Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2018, 05:19 AM

847 posts, read 2,232,230 times

Advertisements

1936 SWBell phone book -

Western Auto 126 Villita.

That's across from the Smith Young Tower.

I do believe Sears was their first tenant.

On the ground floor to the left of the main entrance.

I restored the ornamental plaster in the lobby several years ago.

that building has some really fine Embellishments from top to bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 12:08 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
1936 SWBell phone book -

Western Auto 126 Villita.

That's across from the Smith Young Tower.

I do believe Sears was their first tenant.

On the ground floor to the left of the main entrance.

I restored the ornamental plaster in the lobby several years ago.

that building has some really fine Embellishments from top to bottom.
Thanks *mud* that explains it.

I'm thinking my uncle might have said something like...
"It was a big store like Montgomery Wards or something!"
That "something" was probably Sears!

The Sears store that I remember was located where the current location of
the city library exists. You can't miss it, the exterior of the building has been
painted "enchilada" red.

Last edited by ranchodrive; 02-10-2018 at 12:19 PM..

Old 02-12-2018, 11:12 AM

136 posts, read 331,935 times
"I haven't even SEEN, a blank 8 track tape in over fifty years. Easier it is to find a horned toad in San Antonio."

I make custom play list 8 track cassettes for local custom car shop and antique car club members. I get my blanks from Track Shack :

Blank 8-Track Tapes at 8 Track Shack 8 Track Shack

Don't throw the players away, value is finally going up; a clean, working one will sell for about $200 now.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:10 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Dang it! I just threw my tapes and player-recorder away. I never really took to the new fangled cassettes
back in the early seventies.
When music was free to download off the internet I bought a memory device and downloaded hundreds of songs - so I figured I had it made now. Music was free. What the heck.
Threw the 8 tracks away. Then I accidentally ran the I-pod through the washer. All is lost, no more free music....No way to fix the I-Pod. SHOOT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
"I haven't even SEEN, a blank 8 track tape in over fifty years. Easier it is to find a horned toad in San Antonio."

I make custom play list 8 track cassettes for local custom car shop and antique car club members. I get my blanks from Track Shack :

Blank 8-Track Tapes at 8 Track Shack 8 Track Shack

Don't throw the players away, value is finally going up; a clean, working one will sell for about $200 now.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:05 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Quote:
a clean, working one will sell for about $200 now.
Good grief, I looked online for one like mine, a Panasonic RS 808 in like new condition. And yer right, they're asking $200.00 and up for that model. Considering the wife packed up all of the 8 tracks and quad tapes, I wouldn't stand a chance of finding any of the old blanks but I know there are several there. I guess if you keep something long enough, somebody will find value in it.
Mine looks just like this one:

Old 02-13-2018, 11:48 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
I used to do the same thing, play the same song or album, over and over again. Until the needle very literally wore the plastic down into the grooves of the record. It was a wonder the old phonograph records would play at all.
Still doing the same as an adult, until even I, can stand it longer.
My psychiatrist claims that I am the only person to have ever Aced the Rorschach test. He wanted to conduct experiments on me but I refused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Been to counseling, he said I drove him crazy. Anyway, records were not the problem but then they never said anything but don't come back. Actually, I started collecting the 45s as a kid back in the 50's. My mom had already started with the 78s and I inherited her collection. As 45s were being phased out, people knew I would take them so I got loads and loads just dumped in my lap. Record Rendezvous over on Fair Ave was pretty much my supplier back then. Neat little hole in the wall record shop. I was there every week getting my KONO Hit List. Still have a few around here...if I could only find them again. After I made my big "purchase" of a 45, I'd burn up Goliad getting home to play it. Most often I play a record non-stop for hours or until I was threatened with my life if I didn't play something else. I do the same thing at YouTube these days or have the USB play something over and over. Learned to play a few songs like that and watching the guys play.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:00 AM

Was watching Wings (1927 silent film) on TCM.
Outdoor location shots were made in San Antonio.

Wings production team shot scenes at Kelly Field, and along Culebra Road
where poplar trees were spliced to telephone poles to make the area
look a little more like the French countryside. The movie crew stayed at
the St. Anthony.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:23 PM

San Antonio, Jan 5, 1968

Shot with an Instamatic camera from inside the car at the corner of S. Flores & what used
to be Durango Blvd. To the right of the photo, part of the original red brick building
still exists.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:12 PM

56 posts, read 52,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
Was watching Wings (1927 silent film) on TCM.
Outdoor location shots were made in San Antonio.

Wings production team shot scenes at Kelly Field, and along Culebra Road
where poplar trees were spliced to telephone poles to make the area
look a little more like the French countryside. The movie crew stayed at
the St. Anthony.
Thanks Ranchodrive, I just finished watching "Wings" (1927). That's funny about the trees strapped to telephone poles. The director William Wellman was intimately familiar with early Army aviation. His stories move along briskly & he told it like it is/was, but he'd sprinkle in realistic snapshots of life in the service during wartime. (I wasn't there but my Dad was a Seabee.) Around 30 minutes there's a scene with Gary Cooper where they struggle to eat the rock-hard chocolate bar rations (has a tenuous connection with SA, FSH & surrounding region). Also squeezed in a joke or two during a traditional French medal pinning ceremony, and took time to show us the snappy salute styles of the various countries.

Making so many movies (50+) Wellman honed his craft & hit his stride early. There were tearjerkers, tongue-in-cheek satires, the original Star is Born, The Public Enemy with Cagney. Later he made some of my favorite WWII era movies: Battleground (set in Bastogne) & The Best Years of our Lives. Also Darby's Rangers & the one about Ernie Pyle played by Burgess Meredith.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:18 AM

Warehouse Find:

Chester Slimp was the owner of Slimp Oil Company located on Carolina St.
The building is still standing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio