Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 09:00 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
Thanks, Huck. Anyone know when the school closed or why?
TMI didn't close. They moved to a new campus in far northwest San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 10:31 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Yes, I remember. The Centeno's was on the opposit end of the property from where Home Depot is now. Can anyone guess what the property that this big strip center was known as before it was developed? It had an unofficial purpose. Later a small baseball diamond was built on the property but before that it had another purpose.
Used to spend so much time in that strip having fun with skateboards. Of course it was totally paved by then. Still have dreams that take place in that very strip, oddly.

Would love to know what was there before...

Old 02-21-2014, 01:17 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Oh, I found the answer, a very nice one too.

Quote:
Yep, I remember all of those things. I went to Connell Junior High but Mr. Connell was no longer there. I did have him as a Principal in elementry school at Forbes Elementry. I believe that was his last teaching job before he retired. He was really a nice man and well like by all of the students and staff. Ask your step father if he remembers Kite Field. It is where the Home Depot is now at Fair Ave. and IH 37. In kite season the sky would be full of kites over that field. Lots of Kite fight competitions. We did the drainage tunnel thing too on bicycles with spotlights. That little strip center (Little McCreless) also was the home of Teen Town. That was really a blast.
Primo, where's your ad from 1962?

Old 02-21-2014, 01:59 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Oh, I found the answer, a very nice one too.
Bingo! We have a winner. I forgot to mention this was not supposed to be an open book test. Never the less the prize goes to Merovee. I'm not sure what you have won, you'll have to ask one of the moderators what your prize is.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:46 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,874 times
Quote:
Bingo! We have a winner. I forgot to mention this was not supposed to be an open book test. Never the less the prize goes to Merovee. I'm not sure what you have won, you'll have to ask one of the moderators what your prize is.
In honor of Kite Field...

I would suggest this for Winning Prize...
http://www.kitelife.com/wp-content/u...24-150x150.jpg
SnappyBob provides the strings...
& with the weather being so nice...the two of you
can go fly a kite.....Cheers

Last edited by elnina; 10-23-2014 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: copyrighted

Old 02-24-2014, 08:38 PM

457 posts, read 661,028 times
Thanks, Ged.

TMI has a long and colorful history (and used to have a great view from their old campus).

Hope they can survive in the politically correct environment. Seems few have....

Old 03-03-2014, 05:21 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,726 times
anyone remember and have stories of Jimmy Lytle??

first image is one of his cars as it looked when it was terrorizing the Austin Highway and Broadway in the early 60s
http://www.dragracingonline.com/nowthen/images/3.jpg
this next image is after he built the all fiberglass version
http://www.cruisenewsonline.com/ROT-BigAl-TN.jpg

Last edited by elnina; 10-23-2014 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: second photo taken by Steve Reyes. Copyrighted note was removed.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:41 PM

472 posts, read 1,076,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
anyone remember and have stories of Jimmy Lytle??

first image is one of his cars as it looked when it was terrorizing the Austin Highway and Broadway in the early 60s

this next image is after he built the all fiberglass version

I think I saw that second car picture in the Don Gartlit's museum in Ocala Fl. My ex boss and I went to a show in Cypress Gardens when I saw that car.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:20 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
The car in the top pic is obviously not street legal but I don't remember it at all. May have been a hair early for me. I had my 34 coupe in 61 but I wasn't allowed to leave much more than the neighborhood with it for the first year I had it running. Parents were afraid I'd race on the streets. I do remember the bottom car, a dragster with a V12 Allison making 1600HP as I recall. If nothing else, it was loud! Imagine what it could have been with modern tires. Those were the days of the guy with the most savy won races. Now it's a case of the best programmer.
Was by the old S X Callahan the other day and thought of you, Mud. Almost forgot where it was. I picked up many a carb parts there in my early days. Remember San Antonio Speedshop? They did the clutch for my coupe. Most folks couldn't push it down enough to shift it into gear- it was pretty stout. Had the guys at A&B Axle drop the front end on the coupe by 2" and we reversed the shackles on it. It was a nice raked job when it was finished. Best run was 11.13 at 113mph. Not bad for 292 cubic inches of Chevy go power. The car weighed next to nothing.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:14 AM

847 posts, read 2,231,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco2 View Post
I think I saw that second car picture in the Don Gartlit's museum in Ocala Fl. My ex boss and I went to a show in Cypress Gardens when I saw that car.
yeah it's in garlits museum.

Jimmy loaned it to garlits, then when he wanted it back, garlits said no.

so Jimmy built an exact replica for a multi millionaire in Arizona.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The car in the top pic is obviously not street legal but I don't remember it at all. May have been a hair early for me. I had my 34 coupe in 61 but I wasn't allowed to leave much more than the neighborhood with it for the first year I had it running. Parents were afraid I'd race on the streets. I do remember the bottom car, a dragster with a V12 Allison making 1600HP as I recall. If nothing else, it was loud! Imagine what it could have been with modern tires. Those were the days of the guy with the most savy won races. Now it's a case of the best programmer.
Was by the old S X Callahan the other day and thought of you, Mud. Almost forgot where it was. I picked up many a carb parts there in my early days. Remember San Antonio Speedshop? They did the clutch for my coupe. Most folks couldn't push it down enough to shift it into gear- it was pretty stout. Had the guys at A&B Axle drop the front end on the coupe by 2" and we reversed the shackles on it. It was a nice raked job when it was finished. Best run was 11.13 at 113mph. Not bad for 292 cubic inches of Chevy go power. The car weighed next to nothing.
I do remember S A Speedshop.
did they do your clutch work when they were on Zarzamora or out on IH35??
did J E do the clutch??

here's another pic of the steel bodied Big Al
http://www.dragracingonline.com/nowthen/images/lead.jpg

you don't remember Big Al, maybe you remember the 32 5 window
he built it in Michigan in 1956 and brought it along when he moved here
to Cloverleaf in Alamo Heights.
it was red and yellow.
354 Chrysler set back a foot or so
8 two barrels, Herbert roller cam, and 13:1 Jahns pistons
4 speed trans, and a Vertex magneto
JimLytle32_1.jpg (image)
JimLytle32_2.jpg (image)

I have a very long story from the guy that bought the 32
he was stationed here with the Air Force
took the car back to New York when he got out

I have a lot more info, but looking for more..........
here's a quote from a friend of Lytles -

"When we first fired Big Al on the streets of San Antonio,
I was standing on the left running board watching the front oil pressure gauge
and ready to prime the massive carb with about a quart of gas.
The plan, [with advice on the phone from Art Arfons]
was to make sure we had oil pressure at both ends of the 6 foot long engine
while pushing it to turn over the engine.
When Jim saw pressure from the back seat and I saw 40psi on the front gauge,
we gave each other a thumbs up and I dumped the fuel in the carb as Jim hit the switch for the mag.
The engine fired immediately and I damn near fell off the running board
as I grabbed at the open roof panel slicing my hands on the remaining chicken wire and slats.
We drove it around for several minutes sounding just like a P51
making a low pass over the residential neighborhood"

Last edited by elnina; 10-23-2014 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: Please STOP posting copyrighted pictures. Post links instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio