Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 10:17 AM

262 posts, read 910,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Nice front view of the Greyhound Terminal and the Bluebonnet. Had forgotten it was there. On the right side of photo across from the Terminal was a place called "Green Gate" or Green Door. Remember as a kid seeing it from across the street. Was a burlesque or strip club ..think it had a sign with a devil and pitchfork in front. Funny the things a pre teen remembers. Think the Pig on St. Mary's is open under different name.
I remember the Green Gate, it was across from the Gunter on St. Mary's street almost next to Hertzberg Jewelers.

Tommy's Inferno was next to the Texas theater on Houston street... it was just a pitch black door entrance with flames and a whole bunch of b&w 8x10 photos of the dancers.

Does anyone remember the Joy theater? Tony's Mirror Shine? National Shirt Shop? The taffy machine in the window under the Majestic theater canopy?

I am still searching for an old St. Michael's School patch & pictures of Coney Island!

Thanks again for all your responses.

Last edited by Nix54; 03-07-2010 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: Correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 10:30 AM

4 posts, read 10,226 times
Memories of the 80's...mmmm. At that time lived in the Menchacas over by Culebra.Those are gone 2.
Could see the drive in from my home at night. Was where HEB is now,
Those were the days.
By the way any 1 remeber or lived at the Menchacas at that time?

Old 03-07-2010, 10:33 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,136,258 times
Quote:
Nice front view of the Greyhound Terminal and the Bluebonnet. Had forgotten it was there. On the right side of photo across from the Terminal was a place called "Green Gate" or Green Door. Remember as a kid seeing it from across the street. Was a burlesque or strip club ..think it had a sign with a devil and pitchfork in front. Funny the things a pre teen remembers. Think the Pig on St. Mary's is open under different name.
Ain't that the truth, satx!!! My St.Son always remembers "Dirty Sally's Nude" on Austin Hwy. Too bad it closed down by the time he turned of legal age to patronize it!!! LOL!!!

Old 03-07-2010, 12:10 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
I remember the Green Gate, it was across from the Gunter on St. Mary's street almost next to Hertzberg Jewelers.

Tommy's Inferno was next to the Texas theater on Houston street... it was just a pitch black door entrance with flames and a whole bunch of b&w 8x10 photos of the dancers.

Does anyone remember the Joy theater? Tony's Mirror Shine? National Shirt Shop? The taffy machine in the window under the Majestic theater canopy?

I am still searching for an old St. Michael's School patch & pictures of Coney Island!

Thanks again for all your responses.
Green Gate and yep...Tommy's Inferno. Must have the two combined in my memory. Thanks Nix! As a kid we went to the Texas and Majestic theaters a lot. I remember Hertzberg's Jewelers, Joy Theater, Tony's, National Shirt and S.A. Trunk. I remember the Taffy machine well. I just couldn't recall where it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Ain't that the truth, satx!!! My St.Son always remembers "Dirty Sally's Nude" on Austin Hwy. Too bad it closed down by the time he turned of legal age to patronize it!!! LOL!!!
Well, I'm sure others have taken it's place...

Old 03-07-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Green Gate and yep...Tommy's Inferno. Must have the two combined in my memory. Thanks Nix! As a kid we went to the Texas and Majestic theaters a lot. I remember Hertzberg's Jewelers, Joy Theater, Tony's, National Shirt and S.A. Trunk. I remember the Taffy machine well. I just couldn't recall where it was.

Well, I'm sure others have taken it's place...
For years I thought it was called Tommy's Green Gate too , but the other day I had a flash from the past... I was imagining I was again waiting in line one Saturday morning in front of the Texas theater to attend a monthly Pepsi Cola show. I had in my hand, 6 Pepsi Cola bottle caps the entry fee to the free movie. As I waited in line I was in front of the Tommy's Inferno Door. The door may have been an entry way into the club in the basement. Don't know for sure cause I never saw the door opened.

The taffy machine was in a window of a narrow one room sweet shop east of the Majestic theater ticket box. The taffy machine was always tumbling taffy. Back in 1967 you could buy 3 pieces of wrapped taffy for a dime. They would give you the taffy in a small white bag. Great stuff to eat as you were waiting for the bus home.

As you passed Tony's Mirror Shine on Houston street you would get the whiff of Solox. They must have had over 10 seats. All the soldiers would be sitting down getting a shine. Tony's was between National Shirt Shop and the Parisian Women Fashions.

National Shirt Shop always had great clothes in the display windows. They had like a gallon size bottle of English Leather next to its big wooden box. That cologne would have lasted a lifetime.

Last edited by Nix54; 03-07-2010 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: Correction

Old 03-07-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
For years I thought it was called Tommy's Green Gate too , but the other day I had a flash from the past... I was imagining I was again waiting in line one Saturday morning in front of the Texas theater to attend a monthly Pepsi Cola show. I had in my hand, 6 Pepsi Cola bottle caps the entry fee to the free movie. As I waited in line I was in front of the Tommy's Inferno Door. The door may have been an entry way into the club in the basement. Don't know for sure cause I never saw the door opened.

The taffy machine was in a window of a narrow one room sweet shop east of the Majestic theater ticket box. The taffy machine was always tumbling taffy. Back in 1967 you could buy 3 pieces of wrapped taffy for a dime. They would give you the taffy in a small white bag. Great stuff to eat as you were waiting for the bus home.

As you passed Tony's Mirror Shine on Houston street you would get the whiff of Solox. They must have had over 10 seats. All the soldiers would be sitting down getting a shine. Tony's was between National Shirt Shop and the Parisian Women Fashions.

National Shirt Shop always had great clothes in the display windows. They had like a gallon size bottle of English Leather next to its big wooden box. That cologne would have lasted a lifetime.
Most of my recollections of downtown are from age 13 maybe and younger.. I remembered Mantattan Restaurant being across the street from the Majestic. Think my mother said no, it was next door. I recall eating upstairs there and my parents getting stuffed crab usually. Am I the only one to remember the "Chimp" downstairs in the basement of Neisner's!! Talk of the town in Early 60's anyhow.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Most of my recollections of downtown are from age 13 maybe and younger.. I remembered Mantattan Restaurant being across the street from the Majestic. Think my mother said no, it was next door. I recall eating upstairs there and my parents getting stuffed crab usually. Am I the only one to remember the "Chimp" downstairs in the basement of Neisner's!! Talk of the town in Early 60's anyhow.
The Manhattan restaurant was next to the Majestic, not across from it. Remember the blue metal sign that hung over the sidewalk? That sign must have had over one hundred twinkling little light bulbs. The Manhattan was always busy.

Neisner's at the corner of Broadway & Houston was always fun to go to as was Grant's, Kress & Woolworth's. I remember the Neisner's monkey was young looking. and always romping around in its wired cage.

Neisner's used to sell gold fish in those Chinese food cardboard boxes with a wired handle.

Neisner's had those nice curved glass windows as you walked in the store.

Last edited by Nix54; 03-07-2010 at 02:20 PM..

Old 03-07-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
The Manhattan restaurant was next to the Majestic, not across from it. Remember the blue metal sign that hung over the sidewalk? That sign must have had over one hundred twinkling little light bulbs. The Manhattan was always busy.

Neisner's at the corner of Broadway & Houston was always fun to go to as was Grant's, Kress & Woolworth's. I remember the Neisner's monkey was young looking. and always romping around in its wired cage.

Neisner's used to sell gold fish in those Chinese food cadboard boxes with a wired handle.

Neisner's had those nice curved glass windows as you walked in the store.
Yep !! As a young kid you'd be in awe off all the giant signs and lighting downtown. I believe I saw in "Sea Islands" history the owners once owned Manhattan Restaurant. I remember those places you mention and Wolff & Marx and Joskes were great. I haven't frequented downtown as much as an adult. So I have a problem with exact locations of these businesses.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:32 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,023 times
Speaking of the Green Gate. Do you remember when the owner of GG and also the publisher of Hustler Magazine, Larry Flynt, both got religion at the same time. I forget who the preacher was. But Larry's convertion didn't last long. His wife wouldn't put up with it. It costs her big bucks!!
The Green Gate changed its format and started giving soldiers religion and that was the end of the Green Gate.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:03 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
It was Bob Harrington that "converted" the Green Gate personnel.

Bob was called "The Chaplain Of Bourbon Street."

I worked as a Fuller Brush man in 1971 with one of the emcees of the club. He acted like he was truly converted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio