Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2017, 06:02 PM

457 posts, read 661,028 times

Advertisements

Thanks Rancho and 86. Now I need to figure out when it was torn down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 03:44 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
Rancho,

Thanks for the reply. I believe it was/is SAISD, as it was almost downtown at the time.

Interesting you mentioned the Bowie display. If memory recalls, S A was known by the title of one of the missions.
I'm certain Mud, or another "long timer" ( notice no mention of the word OLD! ) can/will clarify the issue.
I think it was actually "San Antonio de Béxar".
FUN FACT: Was named after St. Anthony of Padua

Old 01-18-2017, 10:57 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
San Antonio River was first and named after St. Anthony on his feast day.

Then San Antonio de Valero (The Alamo after a Mexican military company) was named after a marquis.

San Antonio de Bexar Presidio and Villa Bexar (first civil settlement but remained unchartered.)

Finally San Fernando de Bexar became the first chartered settlement and was the first name of San Antonio.

Last edited by Merovee; 01-18-2017 at 11:26 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 02:30 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,874 times
1836 map:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/w...BastidaECU.jpg

Did the folks at the time of the battle of the Alamo know the city as "Bejar"
and not San Antonio? Thanks.

Last edited by elnina; 01-26-2017 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: Don't post copyrighted pictures

Old 01-19-2017, 05:27 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,063 times
Default Bud,

Well , you don't have to make a big stink about it just to clarify !
Quote:
Rancho,

Thanks for the reply. I believe it was/is SAISD, as it was almost downtown at the time.

Interesting you mentioned the Bowie display. If memory recalls, S A was known by the title of one of the missions.
I'm certain Mud, or another "long timer" ( notice no mention of the word OLD! ) can/will clarify the issue.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:53 PM

Is Shilos (sp) deli still open? (Haven't been downtown SA in years.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Is Shilos (sp) deli still open? (Haven't been downtown SA in years.
Yes.
Same location.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/schilos-del...en-san-antonio

Old 02-22-2017, 05:41 PM

Rancho,
Thanks for the link. Guess I'm becoming a bit jaded by on-line reviews, 1 - 3 stars seem to include every concealable
fault one could find, solid 5 stars seem to represent repeat customers. Although not addressing Schilos specifically,
it seems the majority of on-line reviews invite negative input..." didn't have Jewish Rye on the menu..! "...food was bland.." otherwise would have been "...food was too spicy, etc.."

I've not dined as Schilos in over 50 years, so there have obviously been some changes. The fact that they are still there and at the same location is a good start. ( I still miss THE best German Food restaurant EVER...the former Luchows in Manhattan! Had been in business since the late 1880's(?), had a massive fire in the 1970's, rebuilt under new ownership, lost or ignored what had originally made them famous, resulting in going out of business shortly thereafter. Sad to see such a great restaurant fold. ( I'm reminded that San Antonio once had two of the best breweries around...no more...
the closest is now in Shiner (the mix of products is remarkable!) Gone But Not Forgotten describes the situation perfectly!

Old 02-22-2017, 08:34 PM

Shilo's Deli was a favorite of Mr. Emilio Nicholas.
He was the man in charge of KWEX when it was located at 411 E. Durango.
This was before Univision and was known as Spanish International Network.

I used to run errands for him. He always gave me enough to buy what ever I wanted for myself.
One Christmas he gave me $500 bonus because I always came through and was fast.

I miss the original Teka Molino that was located where McAllister Fwy crosses over N. St. Mary's
as you head north towards Brackenridge park.

Last edited by ranchodrive; 02-22-2017 at 08:44 PM..

Old 02-22-2017, 09:49 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
We don't get downtown much, but were there last year, and went by for lunch. Wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it - I got the reuben with some red cabbage AND german potato salad, forgot what the better half got, but we both loved our meals! I'm 4th-generation German, and can well remember Oma's cooking - and theirs is as close to hers as I've ever found. The wife spent 10 years in Germany during the 60's, and she agreed that the flavor was spot-on. MOST folks have had "American German" (similar to Tex-Mex in that unless you know the root taste of the food, you really don't understand how it should taste). We're heading back downtown in a few weeks explicitly to do lunch there! I LOVE their German hot mustard (do NOT put too much on!!), and keep a jar of it here at the house!! IMO, anyone that doesn't like it just doesn't like old-school German food. Used to go there with my Grandfather back in the 60's, and sit around in one of the booths in a back corner with his old buddies as they swapped stories about "old San Antonio".

There's another place SOMEWHAT local worth a try, as well - Friesenhaus up here in New Braunfels. We went to their old location several times, and generally found it unappealing and lacking in flavor. We tried it again shortly after they relocated, and I've got to say that it's a HUGE improvement - don't know if they finally found cooks that knew what they were doing, or what - but we now go there every 2-3 weeks. Try their Texas Schnitzel if you like your food with a little "kick" to it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio