Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 12:39 AM

176 posts, read 354,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
This was the superslide where a kid was killed if I am correct? What year was it open and when did it close?
I don't have the date. They didn't have a telephone, or if they did, it was either under another name, or non published. No Dairy Queen existed at the address, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 12:41 AM

176 posts, read 354,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
LJS was indeed there until the early 1990s.

Church's was actually located on Mount Calvary, directly behind what is now the Silo (I think it was a farmer's market at that time). I'm pretty sure that Church's location also closed in the early 1990s. I remember I stopped in there one Saturday, and picked up some chicken, then drove by the following Saturday, and the place was boarded up. That Church's Chicken had to have been one of the oldest locations. It was there in the 1960s.
Fall of 1989 Church's closed when Copeland Industries (owners of Popeyes chicken) acquired Church's chicken.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:49 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,724,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
LJS was indeed there until the early 1990s.

Church's was actually located on Mount Calvary, directly behind what is now the Silo (I think it was a farmer's market at that time). I'm pretty sure that Church's location also closed in the early 1990s. I remember I stopped in there one Saturday, and picked up some chicken, then drove by the following Saturday, and the place was boarded up. That Church's Chicken had to have been one of the oldest locations. It was there in the 1960s.
I forgot all about that Church's until I read your post that jogged my memory. It was very small, if I remember correctly, there was no indoor dinning area or drive thru, just a couple of picnic tables with steel umbrellas. Who remembers The Bean Pot and Sills Snack Shack that were located futher south on Austin Highway near Terrell Hills?

Old 01-13-2013, 01:36 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,607,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
I forgot all about that Church's until I read your post that jogged my memory. It was very small, if I remember correctly, there was no indoor dinning area or drive thru, just a couple of picnic tables with steel umbrellas. Who remembers The Bean Pot and Sills Snack Shack that were located futher south on Austin Highway near Terrell Hills?
I remember the Bean Pot . Located on 110 Austin Hwy. It was torn down .
A bank is there now.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:16 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,450,327 times
The "Bean Pot" had great beans, Wish I had those giant cast iron pots and their recipe. They'd go great with some tamales from Reuben's.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:31 PM

847 posts, read 2,217,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post

Who remembers The Bean Pot and Sills Snack Shack that were located futher south on Austin Highway near Terrell Hills?
we ate there in the 50s and the 60s. great.

also way back then ate at Youngbloods on Broadway

Tai Shan on Broadway

DeWinne's San Pedro and Oblate.

Big John's Steak House off Austin Highway

etc etc
Wallace (Wally) Tassos - Obituaries (2) - Family History & Genealogy Message Board - Ancestry.com

Old 01-13-2013, 03:25 PM

Mud I remember a DeWinne's (some form) down town. Not sure If I ever saw the one at Oblate. There was one maybe by the Capt'n Jim's name on Flores just north of Alamo St. I'm sure we've discussed this at some time. They must have all been related. My father knew Ernie pretty well.

This is an old Garage on the east side ...just managed to find it on google. Would love to know more about it. Anyone recognize it?

Google Maps

Old 01-13-2013, 04:53 PM

847 posts, read 2,217,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Mud I remember a DeWinne's (some form) down town. Not sure If I ever saw the one at Oblate. There was one maybe by the Capt'n Jim's name on Flores just north of Alamo St. I'm sure we've discussed this at some time. They must have all been related. My father knew Ernie pretty well.

This is an old Garage on the east side ...just managed to find it on google. Would love to know more about it. Anyone recognize it?

Google Maps
for Dewinne, start reading back at post # 1328
that Mittman address, I have been to. don't know any history.

very interesting building.....

Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
for Dewinne, start reading back at post # 1328
that Mittman address, I have been to. don't know any history.

very interesting building.....
Thanks for digging that up Mud. Lot of great info back there. Hard to get out when I start reading it all again.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:33 PM

3 posts, read 16,184 times
Default The Original Mexican Restaurant

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Campbell View Post
In downtown S.A., katty-corner across the river from Casa Rio, there was a Mexican restaurant called "The Original". It was in the building that comes to a point on the end nearest Commerce St. How long did it last? When I knew about it was in the 1940s.
It was open 1899 until 1961. Since the 80's it has been the Santa Fe Connection, selling clothes and arts/crafts. During the 70's and 80's it was Kerr's Curios mexican gift shop, which was Kerr's second location, the first one was on Commerce street next to Casa Rio, now a part of the restaurant.
The Original Mexican Restaurant building is going to be torn down in the next month or so. Lone Star Cafe and Riverwalk restaurants together with Bill Lyons who owns the building, are only required to save the front wall at 231 Losoya, the building will be demolished and a new building will house the kitchen, for the Lone Star Cafe and their other restaurant next door. On google maps streetview you can actually 'walk' through the building. Google Santa Fe Connection in maps, and place the little guy inside the store!
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-originalmexrestaurant-menu.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-original-mexican-restaurant.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio