Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 11:31 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Adding to his entrepreneurial resume, John Santikos introduced San Antonio to its first multi-screen indoor theatre, the Century South Theatre multiplex.
Now known as the "Mayan".
Taken from this ....

Olmos Theatre in San Antonio, TX - Cinema Treasures

seems Outafocus is a contributor ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert soliz View Post
I certainly do.They had great food.I liked there Chiken Fried Steak with the yellow chiken cream gravy.This was back in the early '80's.Now its a MEXICAN REST.,they also have good food.
So ...the one at New Laredo Hwy?? I may have been wrong about the vertical sign. But i could have sworn.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:50 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
The Wonder wasn't the first to "twin". It was twinned (very badly) in 1977, after 11 years as one of the nicest theatres in San Antonio. The first single screen to go multi screen was Aztec in 1970 when they split the balcony into two screens, and kept the downstairs as the large auditorium, The Fox Twin was made into the Fox 3 in 1974 by splitting one auditorium, and later the other original large auditorium was split making it a 4plex. The Woodlawn was split "piggy back style" in 1975 by making the balcony one auditorium, and the downstairs another.

San Antonio's first multi screen (twin) indoor theatre was North Star Cinema, built in 1964. (in 1979, Cinema I was split). The Fox Twin, and Century South 4 followed in 1969.

I thought of a couple of more suburban theatres. There was the South San, and the Uptown. The Uptown is still standing on Fredericksburg Road as the St Anne's Parish Hall.

I just thought of another, the Sunset on Nogalitos!

And another: Centeno's Cine Mexico Twin on Castroville Road.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 AM

I have a CD with the Grand Opening of the Harlandale Theater brochure in it. I believe it was 1928 a year before the Majestic opened if i recall. I'll dig it up and post it when I find it.

I guess the Century South theater was the first multi screen, meaning more than two screens (twin), theater. It had more than two for sure when it first opened.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:49 AM

Century South was the first San Antonio theatre with more than two screens. We thought John Santikos was nuts when he announced a 4 plex for the south side. The south side kept drive ins busy, but all the south side indoors went away with the dawn of TV. Santikos definitely got the last laugh! Century South was a hit from day one. When Century South first opened, it ran American movies on three screens, and Spanish language films on one. That policy lasted a few weeks, and nothing but American films were shown from then on. Century South eventually added two screens, then later split two of the larger auditoriums to make it an 8 plex.

I was working at North Star Cinema at the time. Century and North Star were running "Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid" day and date, which was rare for the time. Most theatres had exclusives runs. We had to dump the VERY popular Butch Cassidy after only a couple of months to get "The Reivers" as our Christmas feature. Century South kept Butch Cassidy, ran it exclusively, and it had a run there of more than a year! That's when it dawned on everyone that more screens were better. "The Reivers", while a good movie had just a six week run, and Butch Cassidy outgrossed it handily.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:37 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Century South was the first San Antonio theatre with more than two screens. We thought John Santikos was nuts when he announced a 4 plex for the south side. The south side kept drive ins busy, but all the south side indoors went away with the dawn of TV. Santikos definitely got the last laugh! Century South was a hit from day one. When Century South first opened, it ran American movies on three screens, and Spanish language films on one. That policy lasted a few weeks, and nothing but American films were shown from then on. Century South eventually added two screens, then later split two of the larger auditoriums to make it an 8 plex.

I was working at North Star Cinema at the time. Century and North Star were running "Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid" day and date, which was rare for the time. Most theatres had exclusives runs. We had to dump the VERY popular Butch Cassidy after only a couple of months to get "The Reivers" as our Christmas feature. Century South kept Butch Cassidy, ran it exclusively, and it had a run there of more than a year! That's when it dawned on everyone that more screens were better. "The Reivers", while a good movie had just a six week run, and Butch Cassidy outgrossed it handily.
OMG! Talk about memories...I remember driving all the way up (it seemed at the time like it was hours!!!) to the North Star Cinema to see "The Sound of Music" with my Girl Scout troop....we grew up poor on the south side, so I NEVER had been to North Star Mall before....I remember thinking how beautiful and fancy it was...but SOOOOO far away! LOL

Old 01-26-2013, 09:20 AM

I saw it all at Century South Theaters.. Ice Station Zebra, Easy Rider, Billy Jack, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid...the Getaway. Watched some of those many, many times. Of course my greatest movie memories are from the Majestic, Texas and Aztec Theaters downtown. The movies didn't matter so much as the atmosphere was surreal.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post

I'm sure many watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid many times as i did. Great insider info ...thanks for sharing.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
OMG! Talk about memories...I remember driving all the way up (it seemed at the time like it was hours!!!) to the North Star Cinema to see "The Sound of Music" with my Girl Scout troop....we grew up poor on the south side, so I NEVER had been to North Star Mall before....I remember thinking how beautiful and fancy it was...but SOOOOO far away! LOL
"The Sound Of Music" STILL holds the record for the longest run in San Antonio. It played at North Star Cinema II for 88 weeks! That's sixteen weeks short of two years! There was a teenage boy who came to see TSOM virtually once a week throughout it's run. The San Antonio Light did a story on this young man, and his obsession with the movie. There was a picture with the story of the manager giving the young man a pass to see the movie for free, good for the rest of it's run.

I just thought of another drive in not mentioned. The Rigsby Drive In. It opened in 1950, and closed in 1964. It was San Antonio's only segregated drive in. It had separate facilities for black, and white customers. It was closed before my foray into the theatre business, and I never even saw a show there, but it was built at the same time, by the same company, and the screen tower was identical to the one at the South Loop 13 Drive In.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:34 PM

I remember the Rigsby too and am sure we went there. I've been to most of SA's Drive-in's and many neighborhood indoors. I think the Rigsby was located where the housing was that attracted lots of attention years back. High crime and such. May have been here..

Google Maps

But, I truly have no memory of where precisely it was (at least not now). Strangely I had a dream about it sometime ago. I recall how it was laid out in the dream. If I could just dream reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio