandan Giant, The Von Ericks...Kevin was my favorite lives in Hawaii now (for pizza out, its Pizza Inn). The Freebirds remember the Bad Street USA video. My mom worked security at the airport and I had a notebook with ALL their autographs, even the missing link who just scribbled on some paper because he's The Missing Link, age unknown, race unknown from parts unknown yeah right my mom said she heard guys call him "Dewy" I almost died laughing. Mom also told me that Kamala was a nice soft spoken guy. I think Ice Man King Parsons had a thing for my mom. We use to go to the matches and Id get to meet the guys backstadge. They drank a lot of beers, I still have two pics from those days, one of me and Gentelman Chris Adams and one of me and David Von Erick shortly before he passed away.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:14 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
I saw Bruiser Brody at the Kendall County Fair back in the early 80's I think it was. I think he was the one killed down in Central America. The wrestling place was on Blanco at Fulton, if I recall, was in the late 70's. Later, it was at Cypress (or Evergreen) and San Pedro.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 PM

263 posts, read 480,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Yes, I remember that coin shop, next to that little ice cream shop.
My best friend worked at the ice cream shop when she was a teen.
Again, some nice after club dates at that particular Jim's!!!
The clubs I visited were The Kangaroo Court,The 1836 club,Bwanna something,something and the Esquire on Commerce,I believe its re-opened again.This is back when the 18 yr drinking law went into effect.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Here! Yeah, made all of those. The owner of Jacala, Rudy Quinones, was a good friend of the family. But you forgot 5 Points cafe. Had lunch there almost every weekday for years. Tink a Taco started at Ashby and St Marys. There was also the Nighthawk at Main, I think. And then there was Lubys where Main and San Pedro come together. And of course, there was the redeye stew at Luthers. If you didn't get a Little Hips hamburger, well, you just missed out. Now that I'm hungry, think Tip Top might be a good place this afternoon. Or maybe a burger from Floyds. Always these decisions and so little time.
T.L.-Man you can't go and not mention Casa Blancanext door to Santa Rosa in th 50's,nor Marios along 35 south at Commerce in the 70's for a late dinner after closing down the barsthen if still had energy,you could hit the Navy club after hours and come back to Marios for breakfast.Oh what a night!!!!!!!!!!
Asoliz

Old 12-13-2012, 07:51 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,982,226 times
GOLDEN STAR anyone?
Downtown place to eat when the clubs closed.
Mexican , Chinese, American food
Fish with brown gravy and white bread with fries.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Do you have any idea who the distributor was for Hippo soda water, ?? I remember those big bottles with the big bubble near the top. Man, they were reallly hard to slide out of those refridgerated boxes with the steel rails....member,??.......you member !
hey,Iwas just told that it was RC COLA when it was located along 35 n.and behind the K/Mart downtown.They distributed Hippo Size soda for many years. Now ,mentioning that area around market square,does any one remember the little snow cone shop at the east end of Market Square tucked in a little room facing w.commerce?Alittleold hispanic man named MRSuesado owned it.Every time someone we knew was at Santa Rosa,somehow we'd sneak away to get one of those delicios snow cones topped with vanilla ice cream then covered with his own homemade syrup.He had like six different flavors.my favorite,strawberry.All that for .50cents inthe late 50's early 60's.I know there's gotta be alot've you that know where I'am talkin' about. asoliz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio