Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 09:32 PM

262 posts, read 910,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Nix54, thanks for the post. I wasn't aware that the Milam was even built before the SY Tower. But the article is not exactly right. Carrier used a water chiller to achieve the cooling effect. His invention did not use the new gas called Freon that was invented by Migdley in 1928. The Milam is what is called an evaporative cooled building, the name coming from Carrier himself. It uses a water chiller and the chilled water is then piped throughout the building to a radiator where fans would circulate the cooled air. Carrier apparently could get low enough temps from his unit to also be able to control humidity, an important factor in the cooling effect. The SY Tower is the first fully air conditioned office building using the new, much safer gas, freon. But in researching this, I found that it was not the first commercial BUILDING in the US to be mechanically cooled. That honor actually goes to the J L Hudson Store in Detroit Mi. in 1924, before either of the San Antonio buildings where open. This building used 3 centrifuge type water chillers invented by Carrier.
So I guess we both got to live and learn today.
I always thought the Milam Bldg originally used blocks of ice to cool the bldg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 09:36 PM

More info on the ac at the Milam....

https://www.asme.org/getmedia/b0ab0f...-Building.aspx

Old 08-03-2013, 09:37 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
Parking garage? Where was it? That old parking garage across the street from the Express News?
The garage is inside using a section of the first couple floors I believe. It's a drive thru street floor with valet parking. Another first was it being a high-rise hospital with a built in garage I think was the distinction.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
The garage is inside using a section of the first couple floors I believe. It's a drive thru street floor with valet parking. Another first was it being a high-rise hospital with a built in garage I think was the distinction.
Kinda like the Nix .

I wonder if the parking garage at the Nix still has the old KMAC neon clock still hanging and working.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
Kinda like the Nix .

I wonder if the parking garage at the Nix still has the old KMAC neon clock still hanging and working.
Oh sorry! Thought we were talking about the Nix..... The KMAC clock was still there i believe in 2011 when I was last there. No wait must have been 2008. If you meant The Milam's parking garage i do not know.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:09 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikijane View Post
I think North Star was the first major mall in San Antonio. It was built circa 1961. McCreless and Wonderland were definitely in place by 1962. Central Park was built in 1967 and opened around then or 1968; it was anchored by a high end Handy Andy, Mickey Mantle's "Home Cooking" (?) restaurant, and Sears and Dillard's. My favorite stores (I was a student at Churchill HS) were 2 very small clothing stores. One was called "Hang it On" (or something like that) and its sister store (name is back in my mind's archives somewhere!). The Fox Central Park Cinema was built around then - definitely there in 1970 when I work there as a cashier/ticket sales.

I bought my first Jimi Hendrix Lp at a big Woolworth's type store at Central Park, Sept 1968 - starts with a G (not Gibsons) but I cannot remember its name right now! Old age sucks!
The Woolworths like store was Murphys. I think it was GC Murphys.

The Fox Twin Theatre opened in 1969 with the premiere of "Viva Max". That movie was filmed here in San Antonio. The Fox was opened and operated by National General Theatres. Chill Wills officiated at the grand opening.

The cornerstone near the boxoffice had a likeness of Chill Wills on it.

I went to Robert E Lee High School at the time and worked at North Star Cinema. My favorite Central Park store at the time was Spencer Gifts.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:00 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Oh sorry! Thought we were talking about the Nix..... The KMAC clock was still there i believe in 2011 when I was last there. No wait must have been 2008. If you meant The Milam's parking garage i do not know.
Yep - the clock was still there 6 months ago, anyways.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:06 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
Anyone remember mazzio's pizza on Gilbeau and tezel in the late 80's.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Yep - the clock was still there 6 months ago, anyways.
BTW, Nix is building a satellite hospital or clinic of some sort at S. Presa and S.E. Military Drive. Construction hasn't begun yet.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:43 PM

91 posts, read 323,726 times
Default Northern Hills Shopping Center

During a phone conversation with Mum last night I was told the vast majority of the Northern Hills Shopping Center at Thousand Oaks and Nacogdoches has been demolished. The only portion being saved is that with Gold's Gym. Also being torn down is half of another strip center fronting Nacogdoches. What's going in there? Yet another Wal-Mart...

I've spent lots of time at Northern Hills thru the years. Original tenants included Food City, a chain drug store (Sommers, later Revco), TG&Y, and Western Auto. Food City later became Warehouse Grocery, TG&Y became Thrift Town years later, Revco went out of business, etc.

Info on the new development can be found at the following link:

Northern Hills Wal-Mart

Macgrad89

Last edited by Macgrad89; 08-11-2013 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: fix html...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio