Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 10:10 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times

Advertisements

[quote=BudB;13004820]
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post

Alas, it's a done deal and has already begun on Brooks proper. The old bowling alley is already gone plus anything in that path and yes, New Braunfels will connect to 410. The good news is that it will make Hangar 9 Museum more accessible as it remains as the only trace of a once historic flight training center. Legends like Charles Lindbergh, Claire Chennault, and "Tex" Hill spent time at Brooks plus many others. Brooks Field is quickly becoming just a memory after nearly a century of service. Meanwhile Loop 13 becomes a series of strip malls and there can never be too many of them, right? Or as my old comic page hero Pogo Possum once said, "We have met the Enemy and He is Us!"
Yep !! I know it's going into the base just didn't know how far. All the lights are set up at Military Drive. I bowled in the old bowling alley way back in the 70's. Had an aunt that worked in the bank there. Still haven't looked for the old Hangar 9 yet. I'm sure Lindbergh, Boyington and possibly Amelia Earhart flew from Stinson and Brooks. They had an airship hangar towards the sw part of the base in early 20's. Winds blew a dirigible into the hangar damaging it. Soon after they were sent up to New Jersey or somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 06:15 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,735 times
I remember my dad taking us to see when they imploded the water tower at Brooks. Also, went and saw JFK at Brooks before he went to Dallas

Old 02-23-2010, 10:44 AM

237 posts, read 850,964 times
Default Brooks & the "Slough"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I remember my dad taking us to see when they imploded the water tower at Brooks.:
We too watched them try to bring down the faded red & white checkered, old concrete water tower that sat atop the hill across Loop 13 from Brooks since the hill was higher off base. There were demolition guys who tried blasting the legs out from under the towering old hulk but the first few times it would not fall. Memory says that they eventually had to pull it down with chains and trucks but I'm not sure exactly how it was done. It took longer than planned but it did come down. Another big event out there a few years earlier was a mass paratroop drop when C-119 Flying Boxcars still made up the 433rd Troop Carrier "Alamo Wing" at Brooks. Don't recall where the airborne unit came from but a large formation of a couple dozens Flying Boxcars approached Brooks from the north and the guys began jumping as they crossed Loop 13. Each plane could carry about 60 men so the math says possibly over a thousand jumpers. Not sure how many men actually jumped that morning but it was a bunch and the wind had picked up and they were coming down all over Brooks, out on the runways and beyond Goliad Road to the east. Some may have landed in the "Slough"(rhymes with cow) as Salado Creek has been called in that part of town for as long as I can remember.

ps; here's the old blimp shed that somebody recalled. The postcard was made in 1940 or so and the hangar was torn down in 1942 at the beginning of WW II to make room for more runways.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-brooks-field-blimp-hangar.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-brooks-pc.jpg  

Old 02-24-2010, 06:18 AM

6 posts, read 13,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
That's a picture of the Frontier on Goliad and Lasses. The Flame was on Military Drive and was owned by the Keller family. We used to race cars a lot when they were building IH37 south but it wasn't complete. This was just south of Military Dr.

And Joe Harrison Honda orginally was on S. New Braunfels in the Denver Heights/Highland Park area. And there was a Yamaha dealer on S.W.W. White near Rigsby.
My family owned the Yamaha dealership on Fredricksburg road "Yamaha Sports Center" in the '70's next to Cool Crest Golf and "Kawasaki of San Antonio" on West Ave. before it moved to I10 near Wonderland.. My uncle owned Cycle World on Broadway outside 410 in the '70's--he sold Honda, Harley Triumph, Bultaco, Penton.. Remember these shops??

Old 02-24-2010, 10:24 AM

178 posts, read 458,743 times
That should be where I bought my first bike, a Honda 450CB in 1972, I think. Store was on the east side of Broadway just a few blocks north of 410 wasn't it?

Old 02-24-2010, 01:39 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemoto22 View Post
My family owned the Yamaha dealership on Fredricksburg road "Yamaha Sports Center" in the '70's next to Cool Crest Golf and "Kawasaki of San Antonio" on West Ave. before it moved to I10 near Wonderland.. My uncle owned Cycle World on Broadway outside 410 in the '70's--he sold Honda, Harley Triumph, Bultaco, Penton.. Remember these shops??
Wow! I don't recall one by Cool Crest but remember Cycle World. Bultaco ..haven't heard that name in many years. Used to be an old dirt track on Old Pleasanton Road at 281 South. It was across the Hwy from Southside High School in the 60's. Ever see Ducati's ?? New a couple neighbors early 60's had them.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:31 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector28 View Post

No, I'm sure it was Graham's now.

If Graham's was on El Monte, I can see the probable route we used.

I rode again for awhile in the 70's,
quit and picked it up again in '99
and been riding ever since without incident.

My buddy's family owned and ran a toy store
on the west side of Fredericksberg Rd. in Balcones Heights.

Near that time I took guitar lessons at Dellview Music Center.
My teacher was Don Pack.
I can't find Dellview on modern maps anymore

Graham's was on Blanco
butt, if you are rolling to the West on El Monte
and keep on straight across Blanco Rd
you would just about run up right into the building.
It's little more than a shack, and it is still there.
What are you riding these daze??
toy store in Baloney Hts.
don't remember that.
gotta a better location than West side of Fred Rd??
(unless you are talking about the Craft/Gift Shop right there at Spenser Lane)
Don Pack still teaches guitar at Dellview Music Center.
It's in Dell Village.
West side of Vance Jackson between Freiling and Latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemoto22 View Post

My family owned the Yamaha dealership on Fredricksburg road "Yamaha Sports Center" in the '70's next to Cool Crest Golf and "Kawasaki of San Antonio" on West Ave. before it moved to I10 near Wonderland..

My uncle owned Cycle World on Broadway outside 410 in the '70's--
he sold Honda, Harley Triumph, Bultaco, Penton.. Remember these shops??
Uncle John??

I believe JM moved the HD dealership to Fredricksburg Rd briefly.
In the bulding where Mutt Radicke's was until a few months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post

Wow! I don't recall one by Cool Crest but remember Cycle World.

Ever see Ducati's ??
I believe it would be the building with the Art Deco front just to the North of Cool Crest.

Only way to get a good look at a Ducati is if it is parked.

Otherwise its nothing but a taillight getting smaller and smaller.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:39 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
Don Pack still teaches guitar at Dellview Music Center.
It's in Dell Village.
West side of Vance Jackson between Freiling and Latch
I took lessons at Dellview back in the 80's, my instructor was John Grell and he played in a band called Winterkat. I can't believe that shop is still open. Wow!

Old 02-24-2010, 09:27 PM

9 posts, read 37,620 times
Remember any of these?

YouTube - Kens Open 1982

All 80's must go! LOL!!!!

YouTube - Commercials 1980 San Antonio KENS TV

YouTube - KSAT 12 Newswatch 1980 Open

Old 02-24-2010, 09:29 PM

9 posts, read 37,620 times
San Antonio Savings

YouTube - 1980s San Antonio Savings Commercial
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio