Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 03:45 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,360,098 times

Advertisements

Your forgetting the old Circle 81 Drive-in Ranch.Where it was always $1.50 a carload. Every night.
Out Nogalitos Rd. just south of Division st., where it intersects Nogalitos. They had a huge lit Marquis
out front. The family used to go to a lot of Drive inns. Later on in life however...

We used to hide other high school kids in like that also,to avoid payment for a ticket. Concealed in the trunk of the car.
"Who wants to sneak in?"
One time... I steered my 1964 Pontiac in reverse gear straight back into the exit of the Bandera Drive -in after the ticket office had closed. So as to appear marginally less suspicious. There at Loop 410. Kids at the high school found out, someone had seen me do this,so it became humorous. I was only making $17.00 a week.

Another time at the Bandera drive-in theater... I did not look to notice who we might have parked the car next to that evening before the movie. I had taken my girlfriend to the Bandera Drive-in and later on during the movie I was sucking on her, oh well never mind that was too much information. Anyway as I looked up from my diversion from the movie , incredulously, there was my very good buddy's next door neighbor lady, Mrs. Long. We both recognized each other immediately . She could see right down into the car from on high atop the front seat of her full sized Dodge Van... Busted.

Somehow Rancho in your picture you've posted here on your profile you appear, I don't know, to be Redneck to me.
Didn't you write that your mother had a German father from New Braunfels I think, or not? Maybe you are somehow distantly related to Texas Redneck here on the forum except that you actually are better looking than Texas Redneck.
No offense meant.

Yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
Remember the Drive-in theaters?

When I lived on the west side, we went to the Varsity.
Living on the south side, I recall the Kelly, Lackland, and
Charro drive-in.
There were other drive-ins.
Never went much to the Mission Twin.

Sometimes they had "dollar-a-carload” night.

Other times they charged by person.
I recall my uncle hiding in the trunk to save on money
when the entire family went.

I miss the aroma of cotton candy, hotdogs and popcorn
at the drive-in snack bar during intermission. Sometimes
we’d take our own snacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 09:02 PM

457 posts, read 655,566 times
I returned occasionally for visits to S A during the 1960's. One visit, I noticed the Prince was no longer there!

Rancho, I don't recall the theater at Alamo plaza. Seems there was a visual presentation about the Alamo at a
location on Alamo Plaza, however, I never saw it.

The Empire was directly across the street from the Coney Island Hot Dog location. If you were standing at the
Empire Box Office and did a 180 degree turn, you were facing the doorway to Coney Island. I'll always remember
the smell of stale beer coming from the Roosevelt Grill next door to Coney Island.

If I recall, the State Theater was located in the Stowers(sp) furniture building, another one I never visited.
A pity so many S A landmarks are now parking lots!

Old 07-20-2017, 09:10 PM

457 posts, read 655,566 times
S A seemed to have an unusually high number of Drive- Ins. The ones my hang-out friends and I frequented were;
The San Pedro, (including the usual "stufffed Trunk"!). Sneaking in the Alamo on the Austin Hwy ( scooting down the hill, sometimes into the pool of water behind the Alamo Drive In...there was a huge open space under the back fence...free movies!) The Fredricksburg, fully paid entry! Those were our usual Drive-in hang outs.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:29 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,607,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Your forgetting the old Circle 81 Drive-in Rancho.

Somehow in your picture you've posted here on your profile you appear, I don't know, to be Redneck to me.
Didn't you write that your mother had a German father from New Braunfels I think, or not? Maybe you are somehow distantly related to Texas Redneck here on the forum except that you actually are better looking than Texas Redneck.
No offense meant.

Yours
Well... since you ended with “no offense meant”...I won’t take any.
And thanks for not going into details about your girlfriend

I’ve been told I look like somebody all my life. I’m sure I ain’t the
only one that has been told this.

I mentioned that my grandmother was of German decent (Gruen), My grandfather
of Mexican descent (Monterrey). I’m 6’ 3” mostly brown coloring although my nose and
neck gets red from too much tennis (sorry el).

But that’s as redneck as I get. I’m not related to anyone on the forum.
I love all colors, styles and traditions by the good folks from Texas.
I’ve been all over and this is the best place for me...heat and all!

I didn’t mention the other drive-in theaters because we went mostly to the ones
by the neighborhood.
The Palace Theater was directly in front of the Alamo.
All I remember is that my father found a wallet on the floor near the entrance.
The owner rewarded him with $75. My dad put a down payment on a 40s
used car. The family made many trips to Mexico on that old jalopy. It’s a
miracle we never had a breakdown with the motor.

The car lot was on S Flores Street where the current San Antonio Housing Authority
is now located.

Last edited by ranchodrive; 07-20-2017 at 11:54 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 12:15 AM

1,691 posts, read 4,092,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
S A seemed to have an unusually high number of Drive- Ins. The ones my hang-out friends and I frequented were;
The San Pedro, (including the usual "stufffed Trunk"!). Sneaking in the Alamo on the Austin Hwy ( scooting down the hill, sometimes into the pool of water behind the Alamo Drive In...there was a huge open space under the back fence...free movies!) The Fredricksburg, fully paid entry! Those were our usual Drive-in hang outs.
Off the top of my head I came up with twenty drive ins in San Antonio. The Fredericksburg Road, Alamo, Trail, Mission, the old San Pedro Outdoor on San Pedro at Rampart and the new San Pedro Outdoor on 281 at Bitters, the Towne Twin, Varsity, Lackland, Kelly, South Loop 13, Circle 81, Capitan, El Charro, Fiesta, Bandera Road, Valley Hi, Roxy, Judson 4, and Parkair aka Hi-Park.

There was also the Starlite in Schertz, the Tower DI in New Braunfels and the Dixie in Seguin.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:18 PM

3 posts, read 3,184 times
There used to be a big music cd store at the colonnade that went out of business.. it was where bicycle heaven is now. I thought CD exchange but those are still around. Does anyone remember what it used to be?

Old 07-23-2017, 11:57 AM

Default Canary Islander,

Rancho, I am of Canary Islander descent myself.... About the girlfriend, at the drive-in
well uh........... )) .....

Quote:
Well... since you ended with “no offense meant”...I won’t take any.
And thanks for not going into details about your girlfriend

I’ve been told I look like somebody all my life. I’m sure I ain’t the
only one that has been told this.

I mentioned that my grandmother was of German decent (Gruen), My grandfather
of Mexican descent (Monterrey). I’m 6’ 3” mostly brown coloring although my nose and
neck gets red from too much tennis (sorry el).

But that’s as redneck as I get. I’m not related to anyone on the forum.
I love all colors, styles and traditions by the good folks from Texas.
I’ve been all over and this is the best place for me...heat and all!

I didn’t mention the other drive-in theaters because we went mostly to the ones
by the neighborhood.
The Palace Theater was directly in front of the Alamo.
All I remember is that my father found a wallet on the floor near the entrance.
The owner rewarded him with $75. My dad put a down payment on a 40s
used car. The family made many trips to Mexico on that old jalopy. It’s a
miracle we never had a breakdown with the motor.

The car lot was on S Flores Street where the current San Antonio Housing Authority
is now located.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:36 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,607,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Rancho, I am of Canary Islander descent myself....
"It’s a small world after all!”.

One of my descendants, Petra Margarita de la Garza, the daughter of a
prominent Canary Islander family.
She married James L. Trueheart in 1848.

JAMES L.Trueheart (1815-1882).

James L. Trueheart, Perote prisoner and diarist, son of George Washington and Fanny (Overton) Trueheart, was born on August 12, 1815, in Virginia. He moved to Texas in 1838 and settled at San Antonio, where he became clerk of the district court in 1841.

When the entire court was captured in September 1842 by Mexican troops under Adrián Woll, Trueheart was taken to Mexico with other prisoners and incarcerated for two years. During the period he was held in Perote Prison he kept a diary that was edited by Frederick C. Chabot and published in 1934 as The Perote Prisoners. Trueheart reached Veracruz on his way back to Texas on March 29, 1844, and by September 1844 was again acting as district clerk.

He also had a real estate business that represented eastern interests in San Antonio. He was elected county assessor and collector in October 1846, and in 1848 became county clerk, a post he held until 1850. He married Petra Margarita de la Garza on February 15, 1848.

By the marriage he became owner of a tract on the San Antonio River on which was located San Francisco de la Espada Mission. He improved the land, built an irrigation system, and placed a number of families there on small farm plots. He died in San Antonio on November 30, 1882.

Mr. Trueheart is buried in San Fernando Cemetery #1.

Last edited by ranchodrive; 07-23-2017 at 12:53 PM..

Old 07-23-2017, 04:13 PM

Default Interesting,

OK. Now I really see a resemblance between you, and in that old ancient Portrait, Rancho.
I have relatives in San Fernando.
Dad is 91 in Oct. He will be buried in Fort Sam Houston. Someday. Not now.

He is doing fine. Sharp as a tack he is. Live to be one hundred- so the Doctor said.

My buddy who was a nuclear arms inspector out at the old Medina Base has passed, however.
87 yrs he was. Some stories he had. Especially from the day of the mishap-enormous military mistake , explosion from back in the sixties.

Quote:
"It’s a small world after all!”.

One of my descendants, Petra Margarita de la Garza, the daughter of a
prominent Canary Islander family.
She married James L. Trueheart in 1848.

JAMES L.Trueheart (1815-1882).

James L. Trueheart, Perote prisoner and diarist, son of George Washington and Fanny (Overton) Trueheart, was born on August 12, 1815, in Virginia. He moved to Texas in 1838 and settled at San Antonio, where he became clerk of the district court in 1841.

When the entire court was captured in September 1842 by Mexican troops under Adrián Woll, Trueheart was taken to Mexico with other prisoners and incarcerated for two years. During the period he was held in Perote Prison he kept a diary that was edited by Frederick C. Chabot and published in 1934 as The Perote Prisoners. Trueheart reached Veracruz on his way back to Texas on March 29, 1844, and by September 1844 was again acting as district clerk.

He also had a real estate business that represented eastern interests in San Antonio. He was elected county assessor and collector in October 1846, and in 1848 became county clerk, a post he held until 1850. He married Petra Margarita de la Garza on February 15, 1848.

By the marriage he became owner of a tract on the San Antonio River on which was located San Francisco de la Espada Mission. He improved the land, built an irrigation system, and placed a number of families there on small farm plots. He died in San Antonio on November 30, 1882.

Mr. Trueheart is buried in San Fernando Cemetery #1.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:29 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,701,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnot51 View Post
There used to be a big music cd store at the colonnade that went out of business.. it was where bicycle heaven is now. I thought CD exchange but those are still around. Does anyone remember what it used to be?
Any chance it was Hastings? Just a wild guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio