Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 10:52 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times

Advertisements

Never knew Rolandos had a Broadway location. They were always just around the corner from Chris Madrids on Hildebrand. For a short time, La Louisiane had a location on San Pedro right next door to the old Spanish Galleon near Northstar Mall. I don't think they were there but maybe a year and it was closed.
Christis, what fond memories I have of that place. When I was a kid, that was a super treat to be able to go to Christis. Most often it was my grand parents that took us. Loved the remoulade salad dressing. About the only time an adult could make me choke down a salad was at Christis. Now that was good eating. After they sold it out to another owner who apparently thought it it needed to be upper classed, it was crap.
The only El Rancho I ever ate at was on Goliad Road just off of Fair in a strip center. The corn tortillas with butter were a kids delight and we kids pigged out on them. But then came along the Taco Hut and the bean tacos were hard to beat. It was closer to the house on Avondale anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
I don't recall a Rolandos on Hildebrand near Chris Madrids on Blanco. I remember seeing George Gervin in Trucker's general Store. We went to the Spanish Galleon a couple times. Christie's was great everyone loved the Remoulade Sauce. Trapper the El Rancho you speak of may have been this one. Actually, just south of Southcross on Goliad. Though there were several. This was an El Rancho before all were renamed El Tipico. There could have been one on Fair...

Southcross google map - Google Maps

Old 02-15-2013, 06:10 AM

136 posts, read 331,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Christie's was great everyone loved the Remoulade Sauce.
Southcross google map - Google Maps
The recipe for Christi's salad dressing is available in several places on the net. It's more complicated than you'd think, but if you've never had it, it's too good not to try. Now if I could just find some shrimp as big as theirs were (about 4-5 to a pound) , I'd be a happy camper.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:28 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
SATX56, Rolandos has been on Hildebrand since the 80's. It was their first location. It started out as just a very small place with a window- no dining in at all. Their pitch was the flour tortillas were huge and they put LOTS of goodies in them. One was enough for most folks. Haven't been there in quite a few years so I can only assume they are the same. That was a favorite place to pick up lunch when I worked down in that part of town.
The El Rancho on Goliad would have been farther north. From the Google map, it looks like it's still a restaurant by the name of La Puntada. Across Goliad would have been an HEB which is now Advanced Auto Parts. At Fair Ave would have been a Handy Andy where Fair Cross Center is now. El Tipico has always been El Tipico, just not the horrendously ugly building that it is today. Fortunately, you don't eat the building. Another place I haven't been to in decades and will need to cure that issue soon. Let's see, I could have lunch at El Tipico and pick up a burger at Floyds for supper.....HHHMMMMM.
At one time, the corner of Fair and Goliad, where University Dialysis is now, was a dirt race track. It was there only 2 years. It was probably around the early 60's, maybe 60-61. My grandfather and I raced his car there a few times. They never put up grandstands, just a dirt field that folks went in circles around. But it was fun. Never seemed to attract many lookers though. Learned how to drift a car there.
Behind Goodyear Tire at Fair and Goliad was a Texas Dept of Public Safety office there. I got my drivers license there but it took a few tries to pass. I think the biggest issue was this 14 year old kid who had built this 34 Ford coupe hot rod was showing up in it for the driving test. The first time I showed up in my moms 59 Chevy, I passed. I remember failing the first time because I had stopped for the red light and the car moved forward a couple of feet after stopping. I was behind several other cars so it wasn't like I was in the intersection. Next time I failed I was 5 inches from the curb on the parallel parking stunt. Never could find out in the manual where it says you have to be 4" or closer but that's what the trooper said. Not that passing the test really mattered, I was driving anyway and had been for years. Geez, I was already driving 2 ton trucks with 2 speed axles for a couple of years and any farm equipment was a breeze.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:57 PM

136 posts, read 331,935 times
[quote=TrapperL;28258524] the corner of Fair and Goliad,

That corner was the hub of my existence in the 50's. I got my first job at the Handy Andy's (30 cents and hour bagging groceries), later worked at the Toy Box at the McCreeless center, and then to Oran Evan's Sinclair station on the corner of Fair and Nopal. I bought my records at the music shop across from the Center, we ate at the cafeteria (Luby's or Mammys?)next to the Toy Box, and I also learned to drift my car around that dirt circle across from Handy Andy's. I took girls to the 'sock-hop' at St. Margret Mary's, and took more than a few to the top of the hill at Hiawatha and Walters streets to make out afterwards. The whole section bound by Walters, Channing, Gevers, and Fair was just scrub brush at the time. Man, that was a long time ago.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:12 PM

47 posts, read 87,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
SATX56, Rolandos has been on Hildebrand since the 80's. It was their first location. It started out as just a very small place with a window- no dining in at all. Their pitch was the flour tortillas were huge and they put LOTS of goodies in them. One was enough for most folks. Haven't been there in quite a few years so I can only assume they are the same. That was a favorite place to pick up lunch when I worked down in that part of town.
The El Rancho on Goliad would have been farther north. From the Google map, it looks like it's still a restaurant by the name of La Puntada. Across Goliad would have been an HEB which is now Advanced Auto Parts. At Fair Ave would have been a Handy Andy where Fair Cross Center is now. El Tipico has always been El Tipico, just not the horrendously ugly building that it is today. Fortunately, you don't eat the building. Another place I haven't been to in decades and will need to cure that issue soon. Let's see, I could have lunch at El Tipico and pick up a burger at Floyds for supper.....HHHMMMMM.
At one time, the corner of Fair and Goliad, where University Dialysis is now, was a dirt race track. It was there only 2 years. It was probably around the early 60's, maybe 60-61. My grandfather and I raced his car there a few times. They never put up grandstands, just a dirt field that folks went in circles around. But it was fun. Never seemed to attract many lookers though. Learned how to drift a car there.
Behind Goodyear Tire at Fair and Goliad was a Texas Dept of Public Safety office there. I got my drivers license there but it took a few tries to pass. I think the biggest issue was this 14 year old kid who had built this 34 Ford coupe hot rod was showing up in it for the driving test. The first time I showed up in my moms 59 Chevy, I passed. I remember failing the first time because I had stopped for the red light and the car moved forward a couple of feet after stopping. I was behind several other cars so it wasn't like I was in the intersection. Next time I failed I was 5 inches from the curb on the parallel parking stunt. Never could find out in the manual where it says you have to be 4" or closer but that's what the trooper said. Not that passing the test really mattered, I was driving anyway and had been for years. Geez, I was already driving 2 ton trucks with 2 speed axles for a couple of years and any farm equipment was a breeze.
I had so much trouble passing my drivers test. I had a 1961 Allstate Crusaire that I was gonna drive to highschool. Bicycles weren't cool for Highschool dudes. I went for my test at the place on Babcock (Callaghan? can't remember!) The trooper took a ballpoint pen and marked my hand. One Stripe ONE HONK! LEFT TURN.. Two stripes TWO HONKS! Right Turn.. Three Stripes THREE HONKS.. Stop as fast as you can without skidding. I was so confused I didn't know what was going on. I failed really bad. I bought this really big race car helmet . The trooper thought it was so big I couldn't hear him!

Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 PM

472 posts, read 1,076,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
Well the matchbook cover has 2632 Broadway on it and there's an old postcard from La Louisiane on E-bay right now that says 2632, so I'll stick with that.
La Louisiane was at the corner of Breckenridge and Broadway,...There was an auto air conditioning repair shop behind it,...

Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 PM

10 posts, read 16,611 times
The Katy train. Don't even remember the correct name of the line but I rode the Katy from San Antonio to Dallas and back many times. As a child. Sometimes alone and sometimes with my cousins. We were terrible, running from one car to another, kidding with the porters. The Pullman cars were magical with their little compartments of beds. We pressed the buttons for assistance and then ran.

We stood between the cars, balancing on the moving floors of the connections. One time, a worker joined us, stuck out his arm and caught a mail bag hanging from some contraption in a small town next to the railroad. We were in awe at his nerve and bravery. He smiled at us - three pre-teen girls dressed alike.

Amtrak doesn't even come close to the experience of the old trains.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:25 PM

61 posts, read 119,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
SAFREAK, were you going to St Gregorys? Mother Mary Magdalene was the principal there in 1963. I left St Gregorys after 4th grade and went to Dellview. I was in 5th grade then, too. Maybe we were classmates in K-4.
No, I attended St. Patricks 1st thru 6th grade, then on to Hawthorne Jr. High

Old 02-15-2013, 07:34 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
The recipe for Christi's salad dressing is available in several places on the net. It's more complicated than you'd think, but if you've never had it, it's too good not to try. Now if I could just find some shrimp as big as theirs were (about 4-5 to a pound) , I'd be a happy camper.
Thanks Boss. Seems like we may have found it once but it was overwhelming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio