Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2009, 04:49 PM

237 posts, read 850,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I remember the photo you posted Bud! Love to have more of the old station photos like that.
Wish I had shot more San Antonio gas stations but the one below is all I have left. This was Schwab's Service out on old hi-way US 90 toward Seguin as it looked in Jan.1974 when the slide was made. It had already closed down after being relegated to the I-10 feeder road so got little business like many others of its vintage. Schwab's was also a grocery store but one whose day had come and gone ... so it goes and so it went having long since disappeared completely. Bud
ps; I have slide somewhere of a friend pumping gas from one of the old glass top pumps into my Beetle and will post if anyone's interested, assuming I can find it. I shot the slide in Pueblo, Colorado summer of 1974 when even then the still working antique pump was a rare sight to see.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schwab's Gulf 75.jpg
Views:	1696
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	55052
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 03:29 PM

60 posts, read 208,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
That's a neat snapshot of the Capn' so I tweaked it a little and hope you won't mind. It's kind of a hobby as I love making old fotos look better if possible. Thanks for sharing this one.

Attachment 55051
Looks great!

Old 12-27-2009, 11:48 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,856 times
Quote:
Wish I had shot more San Antonio gas stations but the one below is all I have left. This was Schwab's Service out on old hi-way US 90 toward Seguin as it looked in Jan.1974 when the slide was made. It had already closed down after being relegated to the I-10 feeder road so got little business like many others of its vintage. Schwab's was also a grocery store but one whose day had come and gone ... so it goes and so it went having long since disappeared completely. Bud
ps; I have slide somewhere of a friend pumping gas from one of the old glass top pumps into my Beetle and will post if anyone's interested, assuming I can find it. I shot the slide in Pueblo, Colorado summer of 1974 when even then the still working antique pump was a rare sight to see.
Attachment 55052
I am sure many of us are interested in seeing that pic. Hope you find it!

Old 12-27-2009, 11:59 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Does anybody remember "Let's Go To The Races" ... the game from HEB? You would get your horse racing game piece and then watch the race on TV. Pretty fun back then.....
I remember "Let's go to the Races". Does anyone remember another HEB grocery store gimmick that ran a year or two after "Lets go to the Races", that revolved around a poorly produced 30 minute mystery show that ran on KENS on Saturdays for a few months (maybe even just weeks)? Kens or HEB didn't produce it, I think in hindsight it was a nationwide marketing campaign that predated infomercials, and local stores just subscribed to the service.

I remeber being hooked on it, and I had my routine. I would always cook a Totino's pizza prior to the show so I could eat it while watching the show. You were given a game piece everytime you bought something at HEB. On this game piece was a name of character on that week's show (game pieces were good for only the week you got them). If the perpetrator was revealed to be the same person as on your game piece, you won a prize, usually a 5 or 10 dollar gift certificate for HEB. Anybody remember the name of the show?

Old 12-29-2009, 07:08 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
GW I remember that show but don't remember the show's name, it was very cheesy if I recall.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:31 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Quote:
Attachment 55052
Yep, I'd like to see more. Hope you can dig them up. May have been a couple years back I was looking through some Trailways and Greyhound bus sites. Lots of old photos of terminals ,vintage buses, gas stations, scenery and small town diner bus stops. I think I'll try looking it up again.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:16 AM

Default Flash Gas

Quote:
Hope you can dig them up. Lots of old photos of terminals ,vintage buses, gas stations, scenery and small town diner bus stops. I think I'll try looking it up again.
Thanx for the encouragement men and here they are courtesy of a Canon scanner that does slides and negatives thank goodness. I shot both fotos in June of 1974 at Trinidad, Co.'s Flash Gas station. My friend watched as the service station guy gravity fed the needed fuel into my '67 Beetle after first filling the big glass jar atop the pump. It was cool watching the gasoline actually leaving the jar as it emptied thus showing the amount purchased flow into my tank. That was the only occasion I bought gas there and have no idea how much longer they used the old pump ... probably until the EPA made them stop.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!! BudB
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-flash-gas.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-trinidad-gas.jpg  

Old 12-31-2009, 09:38 AM

Default Service Stations

Quote:
Lots of old photos of terminals ,vintage buses, gas stations, scenery and small town diner bus stops.
Could this be the website?
Google Image Result for http://img.geocaching.com/cache/2478eda6-ded4-41fa-a47a-756cfc1319e7.jpg

It's mostly old gas stations and some real beauties too.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:52 PM

4 posts, read 12,480 times
I remember Trippers own by Jesse who owned a music store on San Pedro. I loved that place

Old 01-01-2010, 08:37 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Anyone know the history of Wolff and Marxx, I know they were bought out by Joske's in 1965 anyone know when they started?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio