Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 08:14 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,607,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctsat View Post
My mother's family moved to SA from Rio Grande City in the early 20's when she was very young. She often talked how amazing it was for her and her brothers and sisters when they saw for the first time the " neon cowboy " roping the steer above the Joske's store on Alamo st. They lived within walking distance and loved going just to see the light show.

I found this which was posted by TrapperL (06-12-'12)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,657 times
I can remember Santa at Joskes downtown in the early 70's. I seem to remember it being like the scene in "Christmas Story". My Dad sold sewing machines in the Joskes in North Star Mall, lower level near escalators and the snack bar. I also remember the Whopper Burger across from Central Park Mall at 410 and Blanco. I liked the orange neon of the car racing around the top of the building. Whopper burger kept Burger King out of San Antonio for years due to name infringements. Spent graduation night 1983 at Maggies on San Pedro, took my wife there on our first date in 1990. Remembering the Spanish Galleon restaurant on San Pedro (looked like the back half of a sailing ship complete with sails). Never ate there! I worked at Super Shops (speed shop) on San Pedro and Jackson Keller in 84,85 and 86. Remember the original Taco Cabana at San Pedro and Hildebrand (great fajitas then, not so much now). What about the Beef Baron on lower level of Central Park! To many memories for one post!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,360,098 times
Default Yes, but,

Can you remember when the big flsahing bulb electrical sign caught fire and burnt at Central Park Mall in
the early seventies? A gigantic plume of smoke could be seen from many parts of town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperShops Guy View Post
I can remember Santa at Joskes downtown in the early 70's. I seem to remember it being like the scene in "Christmas Story". My Dad sold sewing machines in the Joskes in North Star Mall, lower level near escalators and the snack bar. I also remember the Whopper Burger across from Central Park Mall at 410 and Blanco. I liked the orange neon of the car racing around the top of the building. Whopper burger kept Burger King out of San Antonio for years due to name infringements. Spent graduation night 1983 at Maggies on San Pedro, took my wife there on our first date in 1990. Remembering the Spanish Galleon restaurant on San Pedro (looked like the back half of a sailing ship complete with sails). Never ate there! I worked at Super Shops (speed shop) on San Pedro and Jackson Keller in 84,85 and 86. Remember the original Taco Cabana at San Pedro and Hildebrand (great fajitas then, not so much now). What about the Beef Baron on lower level of Central Park! To many memories for one post!

Old 07-17-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Can you remember when the big flsahing bulb electrical sign caught fire and burnt at Central Park Mall in
the early seventies? A gigantic plume of smoke could be seen from many parts of town.
I remember the big carousel ride at Central Park Mall in the lower
level & upstairs was a Handy Andy Store. On the other side at North Star
Mall where Macy's is now situated, there was an H.E.B. store & nearby was
a drugstore . I don't recall if it was Sommers Rexall or Walgreens. But at
the soda fountain, they made the best tasting chocolate malts.
I used to work at Joske's North Star in the books & camera dept.
I saw actor Darren McGavin ( played the father in "A Christmas Story" )
shopping at Joske's during the Christmas holidays .

Old 07-19-2013, 05:36 AM

216 posts, read 395,637 times
I'm pretty sure it was a Walgreens but don't remember an HEB. Yes, there was a Handy Andy at Central Park Mall upper level in the front. Does anyone remember an HEB at North Star Mall

Old 07-19-2013, 06:20 AM

4,299 posts, read 7,162,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctsat View Post
Does anyone remember an HEB at North Star Mall
Yes, it was at the west end of the mall. I think it was one of the original tenants when the mall opened in 1960. The Foley's/Macy's store swallowed up the footprint of the former HEB.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Yes, it was at the west end of the mall. I think it was one of the original tenants when the mall opened in 1960. The Foley's/Macy's store swallowed up the footprint of the former HEB.
Was Las Palmas Mall on the west side the first mall for San Antonio ?
Remember Wonderland Mall on Fredericksburg Rd. ?

Piggly Wiggly on the south side around Zarzamora st.?
One of my first jobs as "pkg. boy" was here.

The Kelly Drive In ?
Dollar car-load night ?

Another job was delivering this ...

My biggest concern was this...

los perros de la "neighborhood"

Last edited by ranchodrive; 07-19-2013 at 11:07 AM..

Old 07-19-2013, 12:07 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,769,054 times
First building I remember with the name mall on it was McCreless Mall but not the one on Southcross. It was at Fair and New Braunsfels, southeast corner across from Record Rendezvous, IF you remember the record shop. That would have been in the early 50's. North Star opened in 1960 which was 5 years earlier than Wonderland. The McCreless Mall on Southcross, I'm not sure when it opened. I was a kid and didn't have a drivers license yet. It would have been close to 1960 though.
Finally found Las Palmas. It opened in 1957. It might just be the first that we think of as a mall to open in SA.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
First building I remember with the name mall on it was McCreless Mall but not the one on Southcross. It was at Fair and New Braunsfels, southeast corner across from Record Rendezvous, IF you remember the record shop. That would have been in the early 50's. North Star opened in 1960 which was 5 years earlier than Wonderland. The McCreless Mall on Southcross, I'm not sure when it opened. I was a kid and didn't have a drivers license yet. It would have been close to 1960 though.
Finally found Las Palmas. It opened in 1957. It might just be the first that we think of as a mall to open in SA.
I remember the name "Record Rendezvous " mentioned on KONO or KTSA.
Never went there... I too, didn't have a driver's license .
Took the via bus with my school bus pass...to go downtown.

I spent many saturdays downtown @ the movie matinees...
Downtown stores were my "malls" for me !
And the "Coney Island" was the place to eat hotdogs with chili !

Old 07-19-2013, 06:57 PM

136 posts, read 329,865 times
In 1958 I worked at the Toy Box , which was right next to the Luby's cafeteria in the old mall. If I recall correctly the "new" mall opened in late 1959.

As long as you want to do trivia about the area, how about any one remember the Goliad Rivera Pool?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio