Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 02:30 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times

Advertisements

Northern Tool over Harbor Freight any day...less Chinese junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 05:47 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default Mutt Radicke,

Sure I remember them, too. Radicke.
What about Mr.C Auto Parts? This was a store where the guy behind the counter knew cars and surely knew what to give you without a computer. Many times go to the part and hand it over without a book to look at. I don't think they are in business any more, Mr.C that is.
I knew a couple of brothers who worked at a Mr.C and used to soup up Ford Falcons by putting V-8's in the things. Man those little sleepers could fly. I recall once....
One day in the early seventies-we were on Austin Highway, four of us in a Falcon when up pulls a Road Runner.
With four people in the car the tiny Falcon pulled him by at least 7 or 8 lengths. They never expected this.

Nowadays I think those brothers are auto restoration business someplace out FM 476 the last time I knew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Anyone remember Otto Dukes? They had more stuff for power tools than anyplace I've seen - good luck trying to find someplace like that today.

Or Radicke Auto Parts on Fredericksburg - "Mutt" Radicke, then his son Bubbie.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:15 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Sure I remember them, too. Radicke.
What about Mr.C Auto Parts? This was a store where the guy behind the counter knew cars and surely knew what to give you without a computer. Many times go to the part and hand it over without a book to look at. I don't think they are in business any more, Mr.C that is.
Yeah - used to do a lot with them, as well. They had great warranties, too.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:21 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
But of course I remember Otto Dukes, the name was huge here a while back.
Harbor Freight is the closest one gets today unless one moves north.
Alas it is a sign of the times. The Chinese rule.
Ugh....Harbor Freight isn't even close - they have the cheapest garbage you can possibly find. I'll order it in from out of state when I need to get something good if that's what it takes!

Old 09-13-2017, 12:54 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default Yes , it is surely junk,

I once bought a pneumatic chisel at Harbor Freight which I had to return the very same day I purchased it.
At 8 dollars the power tool was 1\5 the price of a Craftsman.
When I attempted to use the new it chisel would not stay in the gun unless you had it pressed against the bolt I was trying to break off. If you accidentally vibrated off the bolt or went at the bolt off center the chisel would fly out every time.
I got the bolts off anyway and returned it where they took it back without a question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Ugh....Harbor Freight isn't even close - they have the cheapest garbage you can possibly find. I'll order it in from out of state when I need to get something good if that's what it takes!

Old 09-22-2017, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,457 times
The teepee steakhouse! For one sad year my mother, brother and I lived in San Antonio after my parents separated and we were so out of money --- Somehow my mother knew Ms. Ludema Williams -- she would invite us to the teepee as her guests -- and I especially remember my brother and I so so so so happy to cut into a lovely steak and baked potato dinner which we never could have afforded in the "real world" --- Ms. Williams knew somehow how bad things were or maybe she was just that way -- but how generous and sweet of her --- I remember like it was yesterday -- although i was 13 --- how delicious those meals were and how special it felt to be guests of the house for an evening -- I think we went ten or twelve times that year --- kindness to those who are struggling is seldom forgotten.....<3

Old 09-30-2017, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,262 times
Thank you for sharing your memories! I am the youngest daughter of Charles and Carolyn Winans. As I sit here, trying to write her obituary-she just flew off this realm last week-I was searching for some details of the stories with which I grew up.
Such strong, wonderful, and adventurous parents I had! I would love to read more, if ya'll are still willing.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:08 PM

457 posts, read 660,758 times
Does anyone remember Jack's A & W Root Beer stand on East side 0f West Ave, a block or so south of Basse?

Interesting that Jack hired male car-hops, because customers would pull in, order a Root Beer and sit and chat
with the female carhops for hours! ( The location had parking for about 6 cars).

Actually made really good hamburgers, the A&W franchise was the easier (cheaper?) way to open a burger joint!

Old 10-08-2017, 08:10 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,240 times
I remember A & W but I don’t recall going there.
I do remember the Prince Drive-In on Broadway close to the Playland Park, across
was the Butter~Krust plant.
Reason I remember this location is because I also worked there. Later the name was changed to
Mustang but not quite sure.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:47 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,236 times
This is an interesting thread, but I have to confess that I have not read all of the 472 previous pages :-) Also, I'm a Houston guy, but maybe some of my memories will be interesting. My mom lived for a while in SA in the late 40s while my dad was shipped off to Korea as an army medic. That was before I appeared on the scene.

I remember a family trip to SA when I was a kid and we saw My Fair Lady at a theatre near Breckenridge Park, I think. I was impressed by the Japanese Tea Garden, but I dunno if it was ever as nice after the freeway was put in next to it.

As a young teen, I had a ViewMaster 3-D disk of SA that was pretty cool. Houston Street before it went down and came back.

Alluding back to an earlier post, I remember exploring Old D'Hanis back in the 70s. Very cool. I'm not sure how many of those old stone buildings still exist. Somewhere, I probably still have photos of the ruins of the Catholic church there with prickly pear cactus growing from the limestone walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio