Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 03:54 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,856 times

Advertisements

Another lost memory, if you were driving towards downtown, immediately before you got to the Northwest Center, there was little office park-like structure on the left right next door. Facing the street was the Dungeon Comics. Man, I loved that place, must of spent hours there as a kid. I still think of it today as the best comics store I've ever visited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 11:20 AM

237 posts, read 850,964 times
Default cabrito al carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
My favorite Mexican restaurant of all time was across Mink from Chicken Haven. It was called Cano's, and was there for years.
Thanks for locating Chicken Haven and for mentioning Canos, your fave TexMex place. That was exactly my point in dissing the Mexi-Terias previously, that there were always dozens of good, cheap places to eat TexMex all over town. In the early '70s my favorite was the old Fernandez Cafe that sat on Lamar St. at Chestnut just below I-37 expressway downtown. Also family owned and long serving they made some of the best TexMex food I ever had in SA, consistently day in and day out for years. I regularly ate there twice a day while working on the East side and never tired of if. The original owners sold it in the mid 1980s after decades of service and it went downhill then closed for a long while. Last year I noticed it was open again and stopped by for lunch. It was okay but not great as it had been back in the day 1972,'73 and '74, especially when it was always packed around lunchtime and busy for supper too as often as not. There were and are still lots of places like Fernandez Cafe but few as great and as affordable. But what I really miss is cabrito al carbon since apparently nobody does it anymore. When you do find cabrito now it's been baked, hornito style and is simply not as good as when done outside over mesquite coals. Can somebody please tell me there is cabrito al carbon available somewhere in San Antonio!!

Last edited by BudB; 05-21-2010 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: syntax

Old 05-22-2010, 06:58 AM

60 posts, read 208,148 times
Quote:
Chicken Haven's address was 107 Mink. It later became China Haven, and then a few other restaurants took over the site. It was recently razed, and is now parking for La Fogata.

My favorite Mexican restaurant of all time was across Mink from Chicken Haven. It was called Cano's, and was there for years. After the Canos left, it changed hands many times, but never was the success of Cano's. Most of the employees at Cano's were members of the Cano family, and they became friends over the years. It was nice to visit with them while waiting for their delicious food!

Cano's started out as a to go only shop, and when the laundromat next door closed, they took it over and made it a dining room. The place certainly was not fancy, but the food was great.
I used to go eat at Cano's with my grandparents as a kid.. they had the best enchaladas.. you are right, the dining room was definitely not the fanciest place in town. I think I even remember some velvet paintings on the walls...

Old 05-22-2010, 12:27 PM

136 posts, read 331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyjp7983 View Post
It's a shame that they are knocking it down for a retention pond, as they have already built one right off Spencer Lane (and that is all that Woodlawn Lake really is too).
Nope,, not true. As I recall Woodlawn Lake was to least 50 miles across and hundreds of feet deep. It was full for sharks, killer octopi, and I regularly saw periscopes of German and Japanese submarines spying on Peacock Acadamy. ' course I was only 4 or 5 at the time, but I remember it clearly....probably...or maybe not. :-)

Old 05-23-2010, 04:30 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
I used to go eat at Cano's with my grandparents as a kid.. they had the best enchaladas.. you are right, the dining room was definitely not the fanciest place in town. I think I even remember some velvet paintings on the walls...
Another great Mexican food place was The Corn Shack on West Avenue, just south of IH 10. They had a tortilla making machine that was fun for a kid to watch

Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Another lost memory, if you were driving towards downtown, immediately before you got to the Northwest Center, there was little office park-like structure on the left right next door. Facing the street was the Dungeon Comics. Man, I loved that place, must of spent hours there as a kid. I still think of it today as the best comics store I've ever visited.

WOW G dungeon was a great place I used to like going to you, do you remember the flea market in the back of that building? It was like an old west set up, bought many baseball cards from some guy back there.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:30 PM

60 posts, read 208,148 times
Quote:
Another great Mexican food place was The Corn Shack on West Avenue, just south of IH 10. They had a tortilla making machine that was fun for a kid to watch
Yeah! I forgot all about that place... just down the street from the Trident diving shop if I remember correctly.. I remember they had some type of outdoor seating area.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:52 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
I remember Cano's. How about El Jardin on West Ave between Fresno and Hildebrand.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:46 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,735 times
Old menu from the sixties from Sommers Drug Store soda fountain on Goliad Rd.
$.60 for two enchiladas with chili
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-sommer-1.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-sommers-2.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-sommers-3.jpg  

Old 06-01-2010, 04:08 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default Goliad Rd.?

Goliad at Pecan Valley?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Old menu from the sixties from Sommers Drug Store soda fountain on Goliad Rd.
$.60 for two enchiladas with chili
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio