Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2016, 03:17 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The place is called Hermann Sons Steak House and is on the south side of 90 across from Mummes. The place went thru a remodel about 6-7 years ago and is not the same anymore. Nice place but the food is iffy, sometimes great, sometimes not so great. The Britsche bunch had also opened a restaurant on top of the hill in Castroville at the motel there. It was pretty decent for upper end eating. That was maybe 15 years ago. Nice place where you could look out at night all the way to SA. As I recall, they hit some bad financial times and just about lost everything. FWIW, if you enjoyed taking pics at the bank in D Hanis, it's gone. Burnt nearly to the ground. That bank was straight out of a western movie only it was real. If the McBees in Jourdanton is the same as the one in SA, best of luck with that. Been to the one in Jourdanton twice and both times were horrible, and that's a compliment. GROSSLY over cooked to the point of being hard as a rock. If I hadn't paid so much for it it would have been garbage and I would have stopped somewhere else for a decent meal. The womanly "services" available at the drive thrus in Laredo is probably what you're thinking. You can even get take out by the hour. Seems the local police are blind to it but then again, the guys I know down there are police and they frequent BoysTown so often they know the girls by first names. Not my thing but apparently they like it. How their marriages survive is beyond me as all of them I know are married and the wives are aware of the "trips" across the border. Was good to see the old Sears murals again. Too bad Sears is in such bad shape and probably will be gone next year along with K Mart. It would have been neat to actually see the murals hanging once more in a Sears. I thought it was painted on the building too and not on canvas.
Now I think i recall seeing Hermann Son's there. Guess I have been out that way not too many years ago. I've never seen anything at the top of the hill in Castroville. Just over the hill is the Quihi cut of which I'm very familiar with ...or was. I agree B&B's pricey and there sauce is way too sweet. Worst BBQ I've ever had was in Corpus last trip a 2 or 3 months ago.

So Laredo is about the same as Nuevo Laredo... Driving through El Paso I thought I was in Mexico. Can't imagine what Laredo is like. Unforunately, I've not been through Hondo or D'Hanis with time to wander around with a camera in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 10:15 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,363,388 times
Hi Mud......long time no see. I've been out of circulation taking care of my mom.....and improving my health. Things are better, but it's been a long rough road. Hope you're doing well. Glad to see you on the forum. Just got my access back today. I can't believe I remembered my passcode!!! I impressed myself for the first time in a long time!

Old 09-02-2016, 10:27 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,363,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylpearson View Post
i went to around the bend a few times. i knew a girl who had a couple of horses she kept at a place we called "The Arena". had several stalls for horses, out somewhere south of babcock rd, on pembroke and abe lincoln area. it was all mesquite and cactus back then, in the late 70's and very early 80's. there was also a huge rock home out there that a guy named Bob Luby stayed. he was supposed to be related to the owner of the famous Luby's, here in town. girl that owned the horses used to barrel race with a paint horse. name was 'Sunny'. her other horse was a quarter named 'Whiskey'. i rode her quarter horse in the battle of flowers parade with her. she rode her paint. that was in 1980-81. i have a few pics that survived. but i don't know if it really had a name or not. those were some fun times. i remember her quarter horse spooked once out on huebner road. i though i would never get that sob to stop running! the girls name was sandra james. she lived in a trailer park off the old babcock-prue road.
I'm helping a teacher at Rudder middle school with the history of the land surrounding the school. You mentioned a riding school in this area and a large house. Can you be more specific? Rudder is off Horn (new street) Between Babcock, Abe Lincoln and Pembroke due South of Prue Rd/Babcock intersection. I'm sure all of that is new development and was mostly part of a ranch and unemproved land....but there are quite a few interesting landmarks in the area they might like to know about. Fredericksburg Rd is full of interesting stories. If anyone knows about anything in the area of that middle school I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm going to try to find the original land owners if I can get my hand on my maps. It has all the original Spanish Land grants on it. Sadly, the DAR library is not available right now, but I'm sure I'll be hanging around the Texana Dept at the Downtown Library.

If anyone has talked to Mudpuddle lately, tell him hello! He is one of my favorite history buds here on CD! Talk about someone that knows SA.....he's a walking encyclopedia. Hello to everyone.....glad to be back.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:41 AM

82 posts, read 103,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
So Laredo is about the same as Nuevo Laredo... Driving through El Paso I thought I was in Mexico. Can't imagine what Laredo is like.
Having visited Laredo several times, Laredo is pretty much like a small San Antonio. Like any other cities it has its nice parts and its no-so-nice parts. But even the worst parts aren't as bad as Nuevo Laredo.

Laredo is a nice city with nice people. It has grown a lot the past 10 years.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:48 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vater View Post
Having visited Laredo several times, Laredo is pretty much like a small San Antonio. Like any other cities it has its nice parts and its no-so-nice parts. But even the worst parts aren't as bad as Nuevo Laredo.

Laredo is a nice city with nice people. It has grown a lot the past 10 years.
Yes, it's been 40 years since I've been to Laredo. Last trip to the valley a few years ago Harlingen has grown like crazy and apparently McAllen is a metropolis. Who'd a thunk?

Old 09-06-2016, 12:01 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,591 times
The neighborhood in Laredo that I grew up in,
is gone.
Literally.

Obviously the people and buildings with time will change.
What I have noticed is that the land changes as well.

In San Antonio.
I lived on the South side near Bolner’s store on Flores St.
The name of the street is Flato. Still there.
But the land by the San Antonio River in that area
has eroded completely.

There was also a backroad that we used to walk to
Herff Elementary that no longer exists.

Now when I read about history and that the folks on the hills
spotted Santa Anna’s soldier marching in from the south.
It makes sense. The land has changed more or less.

I also discovered that the area by La Villita nearby the old Transit
Tower building, used to be known as Bowen’s Island.

I’m sure there are folks who will correct me on what I have
written.

And I welcome it because it is interesting subject and thread.

Thanks.

Last edited by ranchodrive; 09-06-2016 at 12:18 AM..

Old 09-06-2016, 02:35 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,193,169 times
Uncovered Texas As It Was!

Old 09-06-2016, 02:37 AM

Bowen's Island

Bowens Island - Journal of San Antonio

Old 09-06-2016, 02:41 AM

El Agua de la Vida: San Antonio's Water

Old 09-06-2016, 01:35 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,591 times
Great links, thank you.

I recall a book, “San Antonio Uncovered” by Mark Rybczk.

Interesting reading about the Alamo city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio