Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 04:15 PM

1,690 posts, read 4,090,630 times

Advertisements

Great photo, BudB!

I remember when Atlantic Richfield took over Sinclair around these parts and changed them to Arco stations.

Remember the different names for the different grades of gas? Gulf had Gulftane (cheap), Good Gulf (regular), and No Nox (premium). Texaco had Fire Chief (regular), and Sky Chief (premium). Shamrock had Roadmaster (regular), and Sky Master (premium). Phillips 66 had Sixty Six (regular) and Flight Fuel (Premium).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 07:19 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,527,352 times
La Fogata used to be a Key Gas station and a Texas Whip. Berlanga's Upholstery shop was a gas station. I knew Joe Berlanga and went to school with his son Roland. On Vance Jackson Road--Lots of Gas Stations on that road!

Old 12-21-2009, 07:28 PM

I remember when Sigmor Shamrock would fill your tank for you, give Top Value trading stamps (double stamps on Wednesday), and give you a nice glass with a fill up. We had a large set of these glasses. They came in three sizes,

Old 12-21-2009, 07:34 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,011,162 times
Does anybody remember "Let's Go To The Races" ... the game from HEB? You would get your horse racing game piece and then watch the race on TV. Pretty fun back then.....

Old 12-21-2009, 07:43 PM

I remember "Let's Go To The Races"! I watched it weekly. Never won anything, though.
Remember when KONO (now KSAT) TV had a bingo game? It was hosted and run by Ken Rau.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:33 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,450,327 times
It's amazing how there used to be a gas station on almost every other corner. Sometimes all four corners of many intersections. I remember the photo you posted Bud! Love to have more of the old station photos like that. I remember an old station at Fitch and Pleasanton Road. The old tall glass cylinder pump sat there for many years after the station closed. I remember when stations also had hand pumps on the side of the bldg. You could get white gas , kerosene , coal oil , bulk oil ..
Yep, used to get free glasses and stamps at some. Maps were always free. "Let's go to the races" !! How many people listened to those not realizing the races had already been run. LOL .
Stamps..Texas Gold , Top Value , S&H Green.. Seems like all HEB's had a Brunner's and a Top Value or Texas Gold redemption Center next door.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:59 PM

4,295 posts, read 7,159,621 times
Ahhh-yes, trading stamps. Lots of grocery stores gave them out, including HEB & Handy-Andy. Lots of gas stations, too. It seemed like it was the mid-1970s when they were discontinuing them en masse.

The last holdout I remember was Waitz' Model Market. They finally discontinued S&H Green Stamps in the early 1980s. There was an S&H redemption center on Frederickburg Rd. near or in Balcones Heights at that time. I think it closed shortly after Waitz' discontinued the stamps.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:28 PM

Piggly Wiggly gave S&H Green Stamps. Handy Andy gave out Top Value stamps, and Texas Gold were from HEB

Old 12-21-2009, 11:40 PM

The first self serve gas pumps in San Antonio were installed at Stop N Go convenience stores around 1970. They were called "Fill 'em Fast".

I worked for a guy that opened four self service gas stations in early 1972. One was an old Texaco at Trudell and West Ave., another was at Culebra @ General McMullen, and it had a ROBO car wash, another was an old Texaco at Castroville @ Cupples, and the last one was at Guadalupe @ Brazos. It had a ROBO and a self service car wash. We named the stations "Handy Gas". No one wanted to pump their own gas. We would be three cents a gallon cheaper than the Shamrock down the street, but they would fill your tank, give Top Value stamps, and a glass. They got at least a dozen customers to every one of ours!

Old 12-21-2009, 11:43 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,450,327 times
Waitz' Model Market on New Braunfels just north of McNay and Austin HWY. Most north siders probably weren't aware there was a Model Market on the south side. It was on Pleasanton Road just south of Military Drive. Griff's burgers are still just across a little side street from it. First Orange Julius I ever saw was built on the south end of that parking lot. The Model Market Bldg is now a night club.. the tiny Orange Julius Bldg still stands in the lot. It's a cleaners now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio