Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 05:27 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,682,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Here's as song that every native San Antonian over the age of 50 has heard MANY times. At least the first 20 seconds or so. It is "The Purple Pageant March", better known in these parts as the theme song for "Twelve Star Final", aka "Blood and Guts".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-vWnqL72qI

I can see the Lone Star Beer logo pop up after the Twelve Star Final logo in my mind as they were the sponsor for many of the newscasts.
The composer of that march was my ex-husband's grandfather. He was John Phillip Sousa's friend and composed Circus marches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 06:19 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Does anybody know the history of the house Aldo's is in by the Medical Center?

I don't know much about it, but back in the early 1960s my next door neighbors moved out of my neighborhood and moved into that house. They invited my folks and me over for dinner. I was only 8 or 9 at the time, but I remember the house was not in very good repair. It was the first house I had ever seen with ceiling fans! It was also the first house I ever saw that had an automatic dishwasher. It was a top loader. We lost contact with each other. I always felt so because they lived so far out in the country!

Old 07-02-2015, 10:19 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I don't know much about it, but back in the early 1960s my next door neighbors moved out of my neighborhood and moved into that house. They invited my folks and me over for dinner. I was only 8 or 9 at the time, but I remember the house was not in very good repair. It was the first house I had ever seen with ceiling fans! It was also the first house I ever saw that had an automatic dishwasher. It was a top loader. We lost contact with each other. I always felt so because they lived so far out in the country!
It WAS the country back then. When my parents bought their house in 1963, the city limit ended at 4-10 near Wonderland.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,602 times
My great aunt and uncle were the owners of the Green Gate. They did shut it down one night after giving their lives to Christ. They lived the rest of their days speaking their testimony and serving the Lord. They were AMAZING people. They turned it in into an art studio after that and my uncle sold perfume, watches, paintings, etc. they made the upstairs their residence. I would visit often on weekends and we'd ride the trolley, eat at a breakfast place neilarby and watch the river barges go by. Does anyone know what business is there now?

Old 07-15-2015, 08:18 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwille View Post
My great aunt and uncle were the owners of the Green Gate. They did shut it down one night after giving their lives to Christ. They lived the rest of their days speaking their testimony and serving the Lord. They were AMAZING people. They turned it in into an art studio after that and my uncle sold perfume, watches, paintings, etc. they made the upstairs their residence. I would visit often on weekends and we'd ride the trolley, eat at a breakfast place neilarby and watch the river barges go by. Does anyone know what business is there now?
I remember a club on Houston St. Another one was on St.Mary’s St.
Both clubs were near the movie theaters that I went as a kid. The Texas & Aztec.

Last time I passed by, the one on St. Mary’s was a Visitors Center & the other building
has been removed & replaced by office buildings.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:47 PM

5 posts, read 7,797 times
More info on the origins of the Horn Palace in San Antonio, Texas...

(edited - be back later)

George Dill

Last edited by gdillcd15; 08-07-2015 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: rules

Old 08-12-2015, 09:45 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Just posting some links that may be of interest .....
From SA's early film days...
Actress dies from burns in 1923 freak accident on S.A. film set - From the Vault
1940's look at the Medical Art Building (Emily Morgan)...
Emily Morgan Hotel shown when it was Medical Arts Building - From the Vault

Old 08-16-2015, 05:05 PM

5 posts, read 8,032 times
On the northside of town Robert E. Lee High School . Not right to forget those who graduated from this great school. it might satisfy those who want the name change but its not satisfying those who don't want the name change think about it that way

Old 08-16-2015, 06:55 PM

136 posts, read 331,935 times
I'm coming back to SA for a visit next month and, at the risk of starting WW III, am asking where one gets a really good Chicken Fried Steak now a days. We used to go to the Alamo Steakhouse. Is it still there and are the Chicken Fried Steaks still good? Good to me means juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside, and the crust doesn't fall off when you cut it. Gotta have some tangy gravy, smashed 'taters and corn on the side, and lots of sweet tea, too. A little pecan pie to finish wouldn't hurt. There's no such thing in New England, and I miss it alot!

Old 08-17-2015, 02:22 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
I'm coming back to SA for a visit next month and, at the risk of starting WW III, am asking where one gets a really good Chicken Fried Steak now a days. We used to go to the Alamo Steakhouse. Is it still there and are the Chicken Fried Steaks still good? Good to me means juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside, and the crust doesn't fall off when you cut it. Gotta have some tangy gravy, smashed 'taters and corn on the side, and lots of sweet tea, too. A little pecan pie to finish wouldn't hurt. There's no such thing in New England, and I miss it alot!
I don't think they around anymore. However, both Tip Top Cafe and Charlie's have good Chicken Fried Steak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio